FIFA support quota rule

PhilD123

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7421348.stm

Now then, as a United fan, we've got a fair few British players so I think we'd be ok, but I'm against it. Foreigners have improved the quality of the English leagues so much, and if you look just at United, 2 of our recent legends, Eric the king and Solskjaer have been from overseas, as well as other clubs, Zola at Chelsea and Henry at Arsenal.

I imagine Arsenal fans are very strongly opposed to it, with really only Walcott in there now. It wouldn't be such a bad idea if it included the subs bench.

Anyway, it's a long time away yet I suppose and the squads will be completely different by 2012 I guess.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
I think clubs like arsenal would struggle if the rule were implemented now but because its being drawn out until 201 it then gives them a warning and will start buying more english players.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Regardless of how teams will struggle I'm for it. My only worry is that championship teams will start demanding even more than they do now. And that is where the problem really is, if clubs could purchase players from within England for the same money as they buy in foreign talent then we wouldn't need a quota system. You could blame the big clubs and their foreign players but actually I think the blame lies closer to home.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
The thing that annoys me is people think it will make England good. England are ****. England were **** 20 years ago when all the players were English. England would be **** if the entire premier league was English.

It should include British players though, otherwise players from Scotland and Ireland are going to have their ancestors traced backed 100s of years by uniteds lawyers and become qualified to play for England, not bothering to play for their own countrys, if you see what I mean :p

Anyway I'm all for it.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Most of Arsenal's youth have been trained up at Arsenal though, so they'd still be eligible, so players like Fabregas would be eligible as a home-grown player. It's a crap idea though, the reason our league is so good is because of the depth of exciting foreign talent. The main reason the foreign players are so widespread is also because of the value of British players, none of the premier league relegation candidates can afford the transfer fees of the decent British players, look at Craig Gordon, Darren Bent, Gareth Bale, all very expensive considering their talent.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
what a crap rule, English league was so good in last 5 years or so i've been watching.

Manly

Thor
Most of Arsenal's youth have been trained up at Arsenal though, so they'd still be eligible, so players like Fabregas would be eligible as a home-grown player. It's a crap idea though, the reason our league is so good is because of the depth of exciting foreign talent. The main reason the foreign players are so widespread is also because of the value of British players, none of the premier league relegation candidates can afford the transfer fees of the decent British players, look at Craig Gordon, Darren Bent, Gareth Bale, all very expensive considering their talent.

We didn't get NEARLY enough from Charlton. Fair enough, he's turned crap, but dayamn!

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Yeh, but Ipswich always get ripped off for their decent players. 250k for Gaardsoe when he was awesome, less than £1million for Hermann Hriedarsson, etc etc. Bent costing more then Terry Henry is a complete joke.

PhilD123

International Coach
It's more Bent's move to Spurs though, £16 million, very much inflated considering Henry went for a similar price at a similar time.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
It's racist. Well, countryist. I support what the rule stands for in that it provokes more homegrown talent, but I feel it will lead to players not being picked on merits. Like a sort of less extreme version of the South African cricket team's quota system. I'm not in favour of it to be honest.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
It's about as racist as shaving your head, tattooing "Mum" on your knuckles, wearing a white t-shirt with a red cross on it, drinking 15 pints of crap lager and throwing a plastic garden chair through the nearest bar window.......oh no wait :p

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
I'm totally against it simply because it is discriminatory and the fact that end of the day the best eleven should be picked.

The EPL runs because of its foreigners.

PhilD123

International Coach
I don't think its racist really, just think that foreigners have improved the quality of the English leagues. That said, it gives me a thrill when a hometown boy gets a chance at United, hopefully that will happen with Welbeck.

Animator!

School Cricketer
It won't happen. The EU will have a field day throwing this out with various rulings. This is dead in the water already, absolutely no chance of it going through.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
I'm not going by the posts in this thread but when people who support the rule look forward to seeing how Arsenal will cope, to shows them up for finding some sort of sadistic pleasure in seeing Arsenal struggle. Again, this aint based on any of you lot. Sepp Blatter is intent on halting the progress of English football.

One of the main cons of such a rule, as Kev mention, is the inflation in prices of English talent. We'll see players of Bentdner's quality (not to say he's crap) going for Adebayor's price. The need for English talent will mean that clubs will extort other clubs into buying over-priced under-skilled 'talent'. Plus, money talks and it will be harder for cluns like Arsenal to buy young talent with their wage structure when, for 5k more a week, he can go to Chelsea.

Another obvious problem is it contravenes with EU working laws. Fifa have no right to deny work to foreigners from the EU. Foreigners make the Premier League and a reliance on English players will make the quality suffer because of it.

Saying that, with the amount of English youth talent we have in Gibbs, Randall and Lansbury, we'll be fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread