Fast bowlers or Spinners

Karachi Xpress

Chairman of Selectors
Me and 6 x Afridi(hope you guys know him) were debating on msn about who needs to work harder in batting, fast bowlers or spinners. And which are more likely to succeed in batting.

I would say it has to be Fast bowlers. What do you guys think??

Last edited:

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
Spinners. Any moron with a bat can tonk a bad spinner. A bad fast bowler can get through on his pace against weak batsmen. That's why fast bowlers rise through the ranks so quickly - you bowl quick and maintain a half decent degree of accuracy, and you'll get through most batsmen's defences. And when the pitch aids you with bounce or swing, it's even easier. On flat pitches, your pace will be more than enough against age-level group batsmen who normally suck.

For a spinner, unless the pitch is turning, you have nothing. You are a slow bowler, and every batsman can face you with no problem. This leads to some spinners giving up on flight and bowling flat, cause even tailenders can tonk a bad flighted delivery.

Spin is harder in general. It takes a lot of guts and brains to be a good spinner, whereas a good quick bowler isn't hard. It is considerably harder to become an international level bowler as a fast guy, as there is more competition, and once the batsmen get better you need to develop other tools to go with pace. But once you've cracked first-class level as a frontline spinner, all you need is experience till you are ready for NT level.

That's why you'll see a lot of Nat spinners have Test averages closer to their FC ones, whereas Nat fast bowlers tend to have Test averages fair bit higher than FC ones.

6 x Afridi

Club Cricketer
Yes, thanks zorax bhai for agreeing with me. That is what i think too. I mean sure there are really successful fast bowler-allrounders like flintoff, abdul razzaq, kallis, but MUCH more in spinning.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Personally I find it much easier to bowl fast than bowl spin. I can fling down a fast one that lands on a good length and hits the top of off with zero practice.

Spin takes a lot more practice, particularly legspin, because there is a lot more to think about. You have to think about where your feet are landing, balance, wrist position, grip, and the angle of your bowling arm while bowling spin, all that, and then you have to worry about landing the ball in the right spot.

Basically seam bowling is just run in straight and bowl it straight, it's easy.

Batting takes practice because you need to get into the rhythm of hitting the ball with the middle of the bat, you need to practice each different shot so that it becomes automatic and you can play them without having to think.

So in order of difficulty from hardest to easiest my opinion is...Spin bowling, Batting, Pace bowling.

bushy

Club Cricketer
Spinners are match winners

look at harbi and warne

Users who are viewing this thread