Laxman Sivaramakrishna vs Anil Kumble

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Now, I haven't watched cricket that logn ago. But I was just going through some of the highlights of the World Championship in Australia in 1985 wherein I saw this young L Sivaramakrishna do wonders and bamboozle the opposition.

My dad reckons that had LSR got more chance he would have gone onto become India's greatest spinner ever. He seems to think that LSR was even better than Anil Kumbkle. Your inputs on this...

Mr White

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
LSR had a great start to his career. Unfortunately, it all went downhill from there.

One day, he was an outstanding bowler who could bamboozle the world's best batsmen. The next, he was complete garbage. He wasn't the first bowler to completely lose the ability to bowl and he certainly won't be the last.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
LSR is a classic case of "success gone to his head". I heard that he came from a very tough background and so when he saw that much success, he couldn't handle it properly.

As a spinner, he spun the ball a lot more than Anil Kumble. But Anil Kumble is a better bowler BY MILES due to his accuracy, determination and the ability to work hard for long time periods.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Yep. Talent doesn't always equal success. I also remember Vinod Kambli being massively hyped along with Tendulkar in that early 90s period, but he couldn't play the short stuff and couldn't adapt his game quickly enough.

S

Satan666

Its a business, the Indians would cease an opportunity to hype up a player, let the adversts start, and in most cases the player is a waste like theyre doing at present with Bhuvenshar. really this thread is not needed.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
He was bundled out of world cricket by the age of 22; younger even than when Warne debuted; and he scarcely played first class cricket past his late 20s. You can very much make arguments about what too much pressure too early does to a player.

Users who are viewing this thread