ATI Radeon X2900 XT Vs Geforce 8800GTS (2900XT = Winner)

siddharth2002

National Board President<br /><a href="showthread.
Online Cricket Games Owned
The 2900XT is indeed dissapointing, not worth reading the 26 pages of guru 3d review :p
I always jump to the conclusion page, I know I am bit of a geek but sometimes reading those lengthy reviews loaded with adverts on the side can be so patience testing and boring.

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
Well, its an OK card, some features are nice but drivers suck truly.
ATi hasn't been able to optimise those 320 steam processors in this card, that's why it's all over the place. sometimes reaching 8800GTX, other times it is below 8800GTS 320.
those 320 processors when efficiently running can give 5x performance over 8800GTS, but inefficiently, then half of it.

most probably the nxt version the would have it optimised more.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Ati re-writes their open gl code, which has been previously lacking behind Nvidia's.

d32560.gif

Thats impressive, very impressive. Drivers just need to mature, atleast they are addressing issues that they think is better for a nextgen card, openGL, more shaders, more bandwidth etc.

Im eagerly awaiting ati's optimized drivers.

Info taken from firing squad.com.

Edit with the latest beta drivers, we see well, the numbers talk for themselves.

838dx9qh7.png

Info taken from rage3d.com

Last edited:

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
It is being said that the 2900XT has been too much optimised for 3d mark. I dont know if its true but it is reflected since in real world test's its quite sometimes behind the GTS.

cnbd_novice

International Coach
GTS? It had even been behind Radeon X1950 XTX a few times. Perhaps that will change once they are tested on DX 10 games. For now, because of the ridiculous amount of heat that 2900 XT generates, my eye is on the upcoming 2600 XT.

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
It is being said that the 2900XT has been too much optimised for 3d mark. I dont know if its true but it is reflected since in real world test's its quite sometimes behind the GTS.
ATi has always optimised there drivers to perfrom in 3d marks, hence never trust it.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Lol no. I just meant that i had confirmed it before you said it :) Thanks for the info :D

Dunno why do they optimise it for 3d Mark. A guy would definitely not buy such a card for running 3d mark.....

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Sorry to gatecrash guys, but 3mark is not exactly only optimized for ati software, Ati dont pay 3dmark for this, unlike Nvidia do to have their logo on the front of many games. Your are thinking back to 2003, when during that year ati optimized its drivers for that. But the thing is that IIRC when 3dmark05 came out there was a lot of controversy regarding the texture compression scheme I believe it was...they supported Nvidia's but not ATI's 3dc scheme and thus gave Nvidia an unfair advantage in the benchmark but it turned out ATI was pushing higher numbers anyway.

I think you guys need to understand something, 3DMark is not optimized for any GPU. FurtureMark has been very good in not writing it for any brand.
however nothing stops the GPU makers from writing their drivers with optimizations for 3DMark..

I say, Shame on them. I wish Nvidia and ATI spent more time fixing their drivers than worrying about 3D Mark.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
We are not saying 3d mark has been optimised, we said that drivers are optimised for 3d mark. its a shame really, no body buys a graphic card just to use 3d mark.

Users who are viewing this thread