Following on is seriously flawed

blake

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I am a bit disappointed to see that ICC10 remains identical to past versions, in where enforcing the follow on is a terrible option for your team. This consistently happens time after time, I would say on 4/5 occasions which is far too many.

Basically, if you make a decent first innings score of 400-500 and then bowl out your opponents cheaply and the follow-on is available, you should never take it. The opposition will almost always procede to churn out a massive score, often getting stuff like 1/300 or 3/400 or something. It is simply ridiculous how much this happens, the opposition looks a completely different team and destroys your bowling attack which now aren't even a shadow of the team they were in the first innings.

I wouldn't mind if this happened rarely, but it happens waaaaay too much in this game for my liking. If you have a big enough lead, you would be better batting again, having a slog for 10 overs and declaring because you will have a far better chance of winning.

Just my two cents.

I don't see that happening too often :spy

Really? It always happens to me, it's just now after yet another instance of it I have decided to post it.

Perhaps I am over-exaggerating a little bit, but I'll record the results of when I enforce a follow-on from now on and post them here.

Doesn't happen to me very often either. You might have been just incredibly unlucky as quite often when I roll someone out in the first innings I win by an innings or I have very few runs to knock off in the final innings.

Just enforced the follow on and won by 10 wickets:

14meuqb.jpg

igot another problem where i get past the follow on target and when im all out about a few runs later i still have to follow on

There was a bug where if you got to 150 or 149 runs behind (can't remember specifically atm, think it was 149.) and were all out, then you could still follow on. This has been fixed in a patch for 2010, can't remember which one. Either 10.12 or 10.14, must have been 10.12, as we fixed a Test match follow on bug in 10.14.

Looks like I've been outvoted, must've just been exaggerating it... strange, though. :\

I'll try and get in the position to actually enforce a follow-on for once, it's a rare occurrence though.

blake added 9 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

Well, I had my first real chance to enforce a follow-on and did so in a FC match with Queensland.

Queensland: 351 all out
Tasmania: 167 all out

Poor conditions for batting and Tasmania looked weak, so I decided to enforce the follow on...

Tasmania: 6/396 dec. despite it constantly raining throughout their innings and ruining the batsman's confidence. Match drawn. Bowled exactly the same in the second innings as I did in the first innings, same strategies, same bowlers...

:(

i have never experienced such things.....i have won many times after forcing the follow on.....:):):)

It has happened to me in the past quite a few times, I would say you mat be exaggerating the amount of times it happens a bit, but I definitely know what you mean.

Just had a game, scored 734 in first innings, they scored 341, then following on scored 305/2 :/

Looks like I've been outvoted, must've just been exaggerating it... strange, though. :\

I'll try and get in the position to actually enforce a follow-on for once, it's a rare occurrence though.

blake added 9 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

Well, I had my first real chance to enforce a follow-on and did so in a FC match with Queensland.

Queensland: 351 all out
Tasmania: 167 all out

Poor conditions for batting and Tasmania looked weak, so I decided to enforce the follow on...

Tasmania: 6/396 dec. despite it constantly raining throughout their innings and ruining the batsman's confidence. Match drawn. Bowled exactly the same in the second innings as I did in the first innings,same strategies, same bowlers...

:(

That's the problem. If you use the same strats as in this first innings the ai bat very defensively. As a result bowling on 3 bars becomes useless unless the batsmen is very settled.

Try this.

Either bowling with 4 bars, full and at leg/off stump depending on batsmen preferences. Or, if you have a big lead bowl default line and length but with 5 aggression bars. :yes

Even in Icc06...after following-on a team would get a good start i.e Lets say, we scored some 400 odd...the opponents get bowled out for some 130....follow-on....in most cases the openers give them a good start, like say, some 90 for no loss....then either collapse or get some 300 odd to give us a small target to chase

but nothing like 400 for 2 and all...:p

There was a bug where if you got to 150 or 149 runs behind (can't remember specifically atm, think it was 149.) and were all out, then you could still follow on.

Yeah...You're right....In ICC2006, here's a screenshot of one CC game in my 2036 season. My team Surrey went past the follow-on score of 177 but still got the follow-on. :( ( being behind by 149 )

And certainly this isnt Cricket. Durham required 13 off the last 2 overs of the match with 4 wkts in hand and they settled for a draw by giving out 11 dot balls!!! They were playing as though they had only 1 wkt in hand. :p With 4 wkts in hand, certainly any team would have gone for a win. Anyway, I ain't complaining :p as I escaped with a draw :D

Fo.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread