Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
You wont retain THE ASHES anymore

Last edited:

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
The pitches will be interesting. From the interviews yesterday Harris seemed convinced that the pitches in this series had suited England but I'm not so sure about that.
Trott, Cook and KP have great records in Australia, Bell has just been player of the series and extra bounce ought to suit a back foot player like Root.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
England are taking this, maybe not as convincingly as the last time but it will be an England win. Probably another 3-0. Cummins, Pattinson injured, might recover in time but how will they hold up for 5 tests?
There are still huge question marks over Watson, Hughes, Starc, Warner, how will they play, they've been too on and off. Smith has been a bit of a revelation and Lyons has done a decent job as spinner. Those are the only 2 positives I see for Australia. Oh and Harris, completely forgot, the best Aus player in the whole series.

midgetwars

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think it'll be Cook vs Clarke again batting. I just looked at the stats, it seemed like Cook didn't really have a really really good series at home in the past years like he did in Australia.

I think a better battle would be Clarke vs Cook in Australia, where they both dominate.

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I guess this year we have a record number of Ashes tests ever. There has been a record of 6 Ashes tests played 8 times between 1970 and 1997 but 10 tests beat that record by a light year.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
The pitches will be interesting. From the interviews yesterday Harris seemed convinced that the pitches in this series had suited England but I'm not so sure about that.
Trott, Cook and KP have great records in Australia, Bell has just been player of the series and extra bounce ought to suit a back foot player like Root.

All the pitches in England were drier than usual but I don't think they were unfairly so.

I think the pitches in Aus will all be 'good' pitches. Brisbane might look a bit green, but that's not unusual.

It's not in Australia's nature to doctor pitches (as much as Indian fans complain :p). How would they get doctored anyway? Greentops? England has batsmen better equipped to play the moving ball, and have good pace bowlers. And you rightly point out that quite a few English batsmen will enjoy the extra pace: Cook, Trott, KP all will enjoy the ball coming on. Best chance of Aus to win is probably with absolutely flat wickets where England bowlers won't get assistance and have to work hard - but that will rely on the Aussie batsmen having good concentration to make big scores...a risky proposition!

Looking forward to the Aussie team for the Tests, it seems amazing but I think the area there will be changes is in the bowling. One thing that Australia will be thinking about is how to get Ian Bell out. He was the difference between the sides. I think the two men looked at will be Mitchell Johnson and Fawad Ahmed. Mitchell Johnson has an excellent head-to-head record against Bell in Tests: in 176 balls to Bell, Johnson has got him 6 times for 76 runs. Fawad Ahmed might be deemed worthy of a shot since Lyon didn't really trouble Bell, and the other guy who got Bell a few times in his career was SK Warne. Would be a shame for Lyon, (I thought he bowled pretty well and he's ALMOST there - just needs a touch more accuracy) but that's the kind of gut feel tinkering the Aussie selectors love.

Last edited:

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
I agree. Flat and bouncy is Australia's best bet for winning the series.

Yes but don't England better batsmen? Australia have some good batsmen in their ranks but they continue to be discarded. Cosgrove is one of them. That said, given how much importance Ashes holds for both England and Australia, I would not mind giving a nod to David Hussey, Cosgrove and Hodge in the team. I might not be the most loved person after doing this but at least they can bat good for long hours unlike the current middle order batsmen of Australia barring Clarke and Smith.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
No hotspot to be used in the Ashes down under.

Stupid decision for me. They're basically saying because it's only 95% accurate they've decided not to use it and have 90% accuracy instead.

Sulaiman7

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
Pakistan
No hotspot to be used in the Ashes down under.

Stupid decision for me. They're basically saying because it's only 95% accurate they've decided not to use it and have 90% accuracy instead.

Well atleast England won't be having any advantages anymore....oh wait the umpires....

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag