Will odi cricket ever be the same and make a comeback

Indiangod

International Coach
I'm a 90s kid and I remember watching odi cricket.

Take the 1999 world cup, 230 was a competitive score and 250 is a challenging score back in those days and until the 2011 world cup where Pakistan struggled to chase down 260 in the semi final.

The 2019 world cup final was a classic odi game.

300 scores were not frequent at all and chasing them was very very very challenging.

The 2002 semi final India outplayed SA who had 9 wickets in hand and a run a ball to get in the last 11 overs.

We have two new balls and pitches suited for batsman.

20 20 has changed the landscape.

No more odi tournaments where we saw many Sharjah, many Tri series odi tournaments in the cricket calendar.

Will odi cricket make a comeback or has the game just evolved.

It will be test matches and 20 20 matches.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
ODIs will change once again, it's the most volatile format for a reason.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I think the prestige of the World Cup will keep them alive, although bilaterals will continue to morph into glorified 'A' tours

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I wonder if they might look at again after the next World Cup. Otherwise, like @CerealKiller says, it's in danger of becoming glorified 'A' tours where full teams only come together for preparation for big events. Fine in theory, but you run the risk of fans losing interest if they're being asked to pay a premium for teams without the best players.

There's also the amount of matches. Between 2015 and 2019 World Cups England played 88 matches and used 34 players. They've played 36 matches since 2019 using 39 players (of course there was Covid and that series where they had to replace a whole squad). There's only seven scheduled before the World Cup starts. So it's a 50% reduction.

There's also the issue that it is, to some extent, the elite women's format. All three Ashes matches are sold out including two at test grounds. So any change should take into consideration the impact it would have on the women's game.

Indiangod

International Coach
I miss 50 over cricket

Test cricket will survive

However everyone loved classic odi cricket where 260 was a good score

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I don;t understand why everyone is so intent upon spelling the death knell for ODIs. My perspective is quite different. While the MCC has made the suggestion, I still think the individual boards wouldn't want to let go of a cash cow.

Let me start by talking about Test cricket- a format many believe is the pinnacle of the sport. Yes, it was, but not any more. Not all boards/ full members can afford to host Test matches, let alone make money out of it. If anything, this is the format that will die soon. (with the exception of marquee events and a few countries playing)

ODIs- I think they are still relevant. For the ICC, the 50 over World Cup still remains their flagship event and would only continue to do so, come SA2027- seeing as it will increase to 14 teams. Bilateral ODIs might be without context- here the onus is on the individual boards to organize and host tri0nations/quadrangulars and what not. What the ICC needs to do:
1. Do away with the Champions Trophy
2. Re-instate the ICC Knockout
3. Get the World Cup back to 1996/2011/2015 format- as in a classical World Cup with round robin+KOs(every damn sport has KO)

T20s- Surprised that the MCC didnt call for a reduction in bilateral T20- to me, they are meaningless. Apart from the World Cups, they need to curb bilaterals. Players are playing in a vairety of leagues all around the world, as it is. My prediction is that they will soon go to a 10 over format- as it fits into the scheme of things for the Olympics as well.

I see newer rules coming into the game- perhaps, the Impact Sub and a reduction to 40 overs. But, the format will stay alive. The ICC certainly doesn't want to give the public 2 formats which are polar opposites of each other (slam bang T20 and long drawn out Tests)

Indiangod

International Coach
I don't know if it's just going to be test cricket and 2020 from now on

One day cricket has its charm and romance

Users who are viewing this thread