England Performance Squad

Frozzy said:
Firstly, Chris Read is 28. Not old, but we're not talking lock up the wickey job for the next decade. Secondly his test match batting in the Ashes has been woeful. Statistically, his average in Tests and One Dayers or 19 and 18 respectively is not acceptable and England need to look further beyond a 28 year old who hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

Nixon won't be in the test side, but with England never really having a dominant keeper batsman in the 50 over game, and having a nice little nudger/nurdler in Nixon, the hope is, I think, that he can help Prior get that extra dimension in his game.

When your 28 12months is along time for your international cricket career.

etho11 said:
When your 28 12months is along time for your international cricket career.

The international cricket career he's blown with sub-par performances with the bat. The England tail is long enough as is to carry a keeper, however good he may be, with an average of 18.

aus5892 said:
I assume this is a list of your contracted players, so why on earth did Chris Read miss out? The guy bats better than many of England's recognized batsmen and keeps amazingly in the Ashes, and England forget him straight away?

12 of the squad are contracted, they have a * next to their name in the list if they are contracted.

Someone mentioned Yardys inclusion in the squad (I'm going to go on a county defensive ;)). In his England games he did look nervous but I also think he played a huge part in our draw with Pakistan. He's not a KP type player more along the lines of a Collingwood work horse, he bowls spin that is suited to ODI cricket imo. And given Montys lack of penetration in ODIs we could play both. Another reason why he didn't look flourishing with the bat is that he was picked when he was out of form, something which bemused me. He did average over 50 last year. Still learning the game, only been bowling spin for 3 1/2 - 4 years.

Users who are viewing this thread