Frequent BSODs again - Blue screen view info attached

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
OK, this time it's a problem with my computer and not my nephew's. :p

Recently, I have had numerous BSOD, all of which appear to be caused by the ATI drivers

I have tried rolling back to an older driver, but it happened again - only it was a PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA error, as opposed to the SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION of the previous incidents.

I've also installed some new RAM recently - I couldn't find RAM that matched my current specs, so I went ahead and bought some new Corsair RAM - 4gb DDR2. The only RAM in my system now is the Corsair: I've stored the other RAM.

Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5C 4GB 800MHz C5 DDR2 Memory Kit

I went to Corsair's site first, to make sure it was tested as compatible with my motherboard and I've run MemTest for four hours or so with no errors. The BSODs didn't start immediately with the new RAM, they started four or five days later. Just so I know, is there anything I need to do in the BIOS when installing new RAM?

Just for something to try, what's the best way to go about completely eliminating a driver from the system? Is ATI's own install/remove package sufficient, or could they be leaving old bits and pieces behind that may be causing conflicts?

Is there a way to test the GPU itself to see if it is indeed failing? I'm not getting any artefacting or anything like that.

Edit: There's one other annoyance - the keyboard isn't working properly outside of Windows - you know, when you want to choose a boot option or something like that. It's fine when Windows starts.

Edit: I just noticed something. My new RAM is supposed to run at 800Mhz, yes? Well I got this from my system information:

General Information :
A0 (RAS 1) : 2048 (Single Bank)
A1 (RAS 2) : 2048 (Single Bank)
A2 : Empty
A3 : Empty

Information SPD EEPROM (A0) :
Manufacturer : Corsair
Part Number : CM2X2048-6400C5
Serial Number : Unspecified
Type : DDR2-SDRAM PC2-6400 (399MHz) - [DDR2-800]
Format : Regular UDIMM (133.35 x 3)
Size : 2048MB (2 ranks, 8 banks)
Module Buffered : No
Module Registered : No
Module SLi Ready (EPP) : No
Width : 64-bit
Error Correction Capability (EC... No
Max. Burst Length : 8
Refresh : Reduced (.5x)7.8, Self Refresh?s
Voltage : SSTL 1.8v
Prefetch Buffer : 4-bit
Manufacture : 2000
Supported Frequencies : 270MHz, 400MHz
CAS Latency (tCL) : 4 clocks @ 270MHz, 5 clocks @ 400MHz
RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 4 clocks @ 270MHz, 5 clocks @ 400MHz
RAS Precharge (tRP) : 4 clocks @ 270MHz, 5 clocks @ 400MHz
Cycle Time (tRAS) : 13 clocks @ 270MHz, 18 clocks @ 400MHz
Min TRC : 15 clocks @ 270MHz, 22 clocks @ 400MHz

Information SPD EEPROM (A1) :
Manufacturer : Corsair
Part Number : CM2X2048-6400C5
Serial Number : Unspecified
Type : DDR2-SDRAM PC2-6400 (399MHz) - [DDR2-800]
Format : Regular UDIMM (133.35 x 3)
Size : 2048MB (2 ranks, 8 banks)
Module Buffered : No
Module Registered : No
Module SLi Ready (EPP) : No
Width : 64-bit
Error Correction Capability (EC... No
Max. Burst Length : 8
Refresh : Reduced (.5x)7.8, Self Refresh?s
Voltage : SSTL 1.8v
Prefetch Buffer : 4-bit
Manufacture : 2000
Supported Frequencies : 270MHz, 400MHz
CAS Latency (tCL) : 4 clocks @ 270MHz, 5 clocks @ 400MHz
RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 4 clocks @ 270MHz, 5 clocks @ 400MHz
RAS Precharge (tRP) : 4 clocks @ 270MHz, 5 clocks @ 400MHz
Cycle Time (tRAS) : 13 clocks @ 270MHz, 18 clocks @ 400MHz
Min TRC : 15 clocks @ 270MHz, 22 clocks @ 400MHz
There's no mention of 800Mhz in there - could that be causing this issue? As I said though, all the BSODs mentioned the ATI drivers.

I'm thinking of running Memtest again, overnight this time.

Attachments

• Blue screen.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I noticed that I had set the RAM to run in Single Channel, so I popped them out and reinstalled them so they run in Dual Channel - I don't know if that could've been causing the crashes or not. I ran Memtest overnight - 13 or so passes, with no errors so I don't think there's anything wrong with the RAM itself. :)

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It's DDR - transmitting twice per clock cycle, so the real clock rate is always half. This is one reason why it's good that it's getting more common to talk in terms of transfers per second (MT or GT), because bus rates are just one of many contributing factors.

Generally, even when Windows uninstalls a driver, it still keeps useless little bits of it, so I can't see why a rollback would do any different. I always recommend completely cleaning the system of old video drivers if there is a problem. That means deleting registry keys and anything leftover in places like program files or system32. The most user friendly way to do this is with a tool such as Driver Sweeper.

- uninstall the driver as far as windows will allow
- boot into safe mode and run driver sweeper
- analyse and clean
- reboot and install drivers

Have your new Catalyst on hand, but don't let Windows install drivers automatically. You might want to reboot to safe mode again to install your drivers.

Steam support actually gives this advice now, though it's a bit more paranoid. As long as Sweeper has permission to delete things from the system and you don't let anything become installed in the meantime, it should be right the first time.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
It's DDR - transmitting twice per clock cycle, so the real clock rate is always half. This is one reason why it's good that it's getting more common to talk in terms of transfers per second (MT or GT), because bus rates are just one of many contributing factors.

Generally, even when Windows uninstalls a driver, it still keeps useless little bits of it, so I can't see why a rollback would do any different. I always recommend completely cleaning the system of old video drivers if there is a problem. That means deleting registry keys and anything leftover in places like program files or system32. The most user friendly way to do this is with a tool such as Driver Sweeper.

- uninstall the driver as far as windows will allow
- boot into safe mode and run driver sweeper
- analyse and clean
- reboot and install drivers

Have your new Catalyst on hand, but don't let Windows install drivers automatically. You might want to reboot to safe mode again to install your drivers.

Steam support actually gives this advice now, though it's a bit more paranoid. As long as Sweeper has permission to delete things from the system and you don't let anything become installed in the meantime, it should be right the first time.

Thanks for the info. Touch wood, but since reinstalling the RAM for dual channel, everything's been fine. Could running in single channel cause issues then - it certainly appears to have been the case with me. :)

While on the RAM subject, would going to 8gb be worthwhile with mainly gaming in mind?

Users who are viewing this thread