ICC confirms 10 teams for next two World Cups

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
i would go with 12 teams as well. makes a more rounded and to the point tournament. hope the ICC see sense.

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Not sure the World Cup will be "added to" in any other sense than numerically by having more than 10 teams, in fact I'd say you'd just be increasing those 'making up the numbers' from 20% to 33% (2/10 = 20%, 4/12 = 33.33%)

If Zimbabwe could find their feet a bit in the coming couple of years that might change, Bangladesh would have to improve more dramatically than they have in the past decade.

The problem is the odd upset is nice for fans/neutrals, but that's all the better teams who didn't make the QFs this time round are capable of, that is unless the ICC goes with tiers so the smaller teams like Ireland get regular competitive cricket and not just a handful of token ODIs in which they'll probably get beaten mostly with the odd win or decent performance.

That then causes the ICC a headache, do they go with the risky 2007 format with the chance ONE upset could knock a big gun out, and then it meant a lot more mismatches than they'd hoped for, or do they go with the 2011 format and have a lot of mismatches? In a way I'd say Ireland did themselves no favours in 2007, they made the ICC and TV fear that format, Ireland and Bangladesh, and the 2011 format had too many sides who played in a lot of mismatches.

If the ICC do a u-turn, I suspect they will try and format the competition to mean whoever did qualify would get as few matches as possible ie they'd concede to including the extra teams, but only tokenly and probably not quite the participation the qualifiers would hope for.

I don't doubt the ICC and TV want round-robin, the best sides playing in a league format with as close games as they can manage and very few mismatches. While Ireland have won four and tied once in 15 World Cup matches, the breakdown is less what the ICC/TV want to see I'd guess :

WINS

PAK 132/10 vs IRE 133/7
ENG 327/8 vs IRE 329/7
IRE 243/7 vs BAN 169
HOL 306 vs IRE 307/4

TIE

IRE 221/9 vs ZIM 221

LOST

IRE 183/8 vs WIN 190/2
ENG 266/7 vs IRE 218
IRE 152/8 vs SAF 165/3
NZE 263/8 vs IRE 134
IRE 91 vs AUS 92/1
IRE 77 vs SRI 91/2
BAN 205 vs IRE 178
IRE 207 vs IND 210/5
WIN 275 vs IRE 231
SAF 272/7 vs IRE 141

vs BAN/ZIM/HOL : P4 W2 L1 T1 (Won 50.00%)
vs The rest : P11 W2 L9 T0 (Won 18.18%)

A good record against the weaker teams, makes more of a case for tiered cricket, while they generally got tonked against the better sides - even in their second World Cup. Three of their wins were batting second, two chasing sizeable totals and one of those against Test opposition and the other against fellow 'minnows'

Ireland also had a trend I identified in the 2011 World Cup of collapsing badly from five down.

So are Ireland wanting the World Cup to be their arena to improve, or perhaps I could be cynical and suggest it is all about the $$$$$$ IF they really want to improve they need to garner support for expanding Test and ODIs between World Cups to include the sides supposedly just outside and knocking on the door of Test status. If it is about the $$$$$$ then they are going about it exactly as any money grabbers would

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Not sure the World Cup will be "added to" in any other sense than numerically by having more than 10 teams, in fact I'd say you'd just be increasing those 'making up the numbers' from 20% to 33% (2/10 = 20%, 4/12 = 33.33%)

True however from what I understand the 10 team format will be one big group. That means 18 games from Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. In comparison the 12 team format would have 20 games from the last 4 teams so 20 games in total however that equates to 5 games for each of those teams rather than 9 games.

Params7

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Didn't they just lobby BCCI to get a chance to play 15 or so ODI's per year? I think that's too low but still. And they are after money, obviously, they need it to function. As it is all their players are part time cricketers with other jobs. You take the sponsors away when there's no hope for them for the world cup. And India became cricket crazy country after it had won the 1983 WC, before which it was getting tonked around in WC's like Irish are today.

Given how easily Zim/Ban got their Test status, Ireland should have had theirs by now and getting support from ICC for laying down a domestic foundation and getting some full time cricketers.

I don't see how they have the only ulterior motive of counting cash if they are pushing hard for the WC. Ofcourse that's one of the main aims, as is for anybody, its what we go to school for but saying they only care about that and not spreading cricket in Ireland is being a bit too cynical.

Last edited:

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Cricket Austrailia wants 10 best teams in the Next 2015 World Cup. It says that mertiocracy should be there and only 10 top teams should compete. Good Suggestion, I guess Mr.Powar wants the same format with more teams. But to me I think that the 1992 World Cup format was the best having top teams competing with each other and top 4 having the semi-finals. Its an easy to digest format plus filled with lot of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread