• IE 8

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • IE 9

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've been using Firefox for a long time, but I'm thinking of switching to IE8 - the new security features as shown in the Win 7 adverts, such as highlighting a site in red, or blocking it altogether (as well as blocking dangerous downloads) seem like things that are well worth having. Also, IE 8 seems to d/l files faster.

So, what do you guys think?

Edit: Please say why you'd choose one over the other, whether it be FF 3.6, or IE 8/9. Thanks! :)

Edit: Is IE 9 a beta at the moment?

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
IE 9 is definitely in development didn't know if the beta was out yet.
Its up to personal preference but I find Firefox perfect with the adds on. Adblock is a biggie and its a lot quicker at loading streams and pages. Haven't really noticed the security features since Kaspersky Internet Security takes care of that whether I'm on firefox or IE.

Here are some good reads http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/technology/mozilla-revs-up-firefox-36-speed-by-15-percent
Internet Browser Software Review 2010 - TopTenREVIEWS

In summary if you are happy with whatever browser you have then stick with it.

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Firefox has addons feature + it is faster than internet explorer
Therefore , Firefox >>>>>>>>>>> IE

Abhas

Retired Administrator
In the battle between Firefox and IE, I would like to add, Chrome is doing well as a browser. Atleast it's working fine for me.
I have shifted 90% of my work on chrome, and use firefox for very limited use. I haven't opened IE in months, so you know where my preference lies..

Having used FF 3.6, it does feel faster, more responsive than the previous version. I always had a problem with running facebook on FF. Chrome does it fine, without any problem of hanging or freezing, especially while using chat.
I'll give 3.6 a try with facebook again to see if it's really better or i'm just thinking it is lol.

IE is sluggish, and lacks features which chrome and firefox offer - Addons.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
As many have said its mainly personal preference. Some browser may be faster, but honestly how do you care for a few milliseconds?

I use FF generally because its zoom works the best, and considering I sit a fair distance from my 22" I do need to zoom in websites so that I can read. Last time I checked Opera's zoom lowered image quality too much and Chrome just distorted everything.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
My experience can be different from yours:

Chrome is crap. Its so buggy. If you want speed switch to Opera. One of fastest browsers I have worked on.

Use FireFox most of times but recently had a chance to work on IE8 as had to check some reported issues. Have to say IE8 has enough powerful cool toys as compared to FireFox and addon's can be downloaded for IE 8 as well. Only problem I have with IE8 is its looks and that it stops reading code when it encounters a wrong embed code.

This is my usage:

FireFox: 50%
IE: 20% (include work from inside Winamp :p)
Chrome: 15%
Opera: 12%
Others: 3%

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
IE is crap and often gets crashed whereas FF works very smooth and fast :)

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Well, that was pretty comprehensive. Don't you think IE 8 is worth having for the security features I mentioned?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
No, what I meant was the way IE 8 highlights legitimate sites - FF 3.6 doesn't do anything like that, but I reckon they'll probably copy them for the next version. Does Firefox block dodgy free downloads as well - can't say I've ever seen it - or maybe I've just not downloaded anything dodgy...

Apparently, IE 8 highlights the name of the site in black if it's legitimate.

Edit: One other thing I've found - sometimes when accessing a secure site when using Firefox, although the address is an https, the little padlock often has a red exclamation mark on it - it goes away when refreshing the screen. Doesn't seem to happen with IE 8 - any idea why that is?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread