England Performance Squad

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
England have announced their 25-man performance squad for this year.

Squad;
Michael Vaughan
James Anderson
Ian Bell
Ravi Bopara
Stuart Broad
Paul Collingwood
Alastair Cook
Jamie Dalrymple
Andrew Flintoff
Steve Harmison
Matthew Hoggard
Simon Jones
Ed Joyce
Jon Lewis
Sajid Mahmood
Paul Nixon
Graham Onions
Monty Panesar
Kevin Pietersen
Liam Plunkett
Matt Prior
Owais Shah
Andrew Strauss
Marcus Trescothick
Michael Yardy

Cricinfo said:
Paul Nixon and Matt Prior appear to be competing for England's wicketkeeping slot after both were named in the 25-man England Performance Squad (EPS) for the 2007 season.....

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/292464.html

No major surprises I hope Owais Shah and Matthew Prior turn out in England colours if they do it would be a very promising step towards sucess

Interesting squad with the likes of Broad, Onions etc.

I think the selection of Prior is positive and a big sign that he'll play come May 17th. Nice to see Jones and Trescothick in there.

On SSN they also said that 5 more players are going to be added to it. I'm just glad to see Jones and Trescothick back.

Who do you think will be in that 5 probably S.Davies and J.Lewry

Lewry?

No chance he's 36. Though brilliant in 'English' conditions if you will. Think Jon Lewis but Left arm instead of right arm. As much as Sussex fans love Lewry he isn't appearing in an England shirt any time soon :D

Davies? Can't see 3 keepers in the squad though maybe, who knows.

I think the selection of Prior is positive and a big sign that he'll play come May 17th. Nice to see Jones and Trescothick in there.

You have no idea how much I hope that happens :D

DIdn't know there was a thread on this :p
The 25 man squad for the summer had no real surprises. Good to see the selectors considering Tres but they'd be stupid not too. Nixon or Prior is the question now and good to see Broady in! Would rather have Rashid than a few of those players,he's probably already a better all round player than Dalrymple but its still early for him.

If england selected Nixon and Loye dont be surprised to see Lewry or Dean lol

I think it's a good squad selection. Great news to see Tresco and Jones back into the side. It is rumoured that Giles will be added to the 25, but will be interesting to see who else. I would say Loye for definate...

Giles? Nah. His injury will be one that is on and off like a light switch.

It's laughable that he is persisting with Fletcher nothing players rather than asserting his new authority and turning English cricket into a new direction.
Yardy? Nixon? Dalrymple? Sorry, all too bits and pieces for me, Yardy nor Dalrymple have ever excelled at either discipline in ODI's. Nixon is too old, he's had a bloody good go, if he was 5 years younger, I'd keep him, but we have to look to the future. Therefore I think Prior and Foster/or Davies would have been a better decision.
Nice to see Broad in there though, he looks to have a huge future if he's treated well.

Good to see Shah there, finally shows that county form will get you consideration rather than whether your profile fits.

Don't like Trescothick or S.Jones being in there. I know alot of you will disagree with me, but for me both of them have to prove themselves as consistant performers again. I see not help from playing Tresco this summer and him not touring because of his stress related illness, he's already said he hasn't recovered and will not tour this winter. Only play him when he's ready to tour and be a permanent part of the side.

Jones needs to prove his fitness more, a couple of games without breaking down means nothing, I hate this amount of building up about him, if he falls over again in the next week or 2, thats probably him shot, forever. We're relying on someone coming back from a horrific injury and being a star straight away, which is idiocy.

For the added 5, I'd say we need another young Keeper, because the position is up for grabs so you need to throw at least one other into the ring for that one.
I'd like to see Rashid in there as well. I wouldn't play him this summer, he needs this county season to establish himself, but I'd include him just so he is kept in mind, and can be added to sqaud so that he can train with the best in the country, simiarly with Broad. Those 2 and Davies/Foster and Prior would really improve as players if they got exposed to England training sessions etc more.

Which is why I support an England A summer squad, who play all county games as possible, but also attend more England based sessions during the season, rather than including them in the academy in the winter, then providing them with no support or network to work with other than their counties during the summer.

THe thing with these squads its an indication to the player that they are close but they need to work harder so any future stars you are expecting to see in english colours in 2-3 years time should be in here

No sign of Chris Read and Nixon ain't exactly the right side of 35. Nixon i doubt will be a long-term option. Drop Mahmood to county for a little and let him develop into a shoiab-aktar and Brett Lee type bowler. He's an asset but right now he looks like Australia's current account deficit (just did an economics exam...).

Id like to see if mahmood could pick up the pace

karnog said:
No sign of Chris Read and Nixon ain't exactly the right side of 35. Nixon i doubt will be a long-term option. Drop Mahmood to county for a little and let him develop into a shoiab-aktar and Brett Lee type bowler. He's an asset but right now he looks like Australia's current account deficit (just did an economics exam...).

What, he takes more from the opposition than he gives?

Users who are viewing this thread