England Performance Squad

I feel that England needs to introduce Matt Prior into the team as Paul Nixon is too old and the sooner Prior goes in the better for English cricket.

Prior is the best wicket keeper batsmen in england

I really dont know its the english selectors weird minds just like why was mal loye in the team

Exactly, good point mate. Well at least he didn't get picked for the World Cup squad. And also why am i complaining i'm Aussie lol.

etho11 said:
Well then why is Paul Bloody Nixon in the team?

Because the younger players can learn from him and plainly has had a positive influence on the side in the past 3 months. With a squad of 30 not all of them are going to play, and you can spare a spot for somebody who has something to offer if not on the pitch then off it in training.

I really dont know its the english selectors weird minds just like why was mal loye in the team

Because he's something different at the top of the order. Yeah, he wasnt brilliant but neither is Ed Joyce, Michael Vaughan, Andrew Strauss, Ian Bell in ODIs...

I find it hard for young players to learn of Paul Nixon when hasnt played over 20 ODI's.

I assume this is a list of your contracted players, so why on earth did Chris Read miss out? The guy bats better than many of England's recognized batsmen and keeps amazingly in the Ashes, and England forget him straight away?

Yeah that was weird after the Ashes where he did reasonabilly they just threw him out the door i feel he has been hard done by.

He did well with the gloves if I remember correctly, but scores of 3, 26, 2 and 4 aren't good enough. Also, afterwards he made public his thoughts on the Ashes selection, I think he called it bewildering.

And dont have a go at Nixon, I don't believe he should play in the tests, but he deserves the chance for some brilliant performances in the world cup.

PhilD123 said:
He did well with the gloves if I remember correctly, but scores of 3, 26, 2 and 4 aren't good enough. Also, afterwards he made public his thoughts on the Ashes selection, I think he called it bewildering.

Paul Nixon though wasn't much better with the bat. I would take time in developing him than rather send in a guy nearly as old as my grampa. :D

I find it hard for young players to learn of Paul Nixon when hasnt played over 20 ODI's.

Yet he has still been able to influence the team in some ways, and that is plainly evident. Does Keven Pietersen attempt that reverse sweep that went for four byes sans Nixon? Probably not. He has shown himself to be better than most of the England lower order players when it comes to being innovative at the death, and frankly England need as much innovation as they can get.

Yeh but whats the point if he wont be in the side at the end of the year. Chris Read or Matt Prior have missed out on 12 months of development.

etho11 said:
Paul Nixon though wasn't much better with the bat. I would take time in developing him than rather send in a guy nearly as old as my grampa. :D
How much of this world cup did you actually watch? :rolleyes:

He got so close to getting England to the finish line against Sri Lanka. Got us a competitive target in the New Zealand game, similar in the Canada game iirc, got England virtually home against the West Indies, also got an important 20 not out against Bangladesh to take us past the finish line.

etho11 said:
Yeh but whats the point if he wont be in the side at the end of the year. Chris Read or Matt Prior have missed out on 12 months of development.
I feel Matt Prior will play to be honest, his selection in the squad I think is a big sign.

To be honest, I feel Read has blown his England chances now.

etho11 said:

Firstly, Chris Read is 28. Not old, but we're not talking lock up the wickey job for the next decade. Secondly his test match batting in the Ashes has been woeful. Statistically, his average in Tests and One Dayers or 19 and 18 respectively is not acceptable and England need to look further beyond a 28 year old who hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

Nixon won't be in the test side, but with England never really having a dominant keeper batsman in the 50 over game, and having a nice little nudger/nurdler in Nixon, the hope is, I think, that he can help Prior get that extra dimension in his game.

Users who are viewing this thread