Story [ICC3] Doomed to fail? The rocky road of Yorkshire in 2008

Simple question: will we make it back to Division 1 in the County Championship?

• Good chance

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Marginal chance

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No chance at all

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

silvanski

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Another centurion

Vikram increased his tally to an impressive 180 and a determined Craig White became our second centurion of the season when he battled his way to 103 out of 270 balls.
i1543342_Yorkshire20080151stinningsCCD2vsDerbyshire.jpg

OK our tailend collapsed and we ended the innings on 449, but they have other things to focus on.
We're counting on Hoggard and Gough to do the early damage in Derbyshire's first innings

Last edited:

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Goughy boy! :D He is one of my fav bowlers of all time. His yorkers.. Real time Indian bowlers have to learn that from him :p

Back to the story, I can see, the writing skills has been fantastic. When comes to writing, How about adding some colors to it and you will get some idea. You can get many ideas from Tips thread stickied here and other stories going around here. Good luck :thumbs

gutterman

International Cricketer
great batting by whitey shame the tail couldnt follow whitey vikram

kookaburra69

International Coach
Huge total posted by Yorkshire,excellent batting from Solanki and White!

silvanski

School Cricketer
Derbyshire fights back

It's been tough going for our bowlers.
After Bresnan got rid of Birt with a fine c&b Birch and Adnan started to pile up the runs.
But Goughie came to the rescue when his delivery chipped off Birch's bat straight in my hands at slip!
i1544236_Yorkshire2008016CCD2vsDerbyshirestartofday3.jpg

Day 3 is about to get underway and Adnan is still there ...
We remember the trouble he gave us in the 50 over match we played against them. But it's cloudy and the pitch is supposed to give turn later on.
Hoggard, despite being wicketless so far is bowling economically.

Last edited:

silvanski

School Cricketer
Weston spoils the party

Derbyshire's Philip Weston assured that this match is likely to end in a draw.
His sturdy 119 and decent support from Smith (44) and Botha (41) was a major source of frustration for our bowlers.
When we finally got them out for 520 it was already late in the third day.
i1545522_derbyshiresweston.jpg

Gough earned 4 wickets and Hoggard was the most economic of the bowlers.
i1545537_Yorkshire2008017CCD2vsDerbyshireD1stInns.jpg

On a personal note, I'm glad to have contributed by holding three catches.

Last edited:

silvanski

School Cricketer
A draw

As was expected our match vs Derbyshire ended in a draw.

We were bowled out for 281 with just over an hour to go and a 210 lead.
Derbyshire ended on 51/1.
This leaves us 5th in the tables
i1545668_Yorkshire2008018CCD2afterDshirematch.jpg

No surprise who was awarded man of the match, well done Vikram!!

My 2nd innings was even worse, only 7 runs out of 21 balls and again clean bowled, by Wagg this time... need more time in the nets but then it's back onto the field for a Challenge Trophy match vs Leicestershire May 14.

I want most of my FC players to rest so the one day team will see some returns and debuts

Dizzy had a good rest and is declared fit for duty. Rudolph desperately wants to have a go.

Making his debut for the 1st XI will be Yannim Eskandarian, an Armenian born US citizens, former pinch hitter for the University Of Houston baseball team but a promising convert to the real thing.

Our 1-day line-up will look like this.
Gale-Rudolph-Eskandarian-Silvanski-Hick-White-Lee-McGrath-Solanki-Gillespie-Gough

Our absentee -cuz on England duty- Michael Vaughn is in good form, he scored 195 in his 1st inns vs Zimbabwe

Last edited:

gutterman

International Cricketer
unlucky with the draw mate you'll do better enxt match

silvanski

School Cricketer
Latest result: Challenge Cup-Northern group
Leicestershire put 239/7 on the board
We were 168/2 ... after the 50 overs!
Eskandarian on 63* and myself on 34* are to blame for this low runrate... we both took a long time to settle during which the runrate began to drop dramatically.
i1546541_Yorkshire2008020ChallengeCupvsLeicesterresult.jpg

The season's planning involved a rather controversial decision: we weren't gonna focus too much on the short game, rather use it as practice for the County Championship and getting back in the 1st division... and practice we got... this was batting at 4-day rhythm!

silvanski

School Cricketer
Crunch match in CC-D2

After losing yet another 50 over game the pressure is on. We need to regroup and get our act together.
The press, unbiased but critical at first has been changing its tone.
Following piece appeared in the sportspages of one of the nations leading tabloids.

Yorkshire's Flying Circus
bound to come down hard!

May 19, 2008

Yorkshire's revival was shortlived. After a promising start and some good performances in the county championship the club once more has decended into what only can be described as a farce.
Their weird show in the limited overs Challenge Cup qualifiers, where they consistently field an incoherent XI made up of foreign mercenaries, past glories etc is again starting to put the future of the club in doubt.
Despite two 60s by Eskandarian one can only ask what the meaning is of allowing American college baseball players onto our holy turf.

As it seems the club is going from bad to worse.
Why do talented cricketers like Hoggard or Solanki keep loyal to this flying circus?

They'll soon take matters in their own hands if this situation keeps deteriorating!
And that time can already come in the next few days.

Indeed all odds are against us for our next match in CC-D2 as we'll be facing the might of Essex, unbeaten in four games.
We need to avoid defeat if we wanna retain a mathematical chance for promotion.
The Essex batsmen have been outstanding so far and this guy is the most feared throughout division 2.
i1547035_Yorkshire2008021CCD2vsEssexthedangerman.jpg

Look at his figures of this season!
Can Matthew Hoggard put a halt to this guy?

silvanski

School Cricketer
Make or break; Yorkshire at Essex, preview

A brief preview before this important match.

The teams :

Essex
Chopra - Ten doeschate - Foster - Bopara - Irani - Napier - Middlebrook - Parsons - Thomas - Patterson - Palladino

Yorkshire
Pyrah - Lyth - Gale - Rudolph - Eskandarian - Solanki - White - Gillespie - Gough - Hoggard - Bresnan

We lost the toss and will have to bowl first, maybe not too bad cuz the forecast is for partly cloudy skies during the first two days and clear skies on days three and four.

The outfield is considered to be slow at the start, will gradually get drier, harder and faster.

We'll need an early breakthrough during the Essex 1st inns.

silvanski

School Cricketer
Essex vs Yorkshire day 1

53 minutes in the game, Essex on 47
Ten doeschate scoops up a slower delivery straight into Hoggard's hands on his follow-through!
:happy
f_Yorkshire20m_fa31709.jpg

Solanki drops Chopra when he's on 48, an expensive drop as it will turn out to be

Lunch is taken with Essex 115/1, Chopra 60, Foster 26

At 2:11pm Rudolph catches Foster off Hoggard for 38
139/2

Chopra survives a run-out attempt on 84

Tea is taken with 272/2 on the board, that stubborn and lucky Chopra on 141, Bopara 58
Hoggard pick of the bowlers with 2 for 50

In an effort to break the rhythm and give the pacers some extra rest, former relief pitcher Eskandarian has been delivering some left-arm spinners.
Bowling the second over after tea he clean bowls Bopara for 61
286/3

f_Yorkshire20m_45d4891.jpg

Irani -on 26- misjudges a Gough delivery, steers it high to the offside where it is comfortably caught by White 341/4

Napier chips a Bresnan breezer to Solanki for a duck 346/5

Hoggard bowls Middlebrook for 7, 369/6

Chopra out, at last!!! :happy:cheersCaught Rudolph, bowled Gough :hpraise ... 6 runs short of a double century , 380 for 7

Essex ends the day on 383 for 7

Let's hope their tailend doesn't cause too much trouble tommorow, cuz we's eager to bat;)

silvanski

School Cricketer
Essex out just before lunch

Parsons caused us some headaches but we managed to gett'em out before lunch on day 2
f_Yorkshire20m_14d55b1.jpg

It's up to our opening batsmen to finally deliver the goods:upray

Users who are viewing this thread