ICC XI of the Year/Review of 2016 Thread

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Do they actually consider performances within a season and not year? From this May/June to next year's March/April?
They consider from One month of a particular year to same month of next year. For example, Particular date from September 2015 to particular date to September 2016 and so on. Next year will be like September 2016 to September 2017

Batting Category:
Best Batsman - Virat Kohli
Best Youngster - Kusal Mendis / Dhanajaya de Silva
Most Improved Batsman - Virat Kohli
Best Innings - Younus's 200 vs Eng & Karun Nair's 303
Failure of the year - Adam Voges

Bowling Category:
Best Bowler - Ravi Ashwin (Mitchell Starc or Rangana Herath could also have take this)
Best Youngster - Jasprit Bumrah
Most Improved Bowler - Ravindra Jadeja (Wasn't that good in 2015)
Best Innings - Mustafizur's 5-for vs NZ and Herath's whole series vs Australia
Failure of the year - Mohommad Amir

Team Category:
Best Team - India
Most Improved Team - England (After that pathetic 2015 WC, they have improved a hell lot)
Decline of the year - Australia

Misc:
Best Tournament/Series - ICC WT20 (Can Also be the Aus vs Sa 2016 ODI Series)
Best match - Ind vs Ban in the WT20 and also the Pak vs Aus test
Most surprising/shocking incident - Alaistar Cook playing at a strike rate of 77 :P

Team of the Year: India

Totally forgot about Kusal Mendis and De Silva. They were good too.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
They consider from One month of a particular year to same month of next year. For example, Particular date from September 2015 to particular date to September 2016 and so on. Next year will be like September 2016 to September 2017
I think that's because in September the English, Zimbabwean and Caribbean seasons end and Sri Lankan season takes a break , and the cricket season in the rest of the subcontinent, Oceania and South Africa is about to start, so there isn't really too much cricket. If they made it start in January, they would have to cut in between several series being played, and consider performances from half a series or something like that.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I think that's because in September the English, Zimbabwean and Caribbean seasons end and Sri Lankan season takes a break , and the cricket season in the rest of the subcontinent, Oceania and South Africa is about to start, so there isn't really too much cricket. If they made it start in January, they would have to cut in between several series being played, and consider performances from half a series or something like that.
Ya maybe. But it's confusing that way. They should consider from Jan to Jan to eliminate the confusion.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
These awards are a joke! Virat Kohli not in the Test Xi? And it will take me a lot of convincing to believe that Ashwin has been the cricketer of the year and not VK!!

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Here's my Test Team of the Year (Jan-Dec 2016)

:pak: Azhar Ali
:eng: Joe Root
:aus: Steven Smith
:ind: Virat Kohli
:eng: Jonny Bairstow
:eng: Ben Stokes
:saf: Quinton de Kock
:ind: Ravi Ashwin
:aus: Mitchell Starc
:sri: Rangana Herath
:saf: Kagiso Rabada

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
Ashwin thoroughly deserves his award. Over the past 12 months, it's nearly impossible to find a better cricketer than him (not just a better bowler or batsman). Having him is like having 12 men for India, such is his effectiveness with the bat and ball.

What on earth is Cook doing in the XI lmao, especially as captain? Smith deserves to be there. Some weird choices in that XI.

Last edited:

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
These awards are a joke! Virat Kohli not in the Test Xi?

I actually don't think it's surprising. It would have been if he was out of the ODI/T20 team.

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Ashwin thoroughly deserves his award. Over the past 12 months, it's nearly impossible to find a better cricketer than him (not just a better bowler or batsman). Having him is like having 12 men for India, such is his effectiveness with the bat and ball.

What on earth is Cook doing in the XI lmao, especially as captain? Smith deserves to be there. Some weird choices in that XI.

Only when they're palying in India

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well sure we can add that he's great at home and in the mighty West Indies.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Well sure we can add that he's great at home and in the mighty West Indies.
He has bowled well even in Sri Lanka.

Currently, he is the best spinner. Should wait and see how he performs in ENG/SA/AUS. He has evolved a lot since past one year. In those countries, if he bowls even half good as he has bowled in India, then that doubt will be cleared.

karolkarol

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Ireland (Cricket)
He has bowled well even in Sri Lanka.

Currently, he is the best spinner. Should wait and see how he performs in ENG/SA/AUS. He has evolved a lot since past one year. In those countries, if he bowls even half good as he has bowled in India, then that doubt will be cleared.

Saying Ashwin is the best spinner is akin to saying Klitschko is the best heavyweight boxer, true in context but 20 years ago both would have been seriously overshadowed by numerous others.

Best of a bad bunch I'd say.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Saying Ashwin is the best spinner is akin to saying Klitschko is the best heavyweight boxer, true in context but 20 years ago both would have been seriously overshadowed by numerous others.

Best of a bad bunch I'd say.
I have no idea who that person is.

I didn't say he is the best spinner ever. I said he is the best spinner currently. His only competitors are Yasir Shah and Herath. Ash was more successful than Herath in India's tour to Lanka and Yasir Shah is just below Ashwin with their current form.

Users who are viewing this thread