GTX 460 but which One ??

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I am planning to buy a GTX 460 1GB but i cannot decide which one to buy. I was opting for XFX but they have stopped making any cards for Nvidia :( Please, help me out :D

My System Config -

Mobo - ASUS M4A79 Deluxe
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE
Memory - Corsair XMS2 DDR2 4GB (2X2) 1066 TWIN2X4096-8500C5
PSU - Tagan BZ 800 (750watts)
GPU - ATi Raedon = Plait HD 4870 1GB Sonic Dual Edition (1024MB)
Cabinet - Cooler Master 534

I know, AMD works best with Ati but Nvidia works good too. I have no plan of having dual GPU and hence decided to go for GTX 460 as my HD 4870 is no more :( The warranty period is too over. I am playing cricket 2005, and that card is even unable to give me 4 AA. Ridiculous :facepalm even PES autoplay getting stucked as well as HD movies :( I atm have 2gb RAM as my other one is gone but soon i will replace my RAm and will buy another 4GB so, total will be 8GB and a new GTX 460. Tell me, what GTX 460 shall i have and if i add more 4 gb, that means total 8GB, will my PSU be able to handle them all with ease ??

Help me my fellow Techs ;)

I know Khsitu will be annoyed with the AMD part and Gas will be more annoyed when he will see i am buying Nivida rather than another Ati :p

Cheers

Last edited:
Traitorrrrrrrrr :p

Evga is the best but a bit on the expensive side. Palit overclocks very well but it get pretty loud sometimes and MSI is quietest but expensive. If i have to pick, I'll pick the MSI Cyclone coz i prefer silent system. Zotac Fermi comes pre-overclocked and bundles prince of persia. It is more expensive than MSI coz its overclocked but it is not something MSI can't do. You can easily overclock MSI Cyclone and get more performance than Zotac.

A 750W is more than enough for an up-to-date SLI/Crossfire system, let alone your system. You'll have no concerns there. Rather, it is the quality of your PSU that you should be worried about. If anything you'd have to worry about the quality and efficiency of it, to which I've researched (and assumed Tagan was a dodgy brand) and instead its actually quite decent.

Can I ask why you'd rather a GTX 460 rather than one from the 500 series? You'd be better off picking up a 550/560 ti which is available at the same price point and is much more powerful/efficient in terms of its performance and price point.

Agreed; the only thing is that sometimes the difference between markets means unexpected prices or supply. I know Aus never really saw the benefit of parity

Supply and demand, especially in Australia given our locale.

At the store I was quoting the price at offered the GTX 460 for $240. They're smart, people would probably rather SLI their system rather than buy a straight out card for more. If you look around you can pick them up for like $150 but they aren't the 'quality' ones you'd expect to find at stores with an aftermarket cooler. Rather the leftover reference cards that people don't purchase.

EDIT: Also on a side note, don't be influenced by factory overclocked GPU's. They're a rubbish marketing scheme. Instead look out for in reviews the card's OC'ing ability and headspace. This refers to the extent of which the card can OC once in your hands. Cards that are factory overclocked can easily be met in less then a minute.

EDIT #2: Oh and I commend you on your nVidia choice, honestly, you won't look back at it. Furthermore, if you do want a solid recommendation (which I didn't even give) your going to need an outlined bduget your willing to spend. A 1GB card (a la, your 4870 or the 460 you want) at the moment may seem okay but its going to be a bottleneck in the coming year or two IMHO (Take Metro 2033 for example) - VRAM although subtle, does make a slight difference which is now by default generally at least 1.3GB.

Last edited:
Those OC models are sometimes nearly all you can find. If there's an ASUS card, you can pretty much guarantee it'll be the DirectCU one with a 10 MHz overclock applied. On the other hand there are a couple that do 10% OC. This might be because no new cards have come out for a while and they're all making non-reference boards to keep people interested in paying full price.

460 might be a bit sideways, but it is a still-functional card in a low price range. It depends on how tight your budget is. Personally, I've only been able to make big upgrades by planning for them; when it comes to replacements, I've more often settled with old or low-end hardware.

Its just that OC'ed models are usually marketed as being the 'power edition' or the 'super-overclock' model which is generally rubbish and come at a $20-30 premium.

I have the ASUS 570 DirectCU II myself, great card. I would've gotten' the MSI 570 Twin Frozr III (the best 570 out!) if it were available at the time. All up I spent $2400 for my computer setup a month ago.

Users who are viewing this thread