Friendlies leading to the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

sid_19840

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I wouldnt judge too much by that performance as most of the key players didnt play,postives were Owen's fitness and general performance,Downing on the left and Walcott with his pace.Obviously the biggest negative was Green's injury and Hargreaves performance.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Interesting Sid that your positives include Downing... He was pretty dire all night. Apart from Owens fitness, I thought the only positive was Lennon on the right wing. Looked just as dangerous as he has done for Spurs all season.

Gotta feel sorry for Hargreaves, yet again plays out of position for England.

sid_19840

International Coach
puddleduck said:
Interesting Sid that your positives include Downing... He was pretty dire all night. Apart from Owens fitness, I thought the only positive was Lennon on the right wing. Looked just as dangerous as he has done for Spurs all season.

Gotta feel sorry for Hargreaves, yet again plays out of position for England.

I watched only the highlights of the game as they dont broadcast the friendlies here.From what I saw there I made my judgement.On Downing mainly I felt that he had a good understanding with Cole at left back.Lennon was also good,but as Ive seen him plently of times recently in the EPL,his performance didnt come too much of a surprise for me,infact I felt he was capable of doing even better.

cric_craze

Club Cricketer
US bounce back with Venezuela win
27 May 2006
by FIFAworldcup.com

Even without the services of captain Claudio Reyna, a new-look USA defeated Venezuela 2-0 in front of 29,000 fans on Friday night in Cleveland, Ohio.
A goal in each half from Brian Ching and Clint Dempsey saw the Americans put behind them their humbling defeat by Morocco three days earlier and steady the ship before heading to Germany and taking on their tricky Group E opponents Italy, Ghana and the Czech Republic.

With nine changes to the side that lost out to Morocco on Tuesday night, the new-look Americans went on the attack from the off and both Ching and Josh Wolff went within inches of scoring in the opening minutes.

The South Americans' goal came under heavy pressure in the first quarter-hour alone, with Reading winger Bobby Convey causing major problems up the left flank. Young striker Eddie Johnson and Wolff both looked in the mood as well, buzzing around the attacking third in the hunt for goals.

Although the visitors looked like threatening only on counterattacks, the Americans themselves were less than clinical in front of goal and from their handful of good chances created in the first 30 minutes, they rarely made goalkeeper Javier Toyo work.

All that changed in the 36th minute, though. Just seconds after spurning a golden chance, MLS leading scorer Ching appeared at the near post where he volleyed home an inch-perfect cross from Convey to give the States a precious lead and bring an end to their brief goal drought.

Ching nearly doubled the lead ten minutes after the break. This time a nice bit of service from Chris Albright on the right picked out the big Hawaiian, who could only watch as his stunning volley was turned away by the sprawling Toyo.
The hosts continued to pour on the pressure as the second period wore on, but Venezuela did threaten on the break. Giancarlo Maldonado nearly caught the US defence out in the 60th minute, but his weak shot let him down after he did so well to beat the offside trap.

A few second later Edgar Jimenez forced Tim Howard into a nervy save from distance as the tide looked to be turning. Juan Arango's 63rd-minute free-kick tested Howard again but the Everton-bound keeper pulled off the save of the match to tip the ball away for a corner.

The US rode out the storm and doubled their lead with a brilliant piece of football at the other end in the 68th minute. Some clever approach work from second-half substitute Landon Donovan freed Johnson down the right side and his classy cross was met by a diving header from New England Revolution revelation Clint Dempsey.

The US will play their last pre-finals friendly against Latvia in East Hartford, Connecticut on Sunday before heading to their FIFA World Cup base camp in Hamburg. They open their Group E account against the Czech Republic on 12 June in Gelsenkirchen.

After picking up a hamstring strain on Tuesday night, captain Reyna is not expected to play before the USA meet the Czechs. Craig Berhalter, who was called into the squad on Wednesday to replace the injured Cory Gibbs, did not take the field against Venezuela.

2828479294.jpg

974620541.jpg

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
France are looking good apart from Zidane. Them beating Mexico shows how screwed the World ranking is right now.

Holland well I'm not surpised that Ruud van Nistelrooy scored, he always is there to tap the ball in.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Van Nistelrooy tapped that goal easily, but he should have scored some other ones too. He didn't have a great match. Van Persie, surprisingly, was the best player of the first half hour. And normally in that position, Kuijt plays.

Also Eto'o and Song didn't play with Cameroun.

And I hope the Germans won't get excited by this result, since it was only Luxembourg.

Hariz

International Cricketer
ZexyZahid said:
Van Nistelrooy tapped that goal easily, but he should have scored some other ones too. He didn't have a great match. Van Persie, surprisingly, was the best player of the first half hour. And normally in that position, Kuijt plays.

Also Eto'o and Song didn't play with Cameroun.

And I hope the Germans won't get excited by this result, since it was only Luxembourg.

Certainly it was Luxembourg, but beating a team 7-0 just 2 weeks before the WC finals is no joke. The German side played well in the absence of Ballack, especially Schweinsteiger and Podolski. All the forwards scored 2 goals each so good signs for the future. I know Luxembourg were not a testing opponent, but you still need to score, unlike what happened in some other friendlies taking place.

sid_19840

International Coach
Hariz said:
Certainly it was Luxembourg, but beating a team 7-0 just 2 weeks before the WC finals is no joke. The German side played well in the absence of Ballack, especially Schweinsteiger and Podolski. All the forwards scored 2 goals each so good signs for the future. I know Luxembourg were not a testing opponent, but you still need to score, unlike what happened in some other friendlies taking place.

Totally agree,even if its against a small team the confidence will be sky high after acheiving that win,and also keeping a clean sheet.

Ive updated Post 1 with all the friendlies taken place to date.

Sid.

Sureshot

Executive member
Hungary on Tuesday, all the big names expected to play.

If Hargreaves starts there'll be trouble.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
sid_19840 said:
I watched only the highlights of the game as they dont broadcast the friendlies here.From what I saw there I made my judgement.On Downing mainly I felt that he had a good understanding with Cole at left back.Lennon was also good,but as Ive seen him plently of times recently in the EPL,his performance didnt come too much of a surprise for me,infact I felt he was capable of doing even better.

Nah matey, just a standard highlights program that shows what it wants to show.

Lennon was causing all sorts of problems, so much so that with 20 minutes to go every time he got the ball he was closed down by two players and immediately fouled by one of them.

Downing never looked like beating a player, and his end product was average at best.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Iran and Croatia drew, but Iran could have pulled off an upset as they were up 2-1 deep into stoppage time. Good signs for Iran not so good signs for Croatia.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I saw the result of that match too. Croatia drew with a penalty in the 97th (!) minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread