ICC confirms 10 teams for next two World Cups

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yep - use T20 to get the average idiot aware of cricket, but use the money from that to start some proper cricket programmes.

I don't give a rat's that Ireland isn't in the next World Cup to be honest, I'm far more annoyed that England keeps pinching their players and that they don't get enough good first class matches. I'd like to see some 'A' teams have a 'Test' series with Ireland - that would be a good place to start. Whining over not being in the WC is not helpful really.

Basically this is point in a nutshell. Good to see more of planetcrickets level headed posters making their opinions felt, after basically 5+ pages of a bit of overexaggerated rhetoric over the matter.

P

pcfan123

Like anyone cares, Test and 50 over cricket is only for the big boys. Ireland will never win it, or even get to a later stage even if they play the next 10 WCs.

Twenty20 is the only vehicle for associates, the only time they can remain competitive with full members.

People just have to accept that there will always only be the 8-10 major countries and everyone else will suck forever due to lack on infrastructure and lack of interest in the sport.

There are no new countries "taken" to cricket or going cricket mad. It's a niche sport and always will be.

I think trying to improve Ireland's FC team is a waste of time as well, they will never get Test status and the good players will always leave for England.

Just play 2020 associates, have some fun and then go home.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Cant help but agree with Mark wholeheartedly. Keep the classical forms of cricket to the best countries, and bring in the new and upcoming teams through the T20 format which has a much better chance of syncing well with the rest of the world who are not as crazy (or even know much) about cricket. Ireland could have been there in the next WC, but if there is a qualification process for future cups, I dont mind Ireland not being there. They didnt qualify for the QF's eventually and basically had one major win against England

Params7

International Cricketer
@Mark @Sai @War that's still backwards logic that doesn't justify Bangladesh and Zimbabwe playing over Ireland without qualifiers.

And Ireland HAVE shown consistent performance than Bangladesh in this WC and are higher ranked than Zimbabwe in ODI's.

You're already saying no nonelitist nation can ever become good in ODI's yet there's one here clearly trying to break the glass that's been covered and made bulletproof. That is the definition of killing ODI cricket though it doesn't look bad when you force them to be only good in T20's on the other hand right.

Last edited:

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
@Mark @Sai @War that's still backwards logic that doesn't justify Bangladesh and Zimbabwe playing over Ireland without qualifiers.

And Ireland HAVE shown consistent performance than Bangladesh in this WC and are higher ranked than Zimbabwe in ODI's.

You're already saying no nonelitist nation can ever become good in ODI's yet there's one here clearly trying to break the glass that's been covered and made bulletproof. That is the definition of killing ODI cricket though it doesn't look bad when you force them to be only good in T20's on the other hand right.
Basically this, yes.

Owzat

International Coach
I read that lawyers are advising Ireland and other countries (94?) to take the ICC to court. I'm not sure I care about the outcome either way, whether Ireland or any other country does force its way into the competition next time around it won't change the outcome.

As I've said, there's too much hoo ha over the World Cup and not enough over expanding cricket so countries can develop, have a way of getting into the bigtime with the big boys. Had they done it 50+ years ago the face of cricket would be so different.

But sadly it isn't about cricket, it isn't even about entertaining the (TV) spectators, but it is about ???????. Whether they have a point about the sense of inviting only the elite, that is only a small part of it. It isn't their 'right' to qualify and compete in the World Cup, it is as much about ?????.

Would as many be jumping up and down and stamping their feet if Ireland were nobodies, but Kenya, Holland and Canada were excluded? I doubt it. Would Ireland's presence next time make a difference? No more than Kenya in 1996, 1999 and 2003, except Ireland get more clamour because of who they are or whatever. They're just a team with a bit of support, woohoo. I have doubts legal action would change anything, it's not as if the ICC have said no minnows will ever play in the finals again.

Instead of campaigning to get Ireland to the World Cup, how about campaigning for an improvement in cricket by making it global? Tiers = less games = better quality cricket and it would allow space for all three forms at international level with equal standing. Then it would be harder to exclude the minnows as they'd be able to PROVE their equal standing on the pitch instead of trying to with words and lawsuits off it.

I think it would be apt if Ireland won compensation and accepted it, would show their true colours. They know they can't win the World Cup, they know they will miss out on a cashcow though

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I read that lawyers are advising Ireland and other countries (94?) to take the ICC to court. I'm not sure I care about the outcome either way, whether Ireland or any other country does force its way into the competition next time around it won't change the outcome.

As I've said, there's too much hoo ha over the World Cup and not enough over expanding cricket so countries can develop, have a way of getting into the bigtime with the big boys. Had they done it 50+ years ago the face of cricket would be so different.

But sadly it isn't about cricket, it isn't even about entertaining the (TV) spectators, but it is about ???????. Whether they have a point about the sense of inviting only the elite, that is only a small part of it. It isn't their 'right' to qualify and compete in the World Cup, it is as much about ?????.

Would as many be jumping up and down and stamping their feet if Ireland were nobodies, but Kenya, Holland and Canada were excluded? I doubt it. Would Ireland's presence next time make a difference? No more than Kenya in 1996, 1999 and 2003, except Ireland get more clamour because of who they are or whatever. They're just a team with a bit of support, woohoo. I have doubts legal action would change anything, it's not as if the ICC have said no minnows will ever play in the finals again.

Instead of campaigning to get Ireland to the World Cup, how about campaigning for an improvement in cricket by making it global? Tiers = less games = better quality cricket and it would allow space for all three forms at international level with equal standing. Then it would be harder to exclude the minnows as they'd be able to PROVE their equal standing on the pitch instead of trying to with words and lawsuits off it.

I think it would be apt if Ireland won compensation and accepted it, would show their true colours. They know they can't win the World Cup, they know they will miss out on a cashcow though
Interesting way of looking at it TSTL. Cynical, but interesting.

I'm taking the outcry from the minnows simply being based on principal, that they are being shut out from the biggest even in the Cricket calendar, and in Ireland's case, for no fault of their own.

But all the sides do stand to lose a lot of money out of this. Yes. But why are they wrong in complaining for that? They need the money for their development. As it was rightly said, kicking them out of the World Cup sets their development back several years. How is that the right decision?

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
From reading the whole thread, I say a lot of people are making a fuss for no real reason. I agree wholeheartedly with the points War has posted.

The fact of the matter is there are very few teams who are competitive at the longer forms of the game. Having Associate teams in a WC serves no function as they dilute the competitveness of the tournament, and them getting thrahsed is not doing any favours to their fans back home.

"Yeah, but this WC was a success? Why take them away?" The WC was a success soley down to the up-down-up-down performance of England. If they performed like they should have, then it would have been a snooze-fest. Just like Group A was.

Truth of the matter is that cricket, as a sport, is a very difficult sport to spread. Simply because of the complex nature of the longer formats. No other sport in the world is long as Test cricket. Therefore, T20 is the best format for the game to spread. It engages crowds, and is easy for most people to understand. It also reduces the skill gap between the different teams.

However, the ICC should have a qualifying round for the last 2 spots. It could be a pre-tournament Quantagular Cup between the 2 weakest Test nations and the top 2 ranked Associates.

mohit_dude10

Club Captain
I think most people don't have problem with the 10 team World cup but have problem with the fact that Zimbabwe and Bangladesh are getting automatic qualifications with teams like Ireland, Netherland (who are of same standard) sitting out without even being given a chance to prove themselves. IMO there should've been a qualifier for the last 2 spots, the one like they had in the 2006 Champions trophy.

Params7

International Cricketer
Yeah its really not surprising to see ICC be elitists when half the people HERE have the same mentality lol.

This is how this thread has gone so far :

Side A : "Minnows suck and stink the whole World Cup up so less minnows the better"

Side B : "We agree Minnows bring a lot of boredom to the World Cup. But how is giving one minnow (Zimbabwe/Bangladesh) a permanent spot over another minnow that is higher ranked in ODI's justified? And how is this not killing but increasing ODI interest in Ireland?"

Sida A : "Minnows can't play odi's. Minnows suck and stink the whole World Cup up so less minnows the better"

/thread. I'm done hopefully cricket has more radical and less **** up their ass management in 50 years.

Last edited:

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
If you don't want boredom go watch a good movie.

By its very nature Sport is not going to be exciting all the time. There will be times when someone gets thrashed badly and it is boring and predictable.

Fact is, excluding the minnows won't change any of this.

If you wanted a totally evenly contested World Cup, you could play only the top 6 teams in that case. 10 is still too big a number. And even then every match is not guaranteed to be evenly contested

Arguing to remove some talented teams from showing their worth just because they cannot beat the best teams is not a good policy for long-term growth of the game.

They can only grow if they have regular cricket against the best teams in the world. ICC obviously disagrees.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
The fact of the matter is there are very few teams who are competitive at the longer forms of the game. Having Associate teams in a WC serves no function as they dilute the competitveness of the tournament, and them getting thrahsed is not doing any favours to their fans back home.
Featuring in a World Cup attracts more fans to cricket than not showing up. I can give several first-hand examples - I know Canadians and Zimbabweans watch their first game of cricket because of the current World Cup. FFS I even know Indians and Pakistanis who watched their first ever games this World Cup. So what if their nations lost or got beaten - it served as an introduction to the game, it made the public aware of the sport and maybe, just maybe, it caught the imagination of a couple of youngsters. And that's what the goal is, isn't it? To get youngsters into the sport and get them playing. Not playing in a WC is far more detrimental than playing in one.

And FFS if competitiveness is an issue then get rid of Zim, BD and West Indies as well why don't you? Why do their mediocre performances assure them spots in future WC when sides like Ireland and Kenya (in the past) put up just as good performances but now have no place?

"Yeah, but this WC was a success? Why take them away?" The WC was a success soley down to the up-down-up-down performance of England. If they performed like they should have, then it would have been a snooze-fest. Just like Group A was.
Silly logic. You can't argue ifs and buts over something that has happened. Fact is Ireland were competitive in every game and even Canada and Kenya showed moments of resilience. The minnows definitely put up more of a fight this WC, and to cut them out immediately after is just silly.

Truth of the matter is that cricket, as a sport, is a very difficult sport to spread. Simply because of the complex nature of the longer formats. No other sport in the world is long as Test cricket. Therefore, T20 is the best format for the game to spread. It engages crowds, and is easy for most people to understand. It also reduces the skill gap between the different teams.
No one's disagreed that. Read my posts. Just because it's difficult to spread doesn't mean we should stop trying; that Elitist attitude is exactly what turns people away from the sport and is exactly why it's dying. 'Oh, it's too difficult and long and steeped in History and Tradition, we aren't even going to bother explaining it to you. You won't understand'.

However, the ICC should have a qualifying round for the last 2 spots. It could be a pre-tournament Quantagular Cup between the 2 weakest Test nations and the top 2 ranked Associates.
Basically what we're saying. Give the Associates a chance in the WC instead of shutting them out. In essence, you agree with us then. :p

----------

Oh, and pretty much what Param and Hari said too.

Imma read CW thread on this again after a while, but I don't recall much support for the ICC at all there as compared to over here on PC. They make some really good points too which I may steal.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I think people are missing the point why some are complaining about irelands exclusion.

it harms their development, this is the biggest stage for their sponsors and much, much more importantly. They've earned it through performances. They've at the very least earned the right to compete for a spot fairly.

which is the whole point of sport. it's about results. Ireland have produced them.

Last edited:

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
No support at all over at CW for this. I quite like the support some people have given to the ICC here because it promotes great discussion.

I think the overall tone of this thread is that most people agree that there shouldn't be automatic qualification for Bangladesh/Zimbabwe and those spots should be contested.

Most people don't mind the fact that there are only 10 teams, it's the above factor that has them in opposition of the ICC.

Users who are viewing this thread