Hangman v1.2 - My first Android game

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
#3 Hangman - My 1st Android Game

Well, still a bit of polishing is left. But I thought I shall just share what is done till now. The app is almost done. As in, 99.99% done. Just a little bit of performance tweaks here and there are left.

Special Features:

- Scores, wrong attempts left, attempted letters, and the hangman word all visible at a glance

- Several categories of games to choose from (Cricket, Bollywood, World Countries, World Capitals and India Capitals)

- Three different difficulty levels, namely, Easy, Normal, and Hard

- An option to research on the word if the player fails to identify it

- Quick toggle to enable and disable sound effects

- WIP (nearly done): Ability to easily add custom databases for personal categories like 'My Friends', 'My Family', etc.

Screenshot_2013-06-14-02-01-33.png
Screenshot_2013-06-14-02-01-53.png
Screenshot_2013-06-14-02-02-03.png
Screenshot_2013-06-14-02-02-10.png
Screenshot_2013-06-14-02-02-18.png

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Good graphics is the only thing it lacks.Nevertheless, you've putted up great effort in it.:thumbs

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Looks great! Would it be possible for you to make a Hangman graphic as well to go with the wrong attempts?
I'm gonna do it. Not in the initial version, but certainly in the coming versions.

Good graphics is the only thing it lacks.Nevertheless, you've putted up great effort in it.
This is the only reason I'm hanging up. A game should look like a game. This looks like a utility app.
I'm not too good with graphics, still learning. Tried making the UI a little fancy this morning and f*cked up a few things. Gotta redo them.

----------

And BTW this may also be my first app to soon appear in the Play Store.

$25 is a bit too much for my liking just to share app with friends, but then that's how Google works.

Last edited:

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Okay! So I obviously wasn't liking this UI for a game. Such UIs are good for tools and general apps, but not for games I guess. Tried a major overhaul. Was going well until I f*ucked up some stuff. Had to redo the UI, and this is what is done till now. Still not completely satisfied with it.

Have also added a category for Football players. Thanks to Simon for providing a database for it. :)

Screenshot_2013-06-14-22-25-48.png
Screenshot_2013-06-14-22-26-00.png

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Looks very nice, is it compatible with all android devices.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
So here is my first game for Android, Hangman.
You all would be familiar with Hangman, and so I don't need to explain it.

Compatibility: Android 2.2 (Froyo) and above

Size: 1.53mb

The features of this Android game are:

- Scores, wrong attempts left, attempted letters, and the hangman word all visible at a glance

- Several categories of games to choose from (Cricket, Bollywood, World Countries, World Capitals, India Capitals, Football, etc)

- Option to select from a variety of fonts

- Three different difficulty levels, namely, Easy, Normal, and Hard

- 'I Know It' feature to enter the word at one go

- An option to research on the word if the player fails to identify it

- Quick toggle to enable and disable sound effects

- Simple, light and enjoyable

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Tried it on my Galaxy Grand, looks really good.Very well done mate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-15-19-53-53.png
    Screenshot_2013-06-15-19-53-53.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 34

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Tried it on my Galaxy Grand, looks really good.Very well done mate.
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. :)

What's the admin password?

----------

I knew "Demba Ba" without even guessing a letter

Haha! Not gonna reveal it! ;)
The admin mode simply tells you the answer before every new word appears. I was using it for testing purposes.

And for the second part, I hope you would have used the 'I know it' button then. :D

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Yes, indeed. I was wondering if you could improve the scoring mechanism a bit.. If we "know it" correctly, the number of remaining attempts becomes our score..
Also, scoring in a streak could be similarly, the remaining attempts. It would increase the use of the know it button, or guessing correctly will have a better incentive..

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Yes, indeed. I was wondering if you could improve the scoring mechanism a bit.. If we "know it" correctly, the number of remaining attempts becomes our score..
Also, scoring in a streak could be similarly, the remaining attempts. It would increase the use of the know it button, or guessing correctly will have a better incentive..
Sounds very good. The only drawback is that the 'I know it' button can be misused when the remaining attempts are more than one and only 1-2 character are left to be guessed.
I guess adding a constraint like the button can be used only until 3 or more spaces are vacant shall be nice.

And so ToDo list stands this way:

1. Giving user an option to to create personalized categories
2. Implementing multiplayer (2 player) mode
3. Maintaining a local leader-board
4. Working on a better scoring system
5. Trying to develop a better UI (UX)

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Sounds very good. The only drawback is that the 'I know it' button can be misused when the remaining attempts are more than one and only 1-2 character are left to be guessed.
I guess adding a constraint like the button can be used only until 3 or more spaces are vacant shall be nice.

Haven't put much thought into it, but yeah, allow using "know it" only until you have made 3 guesses (right or wrong).
Know it will double the score, so for example, I guessed Demba Ba correctly without any guesses, I would be getting 7x2 = 14 points.
If I guessed A, and then I did Know it, I should be getting 6x2=12 points.

If I'm unable to "know it" till my third attempt, but don't get any wrong, I would be getting 7x1 = 7 points.
Each wrong attempt will reduce my points.
This would essentially mean, I have the possibility of getting (7-3)x2=8 points minimum for "know it", and 7 points max for regular guessing.

Sounds good?

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Sounds perfect. I'll be going on a trip tomorrow. Will implement it after I return home. And thanks a lot for the suggestion. :)

Users who are viewing this thread