Graeme Swann vs Jim Laker and the legacy of English spinners

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Unless Adil Rashid has actually learnt how to bowl, I'd take those numbers with a pinch of salt. Admittedly I haven't seen much of him in the last year, but up until that point his bowling was highly mediocre.

Ye Rashid was always overrated crap.

Whenever Swann fades at the moment Briggs and Borthwick are the spinners for the future. Also maybe Dockrell too, if he does like Morgan and decides to want to play for England.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Ye Rashid was always overrated crap.

Whenever Swann fades at the moment Briggs and Borthwick are the spinners for the future. Also maybe Dockrell too, if he does like Morgan and decides to want to play for England.

None of those spinners have even the same level of talent as Rashid. His miles ahead. I like Briggs but Borthwick is just a typical bowler and lets not even go near Dockrell. England lacks quality spin, if Rashid is handled properly he can not just be a supreme bowler but a terrific batsman too. Flower goes on about wanting bowlers who can bat, that's Rashid.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Yeah Rashid is talented, but it's kind of like saying Steve Smith is talented for Australia. There's 'something' there, but it seems like it would take a long time or a lot of work for that to manifest itself. Until it does, I'm happy to see Rashid in county cricket to be honest.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
^Yeah Rashid is talented, but it's kind of like saying Steve Smith is talented for Australia. There's 'something' there, but it seems like it would take a long time or a lot of work for that to manifest itself. Until it does, I'm happy to see Rashid in county cricket to be honest.

Rashid has done well enough in country cricket to warrant a call up by England. Lesser players have had that chance. Plus there are some players, extremely talented ones that stagnate in the county game.

In fact, when Rashid was originally dropped it was pretty silly. He was hardly ever given his full quota of overs in both ODIs and T20s. I just hope England don't miss out on yet another top level player with bad management.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I had to check these were being posted recently.

I'm confused, he has become so poor he was recently dropped by yorkshire and has done no better since he returned, he's averaging 40 in division 2. how has he earned a call up?

he's played a lot of matches for someone who is not yet 25 but there's nothing particularly impressive about him beyond that. he wasn't given his full quote of overs because he'd become a liability and was being slapped around by south africa.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I had to check these were being posted recently.

I'm confused, he has become so poor he was recently dropped by yorkshire and has done no better since he returned, he's averaging 40 in division 2. how has he earned a call up?

he's played a lot of matches for someone who is not yet 25 but there's nothing particularly impressive about him beyond that. he wasn't given his full quote of overs because he'd become a liability and was being slapped around by south africa.

There are reports that there has been mismanagement of Rashid by Yorkshire.
But like I said, certain players can stagnate in the county game.

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I don't believe Graeme Swann can be compared anywhere near to the legendary Jim Laker..

Phen

School Cricketer
He's obviously a good spinner due to his record but I couldn't put him with the greats as I've seen too many Test matches where he has struggled with picking up top-class wickets and been a bit loose.

spooony

Club Captain
And only ONE India tour of Australia! Well 2003/04 was an India tour as well, but Warne was suspended and McGrath injured. Was especially sad because Warne vs Tendulkar was always a great battle, Tendulkar usually winning of course...but they only faced each other in 12 Tests. McGrath vs Tendulkar happened even less: only in 9 Tests - that was more the tragedy from Aus fans point of view because McGrath always did pretty well vs SRT. Considering Sachin has now played 35 Tests vs Aus, we have been unlucky that fate did not less us see the best contests more often.

Yeah I remember those days. Those were the days if Sachin got out all the Indian fans left the stadium and that was that for India.

In the test Laxman was there to back him up with his workman efforts. VVS if I am not mistaken did well against Australia. He was very underrated for me. The Kallis of India

As for a spinner. There was one guy who usually tested them for us. Sadly he is not playing anymore. He goes by the name of Brain Lara.

Swans quality said it all to me when a team decided to drop their so called "great spinner" in the 2nd test.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors

This is basically it.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
It's a fun and topical argument I guess now that he's gone past Laker, but I personally need a LOT of convincing that they are in the same parish. If Swann can continue on the good work here in India, maybe dominate an Ashes series or 2 - then I might start taking him a bit more seriously.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Well yes doing well in this current series in India is key to his future legacy for sure. But when you say you want to see him "dominate" an ashes series - what kind of dominance do you mean exactly my friend?

Users who are viewing this thread