ICC News: Restructuring the ICC, BCCI Influence & more

Brilliant summary of the new ICC deal by a SA journalist... - ICC’s new broadcasting deal: Big in bucks, small in mind | Daily Maverick

ICC’s new broadcasting deal: Big in bucks, small in mind

The ICC have signed a big, new broadcasting deal. It’s reportedly worth a lot of money, but the deal has simply reiterated that the ICC only views things in the short term and has no plans for making itself sustainable. Instead, it continues to hand power over to a select few. By ANTOINETTE MULLER.

For all intents and purposes, cricket is small sport. It is small in the sense of the power belonging to a select few. It is small in terms of its reluctance to set out a clear plan to allow other nations to participate at “elite level”. Quite often, cricket is also small in its thinking.

A new rights deal has just been announced with Star Sports having signed a new TV rights deal with the ICC for all 18 ICC tournaments between 2015 and 2023. That’s all good and well and planning ahead in cricket is only natural, especially for broadcasters. From a business perspective, these things need to be planned ahead for broadcasters as they make their money by selling advertising space and they need to safeguard their potential income. There is nothing wrong with that kind of thinking.

So far, so good. But what about the future of the sport and what about ensuring it grows and expands across the globe? You would think that it would have learned its lesson by now. These contracts tend to be inflexible and that became quite clear when the plans for a Test championship were forced to be abandoned due to the lukewarm welcoming from broadcasters. They wanted a Champions Trophy instead. That’s what was in the contract and that’s what needed to happen.

Because broadcasting rights constitute such a massive money spinner for the ICC, they often have no choice but to buckle to their demands. This is where the problem comes in. The ICC have, yet again, failed to find a way to become self-sufficient or, at least, set the foundation to allow it to do so in near future.

We’re not talking about flying cars and being teleported to matches here; instead, the approach should be far simpler. Think about this way, over a decade ago, T20 didn’t even exist and women’s cricket wasn’t even part of the ICC yet. How much and how quickly have things changed in the last 10 years and how much and how quickly will thing change in the next ten?

Cricket needs to start taking a modern-day approach in how it spreads its gospel. With the rise and rise of smartphones, internet penetration and mobile data getting cheaper, it’s only a matter of time before we start watching sport in a completely different way. In South Africa, you can already watch TV on a mobile device that you can carry around with you and, in England, you can watch it all on your phone. All of these require users to have a subscription to a pay channel, but it can’t be too long before the smartphone starts taking over as one of our main ports of TV watching.

It seems almost inconceivable that there won’t be a move towards using smartphones as a TV-watching device with subscriptions completely separate to your “main” pay channel. What would happen when these service providers want to take the game to people across the world? Those people who maybe can’t afford to shell out the big bucks for a full pay channel every month? Or those who can, but only really want it for watching sport?

What the ICC have done with their latest rights deal yet again is excluded and marginalised their earning potential. Equally, it doesn’t benefit those outside of the ICC’s elite either, especially not when it comes to events like World Cups. The token associate participation will earn some of those who don’t have the full-member revenue streams some form of income, but very little is being done to expand the game and make the most of its potential and aiding those who are “outside” the full-member status quo.

Also concerning is that the International Cricket Council has not disclosed the sum for which these rights have sold. The question has to be ‘why not’? Considering the keenness in parading about big commercial deals by most sporting administrators, it is befuddling that the ICC have not officially disclosed the sum for which these rights sold. It is believed to be in the region of $2.5 billion, more than double that of the previous cycle.

That’s not small money for a sport which only has ten teams in its top tier and only three teams generating the bulk of its revenue. Of course, the rich will continue to get richer and the rest will suckle on the hind teat of charitable handouts.

The ICC will tell you that its new rights deal is groundbreaking; it will tell you that it’s the biggest ever and it will tell you about how good it is for the game. Yet, when more closely assessed, it would seem it’s only good for those who are already benefiting from the game

star sports has mobile subscription even now.also it wont be some new company making the jump but the existing broad caster would be the ones who would be able to carry it over easily to mobile platform since they already have all other cricket setups established already.

check out starsports.com it has a great video player custom built for cricket with all statistic important events and social media platform for interacting all available on the fly for those who subscribe.

Major problem with Star sports website is that it only works in India or subcontinent. It doesn't work anywhere else. So I hope they extend that coverage since they will begetting handful of dough with this deal.

they will i mean sky or which ever broadcaster for that particular area would have to setup stuff like this it will happen if not already.

Brilliant summary of the new ICC deal by a SA journalist... - ICC’s new broadcasting deal: Big in bucks, small in mind | Daily Maverick

I am sorry but this is just too much complaining over two small points essentially -
1) Can fans watch on their smartphones
2) Why was the money not disclosed.

1) Presumably yes. I am sure Star which has the rights will obviously share those right in countries where it is not broadcasting, like SA and Eng. So if whatever channel gets those rights, is available on smartphones, then viewers can watch it on smartphones too.

2) How is it relevant at all?

Don't see the sense in complaining about ICC getting a mega deal as if it would it be somehow better if the deal was for peanuts.

Also the perennial "what about associate nations" angle. Well what about them? ICC have got a mega deal. The associates will get a cut from it. The bigger the deal, the bigger their share.

A good deal all around.

Last edited:
Major problem with Star sports website is that it only works in India or subcontinent. It doesn't work anywhere else. So I hope they extend that coverage since they will begetting handful of dough with this deal.

I don't want them to extend coverage of starsports.com to earn money. Right now star sports.com is totally free. Just open the website and watch the stream. No nonsense of register and subscribe.

If they extend it, then no doubt all these hassles will kick in. I prefer starsports.com the way it is to be honest.

Just to add .. in NorthAmerica (atleast) .. Willow TV provides great 720p cricket streaming for all major tournaments. They are tied in YouTube and also have video streaming on their websites. And I do watch it on my phone - its fabulous. If StarSports can extend such service to all the major countries, then it really would be a great thing for cricket and its fans[DOUBLEPOST=1413297847][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't want them to extend coverage of starsports.com to earn money. Right now star sports.com is totally free. Just open the website and watch the stream. No nonsense of register and subscribe.

While I agree in essence with your statement - I think since Star Sports is extending its coverage to all ICC events and not just Indian matches, it should go global for online coverage and not be restricted to the Indian subcontinent (like it is right now)

While I agree in essence with your statement - I think since Star Sports is extending its coverage to all ICC events and not just Indian matches, it should go global for online coverage and not be restricted to the Indian subcontinent (like it is right now)

Well again, I naturally agree with the idea of a truly gobal free sports broadcast. However if you think about it, there is a reason that starsports can offer free streaming in India. There is little demand for it, and an overwhelming majority still watch it only on the TV. So startsports has only so much to spend to offer the broadcast free in India.

If they were to offer it globally they would have to spend a tonne of money on bandwidth and other related infrasture to be able to take requests from all over the world. I am not sure offering it for free will be possible after that.

So the net result of them expanding would be, it would be hard to keep it free.

I don't want it to be free - its a premium service, so it should come with a price. Best case, keep it free in India (or atleast subsidized). Charge the rest of the world.

Right now star sports.com is totally free. Just open the website and watch the stream. No nonsense of register and subscribe.

It has 2 modes pro and free, so i would expect it to remain so even if it expands.right now free version is delayed by 5 mins and doesn't have all the features of a pro not a big deal for matches you are just checking out or truly not intrested, if its something involving your fav team or a keen tournament you can subscribe to pro, its pretty reasonable too for example 100rs for a tour etc.

I think after CT13 itself they had made the decision that CT was here to stay, and the CT in Eng will not be the last. As for a test championship, well its not really a viable commercial option, right now anyway. The best they can really do is to have a year end three test series, between the top 4 sides of the ICC Test table.

By three test series I mean have a 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 SF with the winners facing off in the final. The host nation can be rotated on a yearly basis. Have the SFs kick off simultaneously and a 5 day gap for the final. Of course one will have to decide what happens in case of rain or draws.

At the very least it will have some competition like structure and a trophy to list at the end. Winning the Mace this way, will feel much more like winning a big competition, infact feel totally like winning a big competition and thus will be much more treasured. The way its done now, doesn't really give that feeling.

About some of the competitions -

ICC Champions Trophy 2021 - India
ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 - India

Will these hosted by India alone? not Ind, SL and B'desh?
I think after CT13 itself they had made the decision that CT was here to stay, and the CT in Eng will not be the last. As for a test championship, well its not really a viable commercial option, right now anyway. The best they can really do is to have a year end three test series, between the top 4 sides of the ICC Test table.

By three test series I mean have a 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 SF with the winners facing off in the final. The host nation can be rotated on a yearly basis. Have the SFs kick off simultaneously and a 5 day gap for the final. Of course one will have to decide what happens in case of rain or draws.

At the very least it will have some competition like structure and a trophy to list at the end. Winning the Mace this way, will feel much more like winning a big competition, infact feel totally like winning a big competition and thus will be much more treasured. The way its done now, doesn't really give that feeling.

About some of the competitions -

ICC Champions Trophy 2021 - India
ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 - India

Will these hosted by India alone? not Ind, SL and B'desh?

Yea if I recall correctly, the CT was brought back because the ICC claimed they couldn't sell the test championship idea to the broadcasters, which of course is dominated by Indian ones as the new star sports deal shows.

CT can work, but as i said the format used for the tournament would be key. But its been proven before that suggestion that the test championship can't work was crap & it was nothing more than weak ICC leadership on full display.

That idea u suggested is fine, but they key to any test championship is having teams play home/away in structured manner instead of current situation where everybody is begging IND/ENG/AUS to play each other.

Only that way will we have clear idea of teams strenght's before we throw them into a hypothetical test match semi final scenario or your top 4 talk.

I am sorry but this is just too much complaining over two small points essentially -
1) Can fans watch on their smartphones
2) Why was the money not disclosed.

1) Presumably yes. I am sure Star which has the rights will obviously share those right in countries where it is not broadcasting, like SA and Eng. So if whatever channel gets those rights, is available on smartphones, then viewers can watch it on smartphones too.

2) How is it relevant at all?

Don't see the sense in complaining about ICC getting a mega deal as if it would it be somehow better if the deal was for peanuts.

Also the perennial "what about associate nations" angle. Well what about them? ICC have got a mega deal. The associates will get a cut from it. The bigger the deal, the bigger their share.

A good deal all around.

The merits of the two points she raised in moot TBF, the general theme of the article which coincides with the new ICC broadcast deal is that the ICC, even under the new "Big three" structure with BCCI now taking a new "leadership role"still predictably isn't giving a clear idea how cricket will be grown under their stewardship. Thus

Yes the associates will get more money, but the Big three still have to articulate a coherent plan of how they expect them to develop like Football and rugby does & to date they have yet to do so.

I think we need to stop seeing the Big Three as something different from the ICC. The big three exists within the ICC and is meaningless outside the ICC. So to say that its only the responsibility of the Big Three to develop Associate nations is stretching it a bit. Yes the big three will control of the finances by and large, but that is not even remotely the same thing as the Big three will get all the money. No. The non-big three nations will still get a substantial chunk of the money, in fact more than they had been getting earlier.

That is the whole point of the restructuring, to better distribute the matches of the big three, so as to generate more revenue for everyone.
Of course there will be some while before this could be done, because the FTP for next few years is already in place. Once the calender space opens up only then will the new, more spaced out schedule will be implemented. That is why people are wondering nothing is being altered. They can't alter anything right now, as the calender is already full.

As for the associates, the associates are in better shape than ever before. The Associates like Ireland and Afghanistan have shown the ability to compete and generally the standard of associates has been on the up.

I think we will just have to bide our time and see how the Big Three restructuring ultimately pans out. Just like there are no visible advantages being seen, similarly there are no visible disadvantages on display.

Users who are viewing this thread