Story [ICC3] Doomed to fail? The rocky road of Yorkshire in 2008

Simple question: will we make it back to Division 1 in the County Championship?

• Good chance

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Marginal chance

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No chance at all

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Hoggard vs Surrey: 8 for 50

hoggard definately dominating the batsmen

...and how!!! He bowled out the Surrey low order with 82 minutes to go on day 3, ending with 8 for 50 and leaving us plenty of time to chase a 257 deficit.

Well, this ended quite different than we had hoped for... all out with only 25 runs to chase... 90 minutes were lost due to rain and with batting conditions deteriorating wickets tumbled all to fast...

Sure a wake-up call as we see that Mark Butcher, keeping wicket for Surrey conceded some 80 byes altogether

It's gonna be busy days in the nets.

Next game is a Group North qualifier vs Northamptnshire in the Challenge Cup
Dizzy will be allowed a rest

Last edited:
second loss - some changes needed

We lost our Challenge Trophy qualifier vs Northamptonshire. Batting remains a problem
i1539059_vsnhants.jpg

In the sickbay, Michael Munday (hamstring - 4 weeks) and Ben Wright (finger - 9 days), several players not in form and Vaughn with international commitments...
This leaves not enough room to rotate my players ...
Some changes deemed necessary for the upcoming clash vs Derbyshire.
It was my intention to wait till the 20 and 40 over competitions to call up players from the 2nd XI and even consider my own inclusion in the 1st XI.
But intensive practice sessions and a good run in our 2nd XI made me take the risk.
We'll be taking to the field with this line-up -showing this season's 2nd XI figures
i1539074_CCD2vsDerbyshire.jpg

Bresnan may not be in the best of form, he's always good for a couple of wickets.

unlucky about Munday and wright and disappointing loss too 250 was a decent target

History to be made at Headingley

The following piece appeared in the Jonathan Agnew column on the BBC News website

Last Updated: Friday 9 May 2008, 18:59 GMT 19:59 UK

History to be made at Headingley

How international the game has become is best illustrated by the events surrounding Yorkshire.
Much -too much- has been said and written about the scandals which threatened the future of the club, so I'm not gonna delve into that any longer.
The financial rescue package offered by an American kartel during the winter of 2007-08 coupled to the clause of a new management structure gave the club a new lease of life.

The appointment of a player-manager from a non-test playing nation was -and still is- considered blasphemous in the English cricket scene.
But the results are there! A 50% win record so far is better than was hoped for.

Who is the face behind this resurrection of this historic club?
Thus far JC Silvanski, a Belgian citizen based in Texas has avoided the spotlight but will make his debut on an English pitch when Yorkshire face Derbyshire in a division 2 game tomorrow.
He was considering an active role during some 20/20 matches but a shortage of fit players has forced him to take to the crease sooner than planned.

He agreed to give a short but exclusive interview...

JA: Tell us something about your cricket career.
JCS: A few seasons with Antwerp CC as a bits-and-pieces player and drinks carrier in the Be-Lux competition and a one-off stint for the 2nd national XI against the Dutch 3rd (or was it 4th?) XI during which I scored 7 runs in 100 minutes and almost took a wicket. That was in the 1990s. Back problems halted my career and a few years later I moved to the USA. I returned to the game after seeing the mess baseball's in these days... To reply to Robin Williams' quote: I prefer valium over steroids

JA: How did you get the job as manager of Yorkshire?
JCS: The company I work for is one of the financial backers of the club and as I'm the only one who knows about the game they offered me the job. They didn't wanna spend much money on a renowned proffesional.

JA: Any cricketers you admire?
JCS: Yes the pioneers, Lumpy Stevens, WG Grace, Tuffers... but above all the legendary Dave Podmore who taught me his famous leg-smear shot (always good for a satisfying single) and also that there's more to cricket than just whacking a ball.

JA: To the cricket now. How do you rate the chances of Yorkshire this season?
JCS: Not too bad. After a good start we had some setbacks but we're no longer the laughing stock of the cricketing empire.

JA: And on a personal note, what are your thoughts for tomorrow? It'll be an historic event, a Belgian in a first class game.
JCS: I pulled off a few nice tricks in the 2nd XI but this is the big enchilada aye... Historic yeah, I only hope I don't get my head knocked off by the first delivery.

excerpt from a diary

:onpcMay 10 2008, 11:42 am
This is it! D-Day, H-Hour, the moment of truth...
68 years ago the Nazis invaded my country and here I am, embarking on an invasion of some sort myself.
The moment I set foot on the field my anatomy starts to change. Legs turn into jello, my heart and larynx swap places and my spine seems to desintegrate.:help
Talcum powder and sweat have merged into a slushy substance in my gloves.
i1541115_historic1stdelivery2runs.jpg

My hands tremble ... Graham Wagg starts his run-up. The duck dreaded by so many cricketers has turned into a vulture, waiting to devour my corps as I watch the ball hurling towards me.
I close my eyes when I swing the bat... thack!!! Before I realize it Adam Lyth has already set off... Suddenly I regain control of my legs and race back and forth between the wickets.
My very first hit in 1st class cricket and it's worth two runs!:happy

solid now youve got your first runs steady ur innings to get a century

We had a troublesome start in this game.
15 for 2 after Wagg took out Key c Smith fir 13 and Pyrah lbw for 2.
As you can read in my dramatisation I came on at 1142 and promptly squeezed two runs out of Wagg. A lucky shot cuz I couldn't get the ball past the fielders for quite a while after that.
At 1218 Botha had Lyth out lbw , 41 for 3. Enter Vikram Solanki with a season's average of 36.05
He started to put them away on legside while I kept struggling to get something on the scoreboard.
I tried all kind of shots but just couldn't seem to reach the boundary. Need to eat more roast!
At 1237 Lungley put an end to it, bowled for 16 out of 38 balls, 61 for 4.
Thus ended my first taste of 1st Class cricket
i1541220_historicstat.jpg

We went into lunch with a meager 96 for 4.
Solanki and McGrath restored some order with a 5th wicket partnership of 148. McGrath went for 66.
Tea was served at 215 for 5 with Solanki on 87 and White on 1.

Our First Centurion of 2008

Vikram Solanki became our first Centurion as he played the leading part in a great recovery!
i1541389_Yorkshire200801410May2008SolankifirstcenturionCCD2vsDerbyshire.jpg

We ended day 1 in a way we didn't expect around lunchtime.

Users who are viewing this thread