harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Gutless performance. The bowlers bowled their hearts out and the batsmen let them down. All too familiar in the history of Indian cricket.

The positives from this series - Sreesanth, Zaheer and the comeback of the leader, Saurav Ganguly. Dravid's captraincy has been well below average in this test series. His captaincy has been meandering below average in all the recent tournaments. Its time to ask him to concentrate on batting alone, and give back captaincy to the one and only 'Dada' (Sachin wont accept captaincy and Kumble not sure of place in side in ODI's).

Saisrini, glad you raised the point of Dravid's captaincy. It's been so dismal. Imagine not bowling Sachin Tendulkar immediately on day 5 where he got so much of rip and turn in the 1st innings. Any idiot would have realized that you needed to trouble South Africa with spin and turn, not pace on a wearing 5th day wicket.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Cricket_god said:
I think munaf was not fit enough give him some time he is a match winner he would be very very important in west indies.ganguly cannot be captain as board has already given dravid the job.i think i am pretty dis appointed with ganguly i thought he would convert his starts but he failed its his old problem of getting out due to lack of concentration.i think he has to be in middle overs in west indies to take on spinners not opening.

disappointed with ganguly? what abt dravid, tendulkar, laxman, sehwag?

ganguly is successful as opener.. he should open, sehwag is better in the middle order

harishankar said:
Saisrini, glad you raised the point of Dravid's captaincy. It's been so dismal. Imagine not bowling Sachin Tendulkar immediately on day 5 where he got so much of rip and turn in the 1st innings. Any idiot would have realized that you needed to trouble South Africa with spin and turn, not pace on a wearing 5th day wicket.

Yeah, I have never been a fan of Dravid - the captain. His decisions have been awful.

Cricket_god

Associate Cricketer
saisrini80 said:
disappointed with ganguly? what abt dravid, tendulkar, laxman, sehwag?

ganguly is successful as opener.. he should open, sehwag is better in the middle order

Yeah, I have never been a fan of Dravid - the captain. His decisions have been awful.

Others were not in form so it matters when you are in form make big runs so that team wins
otherwise your performance does not matter.

Also dravid is a guy who leads from the front in this series he was not able to deliver so we lost so it shows how much we depend on dravid.also decisons
anybody can get wrong its the body language which i thought was not good enough

harishankar said:
Gutless performance. The bowlers bowled their hearts out and the batsmen let them down. All too familiar in the history of Indian cricket.

Bowling sachin was a gamble which as the runs were small dravid did not take
so in hind sight it was a bad move but he choose the safer option.

Last edited:

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Cricket_god said:
Also dravid is a guy who leads from the front in this series he was not able to deliver so we lost so it shows how much we depend on dravid.also decisons
anybody can get wrong its the body language which i thought was not good enough

Yes, Dravid had a very unusal test series this time! Anyways, the series is over now! We shd try concentrating in upcoming ODI series.

Some of the positives in my opinion are,

* Dada(Ganguly) made an unforgettable comeback which wud & shd secure a place in ODI series and infact i am eagerly waiting for their ( Sachin n Sourav ) century partnerships ;)

* Zaheer, Sree and Jumbo had a great series. Especially the whole tour is very great for Zaheer Khan which is another great comeback.

* Karthick... He just played only one test in this series ( test series ) and impressed everyone! Genuine innings(both) from Karthick and importantly, he showed the promising attitude in this tour! But lets hope that he doesnt fall like other youngsters like Raina in future after showing promising attitude!

* Dhoni showed a great attitude in ODI series.

Some of the negatives in my opinion,

* Sehwag is Top in this list :p He struggled thru out this tour! He needs some special person who can trigger him... But i still believe that he is dangerous when he gets his form back :)

* Sachin, inspite of having a good tour ( not that bad as a whole ), he has to get the confidence back! He is running out of confidence right from the DLF cup.

We are all aware that his health is troubling more, but still, he can attack like before.... His 100+ innings against Windies in DLF is one such example but its been a long time back though!

Bring the confidence back and everything wud be alright soon!

* Dravid... what happened to this Wall? :( what happened to huge hundreds in test matches which Dravid is capable of ? where is the role of " Mr.Dependable " gone?

I guess, out of forms are quite common in cricket! But we are unlucky that many have gone out of form at the same time!

* Harbhajan Singh, poor man that he didnt get a single chance in test series, but nothing is to be blamed of as the situation was like that!

Well, its time to refresh ourselves and look forward for the next series which Windies in India! This is important for us to boost the confidence of our team.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I've been saying Dravid was a poor skipper ever since he was appointed!!
Mohammed Kaif for captain!

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
The overall team fitness was also a negative. Most of the players are ageing in this Test side and it showed in their fielding and running between the wickets. Also the lack of genuine all-rounders come back to haunt India as the tail didn't wag again in the last test match.

Sending Irfan Pathan back so early might have been a mistake... Obviously they didn't expect Munaf Patel to break down again, but it was a risk, sending back the one genuine all-rounder in the team...

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
* Dada(Ganguly) made an unforgettable comeback which wud & shd secure a place in ODI series and infact i am eagerly waiting for their ( Sachin n Sourav ) century partnerships

You lot talk up Ganguly way too much. He hit 2 fifties... yes they were good but they weren't big hundreds. He still has to prove a fair bit to the coach imo.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Yes, he has kept his place for maybe one or two more series but will need more to secure it indefinately.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Sourav in the ODI team might be a bit suspect, since his fielding is still horrible and he cannot be expected to bowl any better now since he's getting older.

Cricket_god

Associate Cricketer
harishankar said:
Sourav in the ODI team might be a bit suspect, since his fielding is still horrible and he cannot be expected to bowl any better now since he's getting older.[/QUOTE

Absolutely but i think in middle order he will be useful against spin so he will play i think but not as opener .

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
I don't think Ganguly will come into the ODI team. Guys like Yuvraj and Kaif seem certain to be ahead of him for a place in the middle order. As for the opener, I think Gambhir will do the job, if not Sehwag.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Well even if Ganguly does come back into the ODI team, it should only be till the World Cup, after which both he and Sachin should retire from ODIs and concentrate only on test matches. This will allow India to build a team for the 2011 World Cup.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Drewska said:
You lot talk up Ganguly way too much. He hit 2 fifties... yes they were good but they weren't big hundreds. He still has to prove a fair bit to the coach imo.

What did the others do in comparison???? Dont joke around here! Ganguly has done quite a bit to prove himself to be fit in the team.

And he doesnt need to prove it to the coach. It was this coach who lied that Ganguly was mentally unfit to be captain, who divided the team, who created rifts among players, etc.

harishankar said:
Sourav in the ODI team might be a bit suspect, since his fielding is still horrible and he cannot be expected to bowl any better now since he's getting older.

As if others are fielding ever so brilliantly. :rolleyes:

Shall we drop Dravid then? Dravid's fielding has taken quite a pounding in recent times. He was embarassing himself and his fans with his silly misfields in the recently concluded test series. His impact with batting has been far lesser than Saurav's in the recently concluded test series. Whats ur take on Dravid then?

Adarsh said:
I don't think Ganguly will come into the ODI team. Guys like Yuvraj and Kaif seem certain to be ahead of him for a place in the middle order. As for the opener, I think Gambhir will do the job, if not Sehwag.

Yuvraj is not yet ready for international cricket. He has just started out playing in the nets. And Kaif is ahead of a place??? What a joke! Kaif has been performing horribly in the recent ODI's that he has played for India. If at all he has to retain his place, it will be only because of his fielding. Tell me one innings apart from that 80 odd in the Natwest series final, that Kaif has played for India?

Raina and Mongia will find it damn hard to get back. Ganguly will come in place of Raina and will be the first choice opener along with Sachin. Sehwag will be the reserve back up opener.

m_vaughan said:
Well even if Ganguly does come back into the ODI team, it should only be till the World Cup, after which both he and Sachin should retire from ODIs and concentrate only on test matches. This will allow India to build a team for the 2011 World Cup.

Let Ganguly decide that! In my opinion, Ganguly should retire from test cricket and play more of ODI cricket as his style is suited more for ODI cricket. But these guys arent old enough to think of retiring. I predict none of the senior Indian players to retire after the World Cup. May be Kumble might think about it, but other than that, I rate it highly unlikely

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
saisrini80 said:
What did the others do in comparison???? Dont joke around here! Ganguly has done quite a bit to prove himself to be fit in the team.

And he doesnt need to prove it to the coach. It was this coach who lied that Ganguly was mentally unfit to be captain, who divided the team, who created rifts among players, etc.
As much as I agree that Ganguly has made a good comeback and should be considered for ODI selection I have to say that it was right to, first, stripping him of captaincy, and then on the basis of his form, dropping him from the team.

Its good that someone stood up and decided to put performances and form ahead of past laurels. And Ganguly before he was dropped was playing very ordinary cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread