Story ICC Test Championship

Tea Day 2: Bangladesh 3/69 after 23 overs
Sanwar Hussain 25*, Mohammad Ashraful 21*
Katich 1/2, Gillespie 1/24, McGrath 1/31

Richie: Well, an interesting session there. Australia looked like they were on top after 3 very quick wickets, but Bangladesh are hanging in there. Mark, what were your thoughts on that session.

Mark: I thought the 2 not out Bangladeshi batsman really batted well nearing the tea session. They were 2/9 and then 3/35, and so they have done well to get to Tea only 3 down and adding another 34 runs for the 4th wicket. I also thought the Australian bowlers weren't as accurate as they can be. There were a few lose deliveries and the batsman took advantage of them. McGrath wasn't at his best, conceeding 31 runs of 11 overs. Gillespie bowled well, Lee in opening over was too full and was punished with 3 fours and Katich was the suprise packet, bowling really well with 1/2 of 5 overs.

Richie: Yes. I personally was suprised by the decision to bring Katich on 1st change. I think you were too, but it proved to be a master stroke from Ricky Ponting. He picked up a wicket in his first over.

Mark: I must admit I was suprised with Ponting's decision, but it was obvious that McGrath and Gillespie weren't bowling as well as they are capable of, so the Bangladeshi batsman had their confidence up and Poting seised on that and brought on Katich with his left-arm chinaman, a bowler Bangladesh wouldnn't have been expecting, so they might have thought they could get easy runs against him, but proved the downfall of Habibul Basher, who tried to attack Katich and came out 2nd best.

Richie: I thought Katich bowled wnderfully for his 5 overs he was on. He kept it tight and bowled with good variety and proved to the selectors that he can be useful with the ball, as well as the bat, as we all saw in the morning session. So all in all it has been a very good day for Simon Katich, not just with the bat, but with the ball as well. We'll be right back to bring you the 3rd and final session of the 2nd days play right after this short break.

Attachments

• Cricket2004 2004-08-06 14-37-22-18.JPG
    Cricket2004 2004-08-06 14-37-22-18.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Cricket2004 2004-08-06 14-37-29-69.JPG
    Cricket2004 2004-08-06 14-37-29-69.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 41
Stumps Day 2: Bangladesh 8/138 after 55 overs
A. Kapali 27, S. Hossain 25, K. Mashud 24
J. Gillespie 4/44 of 17, 2/32 of 11

Richie: As we come to the end of the second days play here, Bangladesh are in a big hole that would take a miracle to get them out of. The Australian bowlers found the perfect line and length to trouble the batsman. To analyse the day further, I'm joined this time by the recently retired Australian Captain, Steve Waugh. Steve, an interesting day's play. A total of 12 wickets fell in the day, and the wicket didn't seem to do that much.

Steve: Yeah, it was an interesting day's play to say the least. The Australians would have been disappointed with their batting efforts, but the bowling and fielding was very good. After getting such a great start from Matty and Alfie, the rest of the batting order failed to capitalize, but credit must also be given to the Banglasdeshi bowlers, they stuck to the task of bowling line and length and were rewarded with the wickets..

Richie: How did you see the Australian bowling? In particular Brett Lee's bowling after a long injury break??

Steve: I thought he started a bit slowly, which was expected after coming back from a serious injury with the ankle, but once he found the line I thought he bowled quite well, not quite as quick as he can, but still was quite sharp. He would've been happy after picking up a couple of wickets and should give him confidence going into the 2nd innings and the 2nd test.

Richie: Do u think, Ponting will enforce the follow-on??

Steve: I don't see why not, they only need 2 more wickets and they should be able to pick them up tomorrow morning without having to spend too much energy and the bowlers should be quite fresh after a good night's sleep tonite and should be rearing to go in the 2nd innings.

Richie: Thank you, Steve. Thank you all for joining us here today for an enthralling day's play and I hope you can join us here tomorrow. From the Channel Nine commentry team its good night and see u all here tomorrow at 10.30 am.

Attachments

• Cricket2004 2004-08-06 14-42-22-46.JPG
    Cricket2004 2004-08-06 14-42-22-46.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Cricket2004 2004-08-06 14-42-26-79.JPG
    Cricket2004 2004-08-06 14-42-26-79.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 30
Match State: Start of Day 3:
Score Summary:
Australia 9/466 Dec.: Hayden 139, Khaled Mahmud 6/100.
Bangladesh: 8/138: Kapali 27, Gillespie 4/44

Richie: Good morning and welcome to the Adelaide Oval for the start of the 3rd day of the 1st Test match between Australia and Bangladesh. The Australians are firmly in control of this match and if yesterday is anything to go by, the match may be all over today. Lets now cross to Tony Greig and Ian Healy at the centre of the Adelaide Oval for this pitch report.

Tony: Thank you Richie. What a day we have here at the Adelaide oval. Not a cloud in the sky. The pitch looks in fantastic conditions. I was a little bit suprised yesterday that 12 wickets fell. Maybe the extra pace in the wicket might have unsettled the Bangladeshi batsman, but looking at the wicket yesterday and today I don't seem to see any major reasons why there were 12 wickets in the day. It looks a hard, flat wicket. I'm joined by Ian Healy and Heals were u suprised with the number of dismissals yesterday.

Ian: Good Morning everyone. Yes Tony, I was very suprised at the number of dismissals. I don't put that down to the wicket though. There was some good bowling, but there were far too many loose shots played by batsman on both sides. Australia would have been disappointed at the outcome. They lost 9 wickets in just under 2 sessions. That could hurt them against better teams. Coming back to the wicket, as Tony said it looks a very very good wicket to bat on and hopefully we will see some good cricket today and Bangladesh batsman need to learn to grind out innings rather than go after every single loose ball and that prooved to be their undoing yesterday. Hopefully they will learn from their mistakes and play better in the 2nd innings.

Tony: Yes, I agree Heals. Some of the strokes played were really good, but a few too many were played. In a test match it is important to play for time as well. With that back to Richie, for what should be an interesting day's cricket.

Richie: Thanks you Tony and Heals. We will be joined shortly by Mark Taylor, right after this break..

hi dude, just a question... u got bangladesh at 138/8 right and ur bowling on a hard wicket/pitch right with tutsi's 5.4 ok are u getting any edges on this patch on a hard wicket, did any of these 8 wickets got any nicks to slips or keeper?

anyways nice match progressing there..

I was only able to get one nick and it somehow went between 3rd and 4th slip. It was of B.Lee bowling to Kapali, I think, notfully sure about the batsman. I haven't got too many edges other than that. Though I'm still working on my bowling, still not that good yet.....
I mostly bowl with spinners, but I thought of bowling with fast bowlers as practice against better opposition......

Users who are viewing this thread