Help solving a computer problem.

aryan_6668

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
hi guys i hope everybody in here is doing well. i currently have a problem with my desktop. its a compaq presario system. when i run the computer it stays on for a bit and shuts down and wont let me restart right away. if i am only watching videos on youtube or reading news online the cpu stays on for a decent period of time. but if i am playing games like cricket 07 or dealing with large files or intalls of large programs the cpu shuts down quicker and wont restart. Also, the cpu fan goes on non-stop.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Its better to show laptop to HP Service center.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
hi guys i hope everybody in here is doing well. i currently have a problem with my desktop. its a compaq presario system. when i run the computer it stays on for a bit and shuts down and wont let me restart right away. if i am only watching videos on youtube or reading news online the cpu stays on for a decent period of time. but if i am playing games like cricket 07 or dealing with large files or intalls of large programs the cpu shuts down quicker and wont restart. Also, the cpu fan goes on non-stop.

It seems that its the problem of your RAM,GFX card and mobo :(

what is the config of ur pc ?

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Well... sounds more of a Heating problem.
Make sure that the cabinet is well ventilated and kept in a cool place.

If possible, open the cabinet and clean the dust. Also clean the RAM connections.

Shouldn't be a problem of GFX card or motherboard.

Download some temperature checking utility to verify the cpu temperature. Or check in the BIOS.

Please give your configuration for better diagnosis.

@ Sid - Its a desktop not a Laptop :p

Ritwik

co-founder

What do you mean by won't restart? For how long. I think either it is a heating related issue or something to do with your power supply. What is the wattage of your power supply? Please post your detailed system configuration here.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
@ Sid - Its a desktop not a Laptop :p

Sorry man word Compaq only reminds me off my Compaq laptop which was bought at 1,15,000 and sold at 4,000. :crying

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Well everything except LCD were not working in it.

aryan_6668

Club Cricketer
my system comes with:
windows xp professional
Compaq presario 515j intel pentium 4 processor 2.93 GHZ 512 Mb ram and 160Gb hard drive service pack 2 INtel express chipset family graphics.

the cpu restarts after 5-10 minutes after it shuts down suddenly. Cpu heat goes up to 103C not sure if its safe.

Attachments

• cputemperature.JPG
    cputemperature.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
If that CPU temperature is correct then there is your problem. Pentuim 4's have the ability to slow themselves down to prevent themselves from cooking, but I believe they shouldn't get much hotter than 60-80 degrees Celcius.

Power off. Open Case and clean away the dust. Pay special attention to the CPU fan, use a paint brush or something to get the dust out.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
are you sure the restart time varies with system activity?
Is it not random?
Try leaving the system on doing nothing. See how much time before it restarts.

could very well be a virus..

D

Deleted member 13648

93C?! Lol! That's a massive cup size!

Oh, computers. Right...

Users who are viewing this thread