English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters

chiefdave

School Cricketer
What a finish to the county championship season.

Not really sure there's a need for the extra game next week. Why not just give the Bob Willis Trophy to the winner of the Championship.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Have been watching the BWT game, and both Craig Miles and Manny Johal look very promising - Johal probably has the higher ceiling, his action reminds me of Mohammad Zahid Kagiso Rabada (Mark Butcher pointed it out and I felt silly for not realising).

Josh Bohannon also impressed me, even though ultimately he didn't get many runs. One of the few young English batsmen out there with a stellar red-ball record, as well as being someone who could send down the Collingwood/Trott/Jennings/Vince overs of dibbly-dobbly stuff

Additional note - I'd pick Luke Wood over Little Sammy Curran

Last edited:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Warwickshire win the pointless trophy, emphatically.

If it is the last Bob Willis Trophy then it's fitting that Warwickshire win it.

Although, I don't know why they can't just have the Championship trophy (whether it is a league winner or final winner) be the Bob Willis Trophy. Completely unnecessary having this play-off match.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Warwickshire win the pointless trophy, emphatically.
I would have a pretty solid idea how it could be implemented.

Two divisions of nine teams, and they play eight matches each - four home, four away. This brings the County Championship more in line with the rest of the world in terms of player workload. Then, after those have finished (in August, after being played every fortnight throughout the season), we have three rounds of playoff games.

1633369155530.png

I have no strong feelings as to whether the league leader should be the County Champions and the playoff winner the Bob Willis Trophy winners or the other way around. But if both competitions must remain, then this would make sense.

I don't know why they can't just have the Championship trophy be the Bob Willis Trophy
Also, this is the extra-extra-sensible move, which is exactly why the ECB won't do it

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I would have a pretty solid idea how it could be implemented.

Two divisions of nine teams, and they play eight matches each - four home, four away. This brings the County Championship more in line with the rest of the world in terms of player workload. Then, after those have finished (in August, after being played every fortnight throughout the season), we have three rounds of playoff games.

View attachment 255838

I have no strong feelings as to whether the league leader should be the County Champions and the playoff winner the Bob Willis Trophy winners or the other way around. But if both competitions must remain, then this would make sense.

Also, this is the extra-extra-sensible move, which is exactly why the ECB won't do it
There seems to be talk that the Bob Willis Trophy will be got rid of.

I'd be fine with two division of nine, but for some reason they might go with 10 and 8. :facepalm

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...eem-rafiq-being-called-p-i-was-banter-1286449

Apparently, according to Yorkshire's panel, the recommendations of the independent lawyers they themselves appointed can be disregarded, and the fact that Azeem Rafique was called a "Paki" (racially derogatory word for British Asians) was just "banter", but Azeem should’ve faced disciplinary action for calling a Zimbabwean player a "Zimbo", which is equivalent of "Aussie" or "Kiwi". Clear, deliberative targeting of Azeem Rafique for daring to expose Yorkshire’s toxicity.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...eem-rafiq-being-called-p-i-was-banter-1286449

Apparently, according to Yorkshire's panel, the recommendations of the independent lawyers they themselves appointed can be disregarded, and the fact that Azeem Rafique was called a "Paki" (racially derogatory word for British Asians) was just "banter", but Azeem should’ve faced disciplinary action for calling a Zimbabwean player a "Zimbo", which is equivalent of "Aussie" or "Kiwi". Clear, deliberative targeting of Azeem Rafique for daring to expose Yorkshire’s toxicity.
It's disgusting but not surprising.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Just a Kent fan dropping by to give a daily reminder to pay your respects to the cricket deity that is Darren Stevens.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England

Users who are viewing this thread