PlanetCricket Award Winner

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
I've been reading some of the bullet points on Reddit, and it's shameful that this sort of behaviour was accepted as just part of the game in this day and age.

Very proud of Azeem to stand up not only for himself but for future generations.

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
It's awful. That there's racism isn't surprising, but some of the stories, the fact that it seems to have gone unchallenged and people have been so open with it is quite shocking.

I wonder if it'll be the start of a lot more stories coming.

With all the old whites in cricket. I'd be shocked if it wasn't.

Toby

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yep, a change for good. But what's incredibly sad is that it comes at a price, and that is Azeem's career itself.

It's awful. That there's racism isn't surprising, but some of the stories, the fact that it seems to have gone unchallenged and people have been so open with it is quite shocking.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland

From the times I've got near the professional game, this is the very tippiest tip of a truly gigantic iceberg.

The issues at play are not only racism, but the racism being unearthed at present (and more specifically the widespread acceptance of it) is symptomatic of a wider culture in professional cricket of breaking people down and treating them with utter disrespect just because they are there. The pack mentality of professional team sports does lend itself to creating an "us" that believes itself to be better than "them". This was glaringly obvious at Worcestershire while I was there, and in junior cricket in the Home Counties where those from specific private schools were "us" and everyone else comprised "them".

This sort of shite is why I stopped pursuing a cricket career, and that is merely as a cis-het white male. I didn't have to face the discrimination that the likes of Azeem Rafiq, Maurice Chambers and (just guessing here) Steven Davies faced on a daily basis.

Right now is a moment that English cricket needs to seize to eliminate racism, and then to eliminate the culture that allowed racism to fester. It will not be an easy job, and it will not be done merely by naming and shaming a few individuals for being dicks. (That said, if it means we never have to listen to Michael Vaughan again, that would be a lovely bonus)

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
From the times I've got near the professional game, this is the very tippiest tip of a truly gigantic iceberg.

The issues at play are not only racism, but the racism being unearthed at present (and more specifically the widespread acceptance of it) is symptomatic of a wider culture in professional cricket of breaking people down and treating them with utter disrespect just because they are there. The pack mentality of professional team sports does lend itself to creating an "us" that believes itself to be better than "them". This was glaringly obvious at Worcestershire while I was there, and in junior cricket in the Home Counties where those from specific private schools were "us" and everyone else comprised "them".

This sort of shite is why I stopped pursuing a cricket career, and that is merely as a cis-het white male. I didn't have to face the discrimination that the likes of Azeem Rafiq, Maurice Chambers and (just guessing here) Steven Davies faced on a daily basis.

Right now is a moment that English cricket needs to seize to eliminate racism, and then to eliminate the culture that allowed racism to fester. It will not be an easy job, and it will not be done merely by naming and shaming a few individuals for being dicks. (That said, if it means we never have to listen to Michael Vaughan again, that would be a lovely bonus)

This. They need to put the whole lot in the bin and start again

Aislabie

Ireland
Oh great now people have a stick to beat Rafiq with. Sure enough, the Certain Subset Of Fans in the cricket group chat I'm a part of seem suddenly jubilant

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Oh great now people have a stick to beat Rafiq with. Sure enough, the Certain Subset Of Fans in the cricket group chat I'm a part of seem suddenly jubilant
Two wrongs don’t make a right, but that won’t stop them.
It just seems so hard to understand, if a person from an ethnic minority says they have been discriminated and mistreated on the basis of ethnicity, why do they always have to be accused of lying by a certain group? Is it insecurity or prejudice? Or both?

Aislabie

Ireland
Two wrongs don’t make a right, but that won’t stop them.
It just seems so hard to understand, if a person from an ethnic minority says they have been discriminated and mistreated on the basis of ethnicity, why do they always have to be accused of lying by a certain group? Is it insecurity or prejudice? Or both?
To the privileged, equality looks a lot like oppression.

To use a trite example, if 93% of county cricketers came from state schools, the private schools would kick up an almighty stink.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
How many of them were throwing their bodies in front of Ollie Robinson to claim that he was too young to understand what he was doing? When his historic tweets came out?

Honestly, the problem isn't cricket, it's the country. The Prime Minister is well documented racist. Cricket or certain clubs are just highlighting the casual and systemic race and, in my opinion, class issues that are prevalent in this country.

Aislabie

Ireland
Honestly, the problem isn't cricket, it's the country. The Prime Minister is well documented racist. Cricket or certain clubs are just highlighting the casual and systemic race and, in my opinion, class issues that are prevalent in this country.
Absolutely spot on. The only addendum I have to this is that in sporting environments these issues are often weaponised by those looking to achieve "marginal gains" or causee "mental disintegration" (seriously how did anyone ever think that was okay to say?) or even just to combat one perceived threat to their precious, fragile careers.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I'm not linking to The Sun article, but it's something new everyday.

“In 2009, I attended a New Year’s Eve musical tribute fancy dress party. I dressed in tribute to my musical hero, Tupac Shakur, someone who I’ve admired from childhood and, at the time, did not realise the offensive nature of this."
dk-comp-blackface-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread