Euro 2024 thread

I forgot the Round of 16 picks the 4 third ranked teams as well

1719449764322.png

The Dutch lucky to be in there alongside Slovakia, Slovenia and Georgia. Ideally, they should group the 24 teams into 8 groups of 3 each. That would be a better way of getting the Top 8/16 teams.

I forgot the Round of 16 picks the 4 third ranked teams as well

View attachment 296375

The Dutch lucky to be in there alongside Slovakia, Slovenia and Georgia. Ideally, they should group the 24 teams into 8 groups of 3 each. That would be a better way of getting the Top 8/16 teams.

The current format is quite poor but three team groups are even more worse IMO. You end up with some groups being weirdly seeded and you can manipulate standings a lot easier compared to now since group games can’t happen concurrently. FIFA originally had a plan of sixteen groups of three teams each for 2026 but they’ve adopted a model similar to the current EURO now because of how poor their original idea was. At least from my experience in Football Manager, I can confidently say that it was terrible.

What I would like is for the EUROS to expand to 32 teams or (copying this from r/soccer) adopt a model of six teams in four groups. Have the first placed team qualify for the knockouts directly and then have a playoff between teams placing two and three. It’s the type of format that would make the ICC proud due to it bringing in more games that could be meaningless and cutting down on knockouts but it’s at least more clear.

Italy deserves to go out. Only followed the game on text updates but that was pretty grim already.

No idea what went wrong, they were impressive in the first game and then lost the plot.

Rain stopping Football games now :(

LOL! In all seriousness, good decision - lightning is going full bonkers!

Apparently there’s a hailstorm too.

Not sure what it is with EUROs and rain affecting games, remember something similar happening in 2012.

Italy out of the tournament & Germany to the next round! GREAT DAY, TODAY!

Users who are viewing this thread