History was created in 1999

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
skysportslogo.gif

28th May 2008

FERGIE TO RETIRE?

n5lmpg.jpg

Just seven days after their emphatic penalty shootout victory over rivals Chelsea, Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has today apparently decided to retire. Manchester United have announced that they will be holding a press conference on Friday in regards to this matter. Sky Sports will now take a look at Fergie's United years.

The Scot first took charge of United in November of 1986. United finished 11th in the 86-87 season and some key signings where made in preparation for the following year. Steve Bruce, Viv Anderson, Brian McClair and Jim Leighton all joined the club. These players made a great contribution to a United team who finished in 2nd just nine points behind champions Liverpool. The 88-89 season was set to be even better as Mark Hughes made his return to Old Trafford after two years in Spain with La Liga giants Barcelona. Unfortunately they disappointed and finished in 11th.

For 89-90 season the Scot boosted his squad by paying large sums of money for Neil Webb and Paul Ince as well as defender Gary Pallister for a national record fee of ?2.3million. United strated of the season well with a empathic win over defending Champions Arsenal but their form turned sour also suffered a humiliating 5-1 defeat to city rivals Manchester City. Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring "Three years of excuses and it's still crap. Ta ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked. Ferguson later described December 1989 as "the darkest period [he had] ever suffered in the game." United faced Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup Third Round and and it was expected that United would lose the match and Ferguson would consequently be sacked, but United won the game 1?0 and eventually reached the final and United went on to win the FA Cup, beating Crystal Palace 1?0 in the final replay , giving Ferguson his first major trophy as Manchester United manager. The win over Nottingham Forest is often cited as the match that saved Ferguson's Old Trafford career.

Fast forward to 1999 and Ferguson had already brought four Premier League titles, three FA cups, a League Cup, four Community Shields, a Uefa Cup winners Cup and a Uefa Super Cup to Old Trafford. 1999 was to be his best year at United as the club won the Premier League, the Fa Cup and the Champions League completing a fantastic treble. The Scot during this 10 years period has also bought in many players such as Teddy Sheringham, Andy Cole, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Eric Cantona, Dwight Yorke and Roy Keane to name a few who became legends at the club and contributed a lot in winning all the titles. Famous victory over Bayern Munich in Champions League final will never be forgotten by many fans and players as United being 1-0 down came back in the three minutes of injury time, Teddy Sheringham equalised and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer scored the winner and history was created. United had scored 2 goals in space of 3 minutes and were the first major European League club to win the treble. On 12 June 1999, Alex Ferguson received a knighthood in recognition of his services to the game.

Ferguson's hunger to win more never died as he completed the Premier League hatrick in 1999-2000 season. Manchester United also signed many new players such as Ruud van Nistelrroy, Fabien Barthez, Jaap Stam for the next season but next 5 years, United didnt win a single major trophy except a FA Cup in 2004 and a League Cup in 2005. The Scot also improved his squad by signing some more young player who had bright future like Wayne Rooney who had a brillliant EURO 2004 was signed from Everton while Cristiano Ronaldo was signed from Sporting Lisbon and Rio Ferdinand was signed for a record fee of ?30million from Leeds United.

Finally in 2006 the wait of a major trophy was over. United won their first ever Premier League trophy in five years in 2006 by a margin of 6 points over defending Champions Chelsea who were very dangerous under Jose Mourinho. Next season Ferguson spent a lot of money on players like Nani, Anderson, Carlos Tevez and Owen Hargreaves and United went on to defend the Premier League Title and also win the Champions League in dramatic penalty shoot out in Moscow over rivals Chelsea and it was all thanks to the Portuguese whizkid Cristiano Ronaldo who netted in a record 42 goals in the season.

All attention will surely be focused on who will replace the Scot after his decision to retire from the game. Below is a comprehensive list of all the trophies Ferguson won in his time at Manchester United.

Premier League: 1992?93, 1993?94, 1995?96, 1996?97, 1998?99, 1999?2000, 2000?01, 2002?03, 2006?07, 2007?08

FA Cup: 1989?90, 1993?94, 1995?96, 1998?99, 2003?04

League Cup: 1991?92, 2005?06

FA Community Shield: 1990, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2008

UEFA Champions League: 1998?99, 2007?08

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1990?91

UEFA Super Cup: 1991-92

Intercontinental Cup: 1999

Good to see you starting a Manchester Story, gunna follow this closely..
A very big amount of awards and trophy won, in the amount of time he was in charge of the team, hopefully the new manager (you) :p can keep that run going.
:D:D

skysportslogo.gif

30th May 2008

FERGIE HANGS UP HIS COAT

alexferguson4.jpg

Just as we had reported two days ago Sir Alex Ferguson today brought the curtain down on his fantastic managerial career at Manchester United as the Scot announced his immediate retirement from the game. Ferguson leaves behind a legacy at Old Trafford that future managers will find hard to match.

"Good evening I would like to thank you all for coming. Can I please ask that everyone allow Sir Alex Ferguson to say a few words and the you can ask some question to the great man. It is fine if you wish to take photos while Sir Alex is speaking." said the Manchester United Spokesperson

Hello ladies and gentlemen. Today is not an easy day for myself. I've always thought this day should never come. The last twenty two years have been fantastic, this club has been fantastic to me, the supporters have been the best in the world and I have been privileged to have worked with many world class players. Over the last week or so I have thought to myself what is left for me to do in the modern game and I have only come up with one answer to that very question. The answer was nothing. I have done it all, won it all and seen it all without sounding arrogantly egotistic. My impending retirement only hit home after I spoke to my family and friends about my thoughts. It is not easy to sit here and tell you that I am leaving Manchester United, nor was it easy to let the players know two days ago that I was set to leave. To have secured the Premier League title and the UEFA Champions League trophy in my final year was fantastic. This team is still very young and can achieve great things in my opinion. Manchester United will go on without me, just as it has in the past when managers have left, players defected and disaster struck, that I am certain of.

Sir Alex what was your greatest moment as United boss?
The treble without a doubt stands out in my mind. So many times that year we seemed down and out but we came back, we did it in Turin and we did it again in Barcelona. That was a special year for me.

When you said to your team that you are going retire, what was their reaction?

The team was shocked as they didnt expect me to quit after a brilliant season but I thought this was the right time for the successor of me to come in. Players and staff who had worked with me for many years had tears in their eyes and tried to convince me to reverse my decison but I had made it final already.

What now after football?
Well I am old now I would spend a lot of time with my wife and also help my son in his managering career. I am fond of horse racing so will get a fair share of attention in it. Although now I amd deciding to go for a long holiday with my wife. Now want to enjoy the life with my wife without any pressure.

Fans have already started to send in their thanks and praise for you, what do you want to say to them?
I just want them to know that through the worst and best times here at Old Trafford they have been fantastic for me. Even when the talk of me being sacked in 89 was going around a lot of the fans stuck by me. I'd like to think that whoever replaces me will get the same support from the best fans in the world. They have always supported the team and hope they do the same after my departure.

Any regrets Sir Alex?
No not really. I have nothing to regret. I have worked with the most fantastic players, staff, boardroom directors and fans that any manager could wish for. I had that for twenty two years.

Sir Alex who was the greatest player that you ever managed?
That is a tough question and a hard one to answer. Eric Cantona, Roy Keane, Andy Cole, David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Steve Bruce, Peter Schmeichel and the list goes on, but really cant name any one player. All have always given their best for the club and will always give. But to name one in recent times it has to be Cristiano Ronaldo. He was phenomenon this season and I hope he stays over here and contribute more to Manchester United. he surely is the next footballer of the world and he truly deserves it.

Finally who do you expect to be your replacement Sir Alex?
I have no idea. Can't really say. That would be a board issue. I am sure they are looking into possibilities already. I only expect him to carry my legacy forward and make Manchester United the best club in the world.​

Great start to this Shantanu, I wonder who will replace a legend of a manager.

skysportslogo.gif

2nd June 2008

KEANE & RIJKAARD IN THE MIX TO SUCCEED FERGIE

2pyc46h.jpg

It appears that Roy Keane and Steve Bruce could be in the running to become the next Manchester United boss after the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson last month. The two former Manchester United players both currently manage within the Premier League, Keane is at Sunderland while Bruce is at Wigan.

SportsBet365 today revealed who they believe to be the front runners for the vacant managers seat at Old Trafford. Their top bet is former Barcelona boss Frank Rijkaard. Just behind Rijkaard is fellow Dutchman Guus Hiddink.

Roy Keane and Steve Bruce are then next in line for the job at the biggest football club in the world. Bruce was inspirational as captain for United as they dominated the early 90's in the early days of the Premier League, Keane was just as inspirational and was the most successful captain in United history during his time at Old Trafford under Sir Alex Ferguson. Some papers also suggest Assistant Manager Carlos Quieroz may get the job.

Avram Grant and Steve McClaren seem only to be on such a list in an attempt to make up numbers and potential winnings for the betting firm and their odds are representative of their chance in securing the prestigious job at Old Trafford. Former United legend Bryan Robson has also been included on the list but his failures at Middlesbrough and West Brom will work against him.

Frank Rijkaard - 4/1 F
Guus Hiddink - 5/1
Roy Keane - 6/1
Steve Bruce - 7/1
Carlos Quieroz - 9/1
Avram Grant - 12/1
Bryan Robson - 13/1
Steve McLaren - 20/1​

If you can actually continue one story for over a month, I'll take a look.

skysportslogo.gif

3rd June 2008

SUNDERLAND REJECT KEANE APPROACH

Keanoooooo.jpg

Sunderland have rejected an approach from Manchester United for permission to talk to coach Roy Keane about the vacant manager's position at Old Trafford. The Premier League and Champions League winners began their search for a new boss after the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson.

"(Manchester United) asked for our permission and naturally everything stopped there," Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn told the club's website. "He and another former United player coach were at the top of Manchester United's list."

Sir Alex Ferguson retired on 28th May- seven days after winning against Chelsea in the Champions League final. SKY SPORTS understands the other former player to be Steve Bruce, who is currently incharge of Wigan Athletic.

It is also thought United's assistant Carlos Queiroz and former Barcelona manager Frank Rijkaard are among those on Manchester United's shortlist. Keane, 37, joined Sunderland in 2006 and has since won English Championship once (2006) which promoted them to the Premier League and finished at the fifteen position in the Premier League.

As a player, Keane helped the Red Devils to seven Premier League and one Champions League titles and he is one of most successful captain the club had. In 2006, he signed three-year contract with Sunderland which will keep him still 2009.

Quinn added: "The fact that our coach is sought after and esteemed pleases me a lot but Roy Keane will remain Sunderland's coach."

skysportslogo.gif

5th June 2008

CANTONA APPOINTED NEW MANAGER

cantona.jpg

Two days after their attempts to poach Roy Keane from Sunderland failed, Manchester United today announced that former Old Trafford great Eric Cantona had signed a two year contract as manager. He is surely set for a rapturous reception from the United faithful and is set to be unveiled at a press conference tomorrow.

The fiery Frenchmen who is sometimes seen as the man who started the revolution of foreign players coming to the English Premier League was capped forty five times by his country scoring twenty times.

Cantona throughout his career was sometimes over passionate and was easy to lose his temper. With the clear passion to match the knowledge that Cantona would have of world football may make his selection a little less surprising although some people in the media may try butcher him before he has had a chance. No matter what the United fans won't care as they see Eric the same way Catholics view Christ. He is god of Old Trafford and he has finally returned.

Gary Neville, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs remain as the only players to have played alongside the Frenchmen whilst he was at the club, so they will need no reminding of just how highly he is thought of and why that is the case.

It is believed that Cantona has signed a three year contract worth around forty-two thousand pound a week. Due to the recent credit crunch and purchase of Dimitar Berbatov it is also thought that he will only have around ten million pounds to try add players he may want to the current squad at Old Trafford.

Manchester United have scheduled a press conference for tomorrow in which Cantona will talk to the gathering media and carrying out his first day as the new manager.

Former Manchester United player Dwight Yorke had this to say about Cantona's appointment.
It is fantastic for the club. Cantona knows the club inside and out, he will know what is required from day one, no second guessing. He will also demand the very best from his players each and every time they where that jersey. To replace Sir Alex was always going to be tough, if not impossible but in all fairness I think the board did a good a job as they could have. The King has landed people. I wish Eric all the best and hope he can continue where his career left off, with many trophies.

Dwight Yorke, former Manchester United Player and Trinidad and Tobago International

Last edited:
Good choice Cantona
I'l be following this story as this is my fav. club

skysportslogo.gif

6th June 2008

CANTONA UNVEILED AS BOSS

_44732117_cantona512x288.jpg

Manchester United boss Eric cantona insisted his lack of managerial experience would not hamper him in his new job when he was unveiled at Old Trafford on Thursday. The 42-year-old Frenchman has not managed a club side before and has still to obtain the Uefa Pro License.

"I know I am not the most experienced manager, but I have ideas and have been involved in football for 20 years," he said after signing a three-year deal. It's a great opportunity and I am sure I can do a great job for this club."

Manchester United have agreed with the Premier League that Cantona, who already has Uefa's B license, can work as a manager as long as he gains the Uefa Pro License by 2010. There have been reports that Cantona wants his former team mate Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who played alongside him during his time at Old Trafford, to be his number two.

He did not confirm this, but said that Antonio Pintus would be coming in as a fitness coach, while assistant manager Carlos Queiroz will leave Manchester United to replace Luiz Felipe Scolari as Portugal's new head coach. Quieroz is set to be unveiled as Portugal manager on the 1st of July after the EURO 2008 on the same day Scolari would be unveiled as the new Chelsea manager to replace Avaram Grant. Pintus used to work at Chelsea, as well as at Monaco and Juventus.

Cantona played for Manchester United from 1992 to 1997 and has been voted the club's greatest-ever player by their fans. He said: "I had five wonderful years here with Manchester United and it's something I will never forget. But here I have the opportunity of another experience, as a manager. I hope it will be as good as those five years were. What is important is the present and this club that has faith in me. I am totally focused on what I am doing here with Manchester United. The club has got tradition and I am just here to help develop the team and to develop the new young players. That is my duty and I will do it with all of myself. I will give to these players all of my experience and all of my knowledge - I am here to be somebody good for them."

He promised to also have an attacking philosophy now he is a manager. "My philosophy is to play offensive football if I can," he said. "I have always done that, because I trust it. We have to make it enjoyable for the players first and then for the crowd and everybody. Obviously we will have to be a balanced team, but the philosophy will be to play offensive football."

Cantona succeeds Sir Alex Ferguson, who retired after 22 years incharge of Manchester United. Cantona had a lot of praises for him He said: "Alex is a man who would be very hard to replace. He was an excellent manager for the club and we saw during his time here. he has won so many trophies with the team. I enjoyed my time playing under him and I hope to carry forward his legacy and win as many trophies as possible during my time over here."

And the Frenchman also paid tribute to his former team-mates who would be playing under him. "Its going to be great working with Ryan, Paul and Gary with whom I have played for many years. Its always nice to start something new when you have some good backing from the people who are near to you. They have contributed a lot to this club and will always be legends of Manchester United." he said.

Chief executive David Gill said Cantona had been the board's "unanimous choice" to be their new manager.

Last edited:
Glad to hear Cantona's in as manager. Why do Manchester United suddenly play at Upton Park great presentation KUTGW

Cantona is going to be an instant hit with the fans. I'm not so sure he'll be able to retain the title though, it's a pretty huge job for his first.

Looks interesting Shan, good luck :)

Big gamble on Cantona!

Users who are viewing this thread