Your Cricket How did Cricket find you?...

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
So basically how did the sport of Cricket first find you. Well for me, I had heard of cricket numerous times before actually playing and I knew there was this guy called 'Sachin Tendulkar' for India who I used to call Tendlukar because I wasn't aware of how to pronounce it. I imagined him as an Indian with a pushed-back hairstyle with a big bushy moushtache. I was wrong when I first saw him :p

Anways it all started when India reached the World Cup Finals and my dad went to he local pub to watch the match. I didn't actually know that my dad had gone to the pub to watch the match because my dad thought I didn't care about Cricket. But after about 1 hr later (After my dad went to the pub), I asked my mom where dad had gone. She told me he had gone to the pub to watch the match, I asked what match? The World Cup final she replied.

After thinking for a while, I thought it was pretty impressive for India to reach a World Cup Final...I remembered watching the Football world cup in 2002 and TBH I knew more about Football than I did about Cricket back then :p I could name the whole Manchester United Line-Up. Whereas now I'd struggle.

After my dad came home, I asked him in Gujarati (Indian Language - since that was and is my stronger language), How did India do? He replied to me in Gujarati - "Apre kharab rite haarigya..." (We lost in a bad manner).

After that day I haven't looked back in following the Indian cricket team in every single match. Football eventually spped out of my life and Cricket took over. However it was only a few years later when I actually started playing it. But now look where I've got to...Districk Cricket for Birmingham and getting Warwickshire Trials every year or so...I all owe this sporting achievement to CRICKET - My first love.

So how did Cricket find you? TV, Friends...or were you just born with it? ;)

My earliest memory is waking up one morning, switching on the TV and it just happened to be tuned in to the Ashes test in Sydney. Michael Vaughan was crafting a century and I was gripped. I watched the rest of that match and then the VB Series (this was early 2003).

By the World Cup, I was watching, reading and listening to everything to do with cricket I could find. I started playing at this time too and found I wasn't bad with a ball or bat in my hand. I never went through the stage where I couldn't hold a cricket bat or bowl a cricket ball properly.

I saw the England - South Africa series in 2003 on Channel 4. I was interested so asked my mum to buy The Cricketer magazine. I read it and cricket had taken my heart.

Ashes 2005 tbh. But even then I didn't get into it properly, I'd say it'd be the summer of 2006 where my love really started, i'm practically obsessed now though. Cricket > *.

Nice inspiring story there Skater, You owe it to Vaughan :p Who knows, if he had got out 'boringly' then you might not have been on this forum right now...

Andyhorn - Ah I remember watching that too! Ntini was bowling (I now he is now but didn't now who he was then)...Unfortunately Test Cricket seemed so boring then...Seeing as a newcomer to Cricket I wanted to see 6's and Stumps being uprooted...

Nice inspiring story there Skater, You owe it to Vaughan :p Who knows, if he had got out 'boringly' then you might not have been on this forum right now...

Andyhorn - Ah I remember watching that too! Ntini was bowling (I now he is now but didn't now who he was then)...Unfortunately Test Cricket seemed so boring then...Seeing as a newcomer to Cricket I wanted to see 6's and Stumps being uprooted...
It's adyhorn mate. :p

My story is similar to yours. I never knew cricket first then I saw bunch of people playing it and asked my dad. I wanted to play it but they were 4-6 years older than me. I went to the field one day and told them I wanna play. Thats how it all started but I never knew any player expect Sachin and Sourav. Then came World Cup 2003 and thats when I really knew more about cricket like players, rules. After World Cup 2003 cricket was my life. I just love it but I loved even more when I actually found out I was good.

I actually started Cricket after the 1999 World Cup Semi Finals where Australia defeated South Africa or else before that I saw my First Cricket match in 1997 where Ponting hit a century versus Sri Lanka

I actually started Cricket after the 1999 World Cup Semi Finals where Australia defeated South Africa or else before that I saw my First Cricket match in 1997 where Ponting hit a century versus Sri Lanka

Thats why you like Ponting. I liked Sachin and Sourav because when I first watched my match I saw them batting and wished I can be good as them.

My dad was a gun, he had numerous chances to play for Zimbabwe.

However it is slightly strange I grew a love for cricket because other than my dad, my family isn't a cricketing family at all. My brother had lots of talent but never really liked the game. I guess I can't really pinpoint the exact moment though. Probably backyard cricket, maybe..

I remember watching Andy Flower bat in the nets one day when I was young, and had a bit of a chat to him. That helped too.

My Maths Sir used to play for Bombay ( before 1999 i met him in 2000 ).. Inspired by him i asked Parents for a Bat & Pads and i started playing at school level he used to offer tips to me Inspired by him a Lot.. before Cricket my games very football at age 6 or something then came Cricket in my Life :D

TBH If Cricket hadn't entered my life, Then right now I would be sat on a Sofa watching useless programmes and I probably would have been really unhealthy too...As Cricket is the only sport I play.

I started watching Cricket when I was about 5 and a half years old. I played indoor cricket with a tennis ball and a fall sized bat by age 6. I used to play matches by myself (i.e: India vs Pakistan) I would just let the ball go with my left hand and hit with my right and if it hit the other side of the door it would be four. I would also commentate along with my batting. There were some close matches tbh.

Note to self: I still do that. :p

I started watching Cricket when I was about 5 and a half years old. I played indoor cricket with a tennis ball and a fall sized bat by age 6. I used to play matches by myself (i.e: India vs Pakistan) I would just let the ball go with my left hand and hit with my right and if it hit the other side of the door it would be four. I would also commentate along with my batting. There were some close matches tbh.

Note to self: I still do that. :p

Ma Arslaan, Great Men think alike! :D

Because I also do that too! Seeing as I am like the only kid in my area who actually likes cricket I have to play on my own, And I play exactly how you just described it! What I did was I bounce/bounced (Because I still do :p) the ball against the Garage wall with my left hand, I stood about 5 metres or so away from the wall and quickly put both of my hands on the bat as soon as I bounced the ball, Then I hit it back to the Garage or the fence (Cover Drive).

Its actually quite realistic as sometimes the ball jags back in sharply (due to the uneveness of the patio), and I actually get a fine nick on the ball occasionally - That might be becuase I'm crap though :p

Users who are viewing this thread