Your Cricket How did Cricket find you?...

It looked under the table for me :p

Nah, in seriousness, it was 'forced' on me from an early age, we played twice a week @ school during the summer (Year 3-4 was kwik cricket) and then deveoped.

You were forced! :eek:

You lucky **** :p I was forced to play rugby, Man I wish I was forced to play Cricket...

Ashes 06/07. I thought on Boxing day "I may as well see what alll the fuss is about" I watched now and then until the Adelaide test, which kept me interested all 5 days. Then it was Adam Gilchrist's 76? ball century In Perth that had me transfixed.

Well my dad played with me when I was young. Finil Ashes Test 2005 was where I started but it really kicked in during the world cup last year.

Well lets see. I was born in Hong Kong and never heard of it then, I loved all sports and could name them all by the time I was around 5. Could tell the difference between golf, tennis, etc. Don't really think I understood what I was saying though.

But my earliest recollection of cricket is when I moved to UAE at about 5 years of age. The other kids in my building of my age (where I still am, and one of the kids is still here too) would all play cricket and speak in Hindi. I didn't know a word of Hindi and had no clue how to play cricket. I was lost. My mom remembers lots of incidents where I would come back home angry and in tears cause I didn't get along.
but eventually I understood what they said, and they understood what I said, and I played with them. I was horrible, couldn't bat, couldn't bowl. But I didn't give up. I worked on the one part of where we played where those few guys sucked at - fielding. They hated fielding, so I thought I should become good at it and there would be a reason for me to be picked. Same thing was happening in school with lunch box and foil ball cricket, I wasn't really popular so never got a chance to bat or bowl, I would just have to field and wait till I caught the ball till I got to bat. So I kinda had to forced myself to improve, and this is the reason why I am a better fielder than most, especially with tennis ball.
Anyways, I also remember my dad and a lot of cousins and uncles in a room watching India play RSA - I even remember which match. Champions Trophy final vs. South Africa right before the World Cup. And India won, Ganguly held that diving swirling catch. And since I was playing cricket around that time, I followed India through the 2003 WC. Hooked ever since.

I remember my batting improved with time as I eventually gave up hitting and tried to block everything, and my bowling went through a phase where I was unhittable - thanks tomy underarm lobs :p They soon banned me from doing that though, so I practiced to bowl with a proper action, and soon learnt people tried lobbing well before did and it got banned too :p But I did eventually become the best batsman, fielder and bowler there, while everyone else went into soccer :p

EDIT: I was also pretty chubby till 2004 when I joined a cricket summer camp, and started playing with hard ball. Started my legspin their (Though I messed about with fast and SLA bowling before I settled on legspin again about a year or so back), and I remember I couldn't bowl anything but googlies! I'd kill to figure out how I did that now :p Anyways, became a lot skinnier and shed a lot of weight since then, also became quite a bit thinner...

Last edited:
Loved every sport so I watched it like any other. Just decide it was awesome so I made it my number 2 :D Earliest memory was a clip of Michael Vaughan getting out handled the ball, then I followed the home series and that was it.

Playing my mate played so I went down and it was alright. Scrap kwik cricket though should play hard ball from every age.

Started liking it in 1999 right after the World Cup Final. Shane Warne was the one who got me into the game. It was when I lived in Saudi Arabia. However, I always tried to be a batsman when I was young, a very defensive one at that. I remember I actually tried to never score a run when I batted. When I moved to Geneva I was bit more of an all rounder then I started playing leather ball cricket in New Delhi and figured out that my batting was dohdohdohdoh and I concentrated on becoming a fast bowler. Now I'm in Venezuela, and all I do related to cricket is watch the matches.

Then it was Adam Gilchrist's 76? ball century In Perth that had me transfixed.
57 Balls:D

Cricket was always in front of me that's the only game we used to play in pakistan. i started watching cricket when i was 6-7 (1997) when saeed anwar made 194 against india i turned meself into left hander :eek: stil i can bat as right hander (one area mid wicket like shahid afridi) :D because i was right hander maybe thats why my reverse sweep is great ;)

i almost died when pakistan lost the 1999 worldcup :noway and then lost again in 20/20 final when misbah tried that cheeky shot:hpraise i thought we've won but sresanth :crying
(i don't think Australia can win another worldcup coz Gilchrist has retired) in 20/20 no chance pakistanis/indian got the best solgers

i can't bowl (throw bowler) so i'm keeper/batsman.

Gilchrist is my Favorite player ;)

Last edited:
218 by Manjrekar vs Pakistan is probably the first innings I remember watching on TV. But what got me big time in was 92 World Cup. India V Pakistan was huge memory.

Started to watch non stop cricket when India toured RSA after 96 WC and India had young Ganguly and Dravid coming up. Sachin Azhar patnership and that 2nd final in Durban were awesome. Yeah I was hooked now.

Watching the 1992 world cup final in 1999. Yeah we lost but pakistan deserved it, there bowlers are the best. Who cares about ball tampering i would love if we had bowlers like that today.

Thats my earliest memory of cricket. My dad also used to play with me in the garden.

Earliest memory of cricket - Ajay Jadeja batting helmetless, I don't remember against who but he got a hundred and won the match for us.

Hooked. All i've done is breathe cricket from then on out, even in places it doesn't exist like the USA. Lived here for 8 years, and my love for cricket hasn't diminished but has strengthened. I think the absence of the sport has had a greater influence then it would have if it had been there all my life - I don't take it for granted.

I just recently started liking cricket...the 2007 world cup hooked me on to cricket for life. Cricket is now my #1 sport and I play whenever i get the chance.

Well i was watching my dad playing, i was 11 at the time and we were bowling around in the nets next to the ground. The u13's coach saw me bowling and asked me to come and play with his team as they needed players. Well i went down and trained, now i am the u17's captain. First XI opening bowler, also playing rep cricket.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread