England In India - October 2011/12

as a little footnote regarding trott/dravid

dravid's s/r is close to 42

trott's is almost 50,alongside a test average of 67...

i think you'll find that about 90% of test batsmen have a strike rate of around 50,but only one batsman with a minimum of 1000 runs has a higher average than trott,care to guess who that is?

Just out of interest after today, do we need to whitewash India to go into the Number 1 spot, or do we just need to win the series.

And I'm eager to watch the Indian batsmen against the swinging ball from Anderson, tremlett and broad.

Watch out. At the maximum, they will make the Indian batsmen dance to their tunes in the first test at Lord's (that is if our bowlers don't do a similar thing to your batsmen). Once India crosses Lord's (and cross that typical 'first test of the tour' jinx), we'll see who does what to the other.

Just out of interest after today, do we need to whitewash India to go into the Number 1 spot, or do we just need to win the series.

I think just a series victory would do , provided India don't whitewash the Windies .

I think ENG would have to beat IND & hope IND lose in the caribbean b4 (which looks unlikely given WI will not have their best team) for them to get # 1.

I think ENG would have to beat IND & hope IND lose in the caribbean b4 (which looks unlikely given WI will not have their best team) for them to get # 1.

Trust me , the Windies can see off this second string Indian side .

You really think so? West Indies of today don't deserve such huge compliments in their favor.

Seeing off does not necessarily mean a series victory , especially for a minnow test side like WI . A draw is what I'm expecting from the Windies at the most .

What?. You have lost me here, what does India series vs WI in the 1980s have anything to do with what i said?????.

Really i am struggling to follow you arguments now. Where did i question whether the average age of the 2011 ENG team is more or less than the 2005 Ashes winning side???.

My counter-point to your odd assertion that "England will go into rebuilding if they lose to India is ludicrous. Their is no ageing players in the England team currently @ the flag end of their careers. But however quite clearly other than Strauss,, they are many players in the late 20s who are potentially peaking. So quite obviously win or lose vs India this side will be together for another 4 years once the same injury cures that struck the 2005 Ashes side does not return.

I feel like i just stated the bloody obvious their.

Anderson & Tremlett of 2007 are not on the same level of Anderson & Tremlett of 2011 sir. Any ardent follower of English cricket would tell you that.

Anderson would not have even played in that 2007 tour if Flintoff & Hoggard & Harmison were fit. Anderson was still trying to establish himself as a bowler in the England set-up in 2007. Anderson recent Ashes performance is what fully convinced the world that he more than just a bowler that needs seaming conditions to do well.

Tremlett also was just a young bowler in 2007. He didnt disgrace himself in 2007. But quite obviously Tremlett currently based on his Ashes performance & demolition of the Sri Lanka batsmen in the just concluded 1st test is peaking as a test bowler.

So quite obviously the Anderson & Tremlett that India faced in 2007, are much more developed bowlers in 2011. If this is not obvious to you my friend, then you clearly haven't been following English cricket very well in recent years.

Broad does not need swinging conditions to be effective. He has other strenghts. Plus England have alof quality quick bowling depth in Finn, Onions, Shazad, Bresnan. Something they didn't have in 2007.

Plus no. The 2008 England side that toured India is not on the same level as the current England set-up. What have you been smoking???. That England team lost 1-0 in the west indies in 2009.

The current legacy of this England team whether it goes onto greatness or not starts from their 2010/11 Ashes win.

So Warne didn't have any impact in the 2004 series win in India at all you are telling me???.

Gillespie was playing half fit when IND toured AUS in 03/04. That was quite obvious. When he was fully fit for the return tour to IND he owend IND batsmen.

Given the flatness of the pitches in the 03/04 series. I am quite confident IND would not have drawn that 03/04 series if both McGrath/Warne were fully-fit.

Once Warne had a fully fit Mcgrath/Gillespie to support him as was the case in the 2004 tour to IND, he would have done a similar job in the 2003/04 home series.

Where did i suggest that the 2005 ENG Ashes winning side was great side???.

I have already written above again on why you claiming a lack-of-McGrath would have prevented England from winning is a faulty theory. So you can quit trying to play down England 05 Ashes achievement, so you just embarrassing yourself.

Haha i love the certainty & arrogance of your argument. Its is utterly ridiculous to suggest in IND way that IND would not have won that series even if they had managed to win the chennai test.

None of us know what could have happened. But if one wishes to venture into the hypothetical, if one used trends of what happened in that series, you can only give edge to Australia again:

- NONE of the India batsmen except Sehwag averaged anything respectable in that 2004 series. The great AUS 4-man attack absolutely OWNED ALL OF THEM!!:

Cricket Records | Records | Border-Gavaskar Trophy, 2004/05 - India | Batting and bowling averages | ESPN Cricinfo

Look at the averages. Except for Sehwag all of the top 7 batsmen averaged below 30. How in god's name then could you be argue with certainty that on a wearing 5th day wicket with the AUS bowler owning the batsmen all series, that Ind would have won. Evidence of circumstances of that series clearly gives hypothetical edge to AUS great attack defending that target.

Plus you haven't checked up on what i said about Australia's dead rubber record during the 95-2007 glory years. Evidence again clearly suggest that AUS always gave away test dead rubber test after they won series consistently for over 12 years as world champions.

Oh dear. I am not comparing the abilities of Trott to Dravid. So their is no need to question whether Trott has faced similar quality bowling attacks to Dravid. Learn to read & comprehend sir.

I am comparing their batting STYLES. Which is very defensive & one paced. Both being the players in which their respective teams depend on to achor their test innings

Now that England have just managed to win this current test match on the final day. I hope you will now see that your crazy tirade against Trott slow scoring has been nothing more than noise. Even with alot of time was lost due to rain.

So at the moment, Trott can clearly continue to score @ his pace, since ENG have the bowling attack to penetrate any international batting line-up, once they have enough time to do so.

Well do you think before writing? You wrote India barely best England which is not true. We best them by 10 wickets in first test and drew comfortably in next 2. Talk about hyping a mediocre test team.

They were never injured. They faked injury. We know that Ashes winning squad didn't win a single series in sub-continent after that.

Well Tendulkar, Laxman,Sehwag and Gambhir have also peaked. Do you know the average of Indian batsman in last 2 years.? Do you know the average of Zaheer in last 2 years. So the batsman you are facing are also better this time.

You will play only 4 bowlers in the match. Does it matter how many reserves you have? All are not going to play at the same time.

Another execuse that the England side in 2008 was different. We saw them what they did at the WC 2011. We saw that they were 1 wicket away from losing 3-1 in SA. Just keep giving execuse for loss.

And you have already embarassed yourself against India in last 15 years .And what Mcgrath would have not made difference to 2005 series.:lol:lol
How many series have England won against a side featuring Mcgrath. 0 0 0 :lol This backs my theory that England didn't have the ability to win a series against OZ side featuring both Mcgrath and Warne. :yes

Didn't India chase down 387 on the same chennai wicket in 2008 against your side. :lol:lol They needed to score only 200 on 5th day. Even if they averaged 20 in that 4th innings. Then job was done.Talk about delusion.

What India won dead rubbers and yet they had W/L ratio of 1 .:lol Is your mathematics so poor ?

Yep Indian batsmen were never unfit in 2004 tour. Tendulkar was never injured. Harbhajan played all the four test . Talk about selective quoting.Entire world knows Warne's woes against India in both formats. And you are bringing Warne into discussion. :facepalm:facepalm

England have quite a long way to match India's record against OZ side since 1995.
Team records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Just look at your pathetic side in that record.You have a long way to go.

And we will see how Trott and cook scoring will help you against India.

----------

Whats your point?. Obviously if a WC goes the SC all the cricket nations would take turns in having games.

Revenue should not be the determinant factor when judging who should get the world-cup. Fact the sub-continent has had more than enouh world tournaments since AUS/NZ last had the WC in 1992. So basically come the next WC AUS/NZ would have had no world tournaments for 23 years which is madness. Luckily AUS are one of the richer nations & their team was so great during this period, so it technically never bothered them financially. But it was still wrong.

I had no problem at the end of the day with the test being played for the recent AUS tour last last year. But fact is if IND was not ranked # 1 according to the rankings they would not asked to play those tests, to try & win to validate their # 1 status.

You never saw Australia between 1995-2007 trying to ask no team to tour Australia unexpectedly.

How disrespectful to the English community.

South Africa & Irishmen or any other nations playing for England HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH MANIPULATION. Those players made conscious decisions to play for England based on personal reasons. England is mulit-cultural 1st world country where many people from the 3rd world etc see a has a chance to better themselves via sports etc. So cut the crap.

SMDH. :facepalm. Again FAIL.

England hastiliy arranged that 2009 tour with WI because the S Lanka team cancelled their tour due to their main players clashing with the IPL:

ECB and Sri Lanka agree to postpone tour | England Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Unless you can find an article that shows conclusively that the MCC (their was no ECB in the 1980s, get it right) was FORCED to give up the 1987 WC to Asia. Then again this is nothing more that utter trolling.

As far as i know & most sane cricket fans know. The 1987 WC was given the Asia quite freely by the MCC.

Technically, England should have never hosted 3 WC in a row. Now that they have hosted they should not whine when others are hosting.

Oh no. Again your information is wrong.

Every team plays atleast 2 home series in a year. Fact is that SA and OZ tour
came in place of Bangladesh and WI . WI have never toured India since 2002. And Bangladesh have never toured India.(Financial consideration) So please spare us of rubbish thinking that India manipulated rankings. :rolleyes
Team records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
See India have played only 4 test series same as anyother country at home in last 2 years.

MCC was forced to give WC to sub-continent in 1987. This is a fact.

----------

as a little footnote regarding trott/dravid

dravid's s/r is close to 42

trott's is almost 50,alongside a test average of 67...

i think you'll find that about 90% of test batsmen have a strike rate of around 50,but only one batsman with a minimum of 1000 runs has a higher average than trott,care to guess who that is?

Who doesn't average 60 in last 2 years ?:lol Of all the player who have scored more than 1000 runs in last 2 years Trott has the lowest SR. Kallis, Tendulkar, Sehwag average more than Trott in last 2 years. And they didn't play Bangladesh 4 times and this SL attack .

Thanksgod. Kambli was Indian not English. Otherwise English would say Kambli > Lara because he averages more.

Last edited:

Even if India lose 3 to 0 to West Indies and England win 3 to 0 to Srilanka, India will be on 120 points and England on 118. Provided England white wash the lankans by 3 to 0. If it's 2-0 to England to Sri Lanka then its 117 points and if 1-0 then 116 points.

But if Srilanka draw the series by snatching a win in the series England go one point minus. And a rare scenario but if England lose 2 to 1 against Sri Lanka then its 112 points for them.

Yes so, Even if England beat India 2-0 they will be tied with 119 points each which will keep them on 2nd position. So England must pray, West Indies beat Indian 3-0 and they beat Lankans 3-0 and then India 3-0. Then they will be Numero Uno by 6 points :) ;)

Some people in the thread need to get a life. Seriously.

Close series, expecting an England 2-1 win or 1-1.

Users who are viewing this thread