Your Cricket How to hold bat handle?

qwertyjjj

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
For years I have been holding the bat with what I thought was a classical grip, that is with the V's of the hand pointing straight down the back of the bat.
Recently, I was told to hold them slightly at an angle so that on the back lift, the bat is held tilted at a 45 degree angle.

eg: Form a "V" by pointing your thumb and forefinger down between outside edge and centre of back of bat.

eg: How To Grip The Bat (Sports & Outdoors: Cricket)
Skip the 1st minute

Now, what this grip has done is help me hold the bat in such a way that when it comes down, on striking the ball, the bat face is perfectly square for on drives, defence, and off drives. However, last weekend in a T20 I faced a wide ball that bounced higher. Normally I wouldn't have hit the ball but in a T20 I went for it :) What I notice was that I got a massive edge on the ball which tipped it up in the air and backwards. I am absolutely certain this is because with this new grip on swinging sideways and out (for a cut) instead of down, the bat is angled slightly backwards instead of flat. Any thoughts?
Seems like I need to relearn the cut to bring my wrists over more than before.

BDJIM

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
best way is when you first pick it up...whether it be left hand or right hand, as long as it feels right then thats the best way for you...
personally i am right handed and tend to hold the bat grip quite low as i play cuts and square of the wicket generally...

Users who are viewing this thread