Good cricket books or films people?

Liam Stephen

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
In don't really know what to put here as the title really asks it all.

Everything from autobiographical too story based however.

PokerAce

Banned
Lagaan - Its an Indian film, so there will be some (lots) of singing and dancing. However if you can get past that, then its quite a good film, one that was nominated for best foreign film Oscars when it was released.

Its about colonial India, when a village cannot pay back the tax, and they approach the colonial rulers to waive off taxes and the Brits say, okay we will once you beat us at cricket or pay up thrice the tax.

A cricket match follows.

As far as I know its the only cricket related/based film, ever to be nominated for an oscar, so even if all the song and dancing is something you don't have a taste for, I would say give it a go.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
There is another decent one from India, called Iqbal. Again since its Bollywood, it has a few song sequences. But its really heart warming and definitely focused around cricket.

Synopsis: Iqbal, the deaf and mute son of a farmer, has a passion for the game of cricket and seeks the tutelage of washed-up, alcoholic ex-player.

Iqbal (2005) - IMDb

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Jeeva (2014 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A must watch film for any cricket lover,it talks about the politics done by N. Srinivasan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in Tamil Nadu cricket association on selecting players for Tamil Nadu based upon caste & how the hero(Jeeva) over come those obstacles,example:getting selected for Rajasthan Royals,performing well & making into Indian team) & the film also describes problems he & his friend(Ranjith) are facing in Tamil Nadu state team,despite performing well in the limted chances that they got.

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
Second XI: Cricket In Its Outposts is a wonderful book based on associates. And of course, Fire in Babylon trumps all other cricket-based movies/documentaries.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
the fact that no one has yet mentioned fire in babylon is criminal, imo

also ed smith wrote an interesting book comparing cricket with baseball (he ended up at spring training one year with the Mets, I'm not sure why) which I'd recommend - I found it in a library years ago so I can't remember a great deal about it bar it being good, just that he compared batting in cricket to pitching in baseball and has argument makes perfect sense.

grkrama

National Board President
This one trumps everything else :D

Buy KP: The Autobiography Book Online at Low Prices in India | KP: The Autobiography Reviews & Ratings - Amazon.in

you will find few if not any, more entertaining filmy read in cricket than this.

this one lists some of the best centuries over the cricketing history ranking them based on conditions and attack, its a good way to know some of the best innings in cricket especially ones that we havnt ben able to watch. The ranking itself isn't perfect especially the top 10 i rate lara's 150 over gooch but its subjective but in essence captures a lot of the best centuries in cricket's history well detailed with interesting quotes.

Masterly Batting: 100 Great Test Centuries: Patrick Ferriday, David Wilson: 9780956732118: Amazon.com: Books
Review: Masterly Batting | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I really need to watch fire in Babylon, I don't know why I keep postponing it. Tonight is the night !!

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Came across this trailer while looking for some unknown Cricket movies/documentaries - Beyond All Boundaries. A documentary around World Cup 2011 in India. Spotted Yuvraj, Ganguly and Ayaz Menon

Description: Trailer for the award-winning film on the 2011 World Cup cricket, directed by Sushrut Jain and produced by Kunal Nayyar of The Big Bang Theory.
In Theaters in Mumbai, Pune, Delhi NOW! Oct 10-16.

Liam Stephen

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
I'll be honest I wasn't expecting this sort of response so thankyou (I thanked every post individually too).
Well looks like a lot of movies and books to sift through, plus everything I have reserved from the library (10 current and ex-England autobiographies, they don't have any like Warne's, Ponting's, Bradman's, Lara's etc).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread