how much ICL players earn??

lukenobara

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Is there any official figures for the players earnings from their ICL contracts?? What are the speculated figures??

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Enough to last me for lifetime.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I don't know how accurate it was or if it was a figure just plucked out of the air, but during a lunchbreak interview on TMS I heard something along the lines of 8 times as much as the going rate in County cricket.

Animator!

School Cricketer
Average county wage is around 30-40k these days isn't it?

usy

Chairman of Selectors
is that annually?

That is too much to be weekly or monthly.

Animator!

School Cricketer
Thats the average for the 8 months that County Sidesntract players for. So £30-40k for 8 months is the average for a capped player. Of course it's different at different clubs. The average wage at Surrey I believe is closer to 60k than it is to 40k and it has been quoted in places that Ramprakash is on something near 100k for 8 months at Surrey.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I recall Ian Harvey was getting well over £100k a year in England, but player payments are complex. A good package comprises a retainer, match fees and bonuses. Some come with endorsements factored in. Harvey's base payment may not have been over 100k. As you can tell, the quality of media reports is also a factor.

I believe a base Australian state contract is worth about AU$40k, with the maximum contract said to be worth 100k. However, match fees would total several thousand more for a regular XI player.

In ICL, I have heard that the minimum figure for a 3 year deal was about US$70k. This is the sort of deal given to the younger Indian players. Jason Gillespie was reportedly signed for 300k in 3 years, while Bond is reportedly taking 500k, but it has also been quoted at 800k. Brian Lara is probably earning more than 1 million.

lukenobara

School Cricketer
I recall Ian Harvey was getting well over £100k a year in England, but player payments are complex. A good package comprises a retainer, match fees and bonuses. Some come with endorsements factored in. Harvey's base payment may not have been over 100k. As you can tell, the quality of media reports is also a factor.

I believe a base Australian state contract is worth about AU$40k, with the maximum contract said to be worth 100k. However, match fees would total several thousand more for a regular XI player.

In ICL, I have heard that the minimum figure for a 3 year deal was about US$70k. This is the sort of deal given to the younger Indian players. Jason Gillespie was reportedly signed for 300k in 3 years, while Bond is reportedly taking 500k, but it has also been quoted at 800k. Brian Lara is probably earning more than 1 million.

So where does that stand?? Whys Shane Bond ignored a top NZ contract worth 150K kiwi$ per annum + Match fees + National hons ..etc etc for $500K in three years??

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Bond hasn't ignored a NZ contract. He asked NZ if he could play in ICL, they said OK, he signed a contact then they changed their minds and banned him.

Animator!

School Cricketer
I recall Ian Harvey was getting well over ?100k a year in England, but player payments are complex. A good package comprises a retainer, match fees and bonuses. Some come with endorsements factored in. Harvey's base payment may not have been over 100k. As you can tell, the quality of media reports is also a factor.

Yeah, Ramprakash is supposedly on a base salary of around 70k in Sterling with bonuses relating to performances, which has achieved and then outrun over the course of the past 2 seasons which can draw him further up towards the 120k a year mark.

Ian Harvey in his prime I can believe earned comfortably 100k. In his prime he was a tremendous asset to a county side with his ability to hold a place as a batsman or a bowler alone.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Bond earns 800K for 3 years and play for 100 hours per year. Thats good rate per hour.

Animator!

School Cricketer
It's why it's so attractive. Especially for someone like Bond who cannot be sure that he will continue to play cricket free of injury and therefore earn for his family.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
So where does that stand?? Whys Shane Bond ignored a top NZ contract worth 150K kiwi$ per annum + Match fees + National hons ..etc etc for $500K in three years??
I admitted it was vague reporting, but further trawling suggests even bigger numbers, which don't necessarily lock anything down. According to The Times, his payments for the next tournament alone will be over ?400k, which means more than US$800k. According to the Australian sports opinion site The Roar, his entire 3 year deal is worth 3.1 million; I believe this figure is in NZ$, which would translate to more than US$2.5m and correlate with the suggestion of over US$800k per year.

Like Kev said, his ideal situation was to retain the NZ contract. New Zealand Cricket were said to have approved so long as release was granted for international fixtures.
Bond said that NZC were applying some pressure for players to enter the IPL. However, Bond felt the IPL's contract, a simple memorandum of understanding less than 2 pages long, was far too vague and could potentially force its players into difficult positions regarding their other contracts. This is indeed very similar to the concerns that Cricket Australia had with the IPL. Regular domestic cricket contracts are generally over 20 pages long and CA's contract is no less than 28 pages. A 2 page MoU couldn't begin to govern the details, in fact, CA's MoU is an accompanying document that spans 29 pages. The documents govern players' payments, obligations regarding matches and endorsement obligations, in particular, sponsorship deals that might prove to be in conflict with major sponsors.

I digress, however. Put simply, Bond was not impressed by the legal document and no doubt the lack of certainty of the payment figure. The NZCPA and Bond's legal counsel both advised against signing the document. It was only after signing with ICL that NZC were apparently made aware of the ICC regulation stating that they must support the actions of other ICC member board in their home countries.

Users who are viewing this thread