India Outside the Sub-Continent.

Rahul is undoubtedly talented , but his record is not very good. He has an average of 47 playing at Bangalore where the pitch is a very flat one. If there is one person I will pick from Karnataka , it is Utthapa because he has been consistent for the past couple of years in limited overs cricket. I believe India should pick the likes of Paliwal and Jaggi for the Bangladesh tour. Both have been very consistent so they should be picked. CM Gautam should be given a chance as well.

Yes, Rohit hasn't been consistent, but certainly not been very bad. But he has the the right temperament. Also tbh, the way Pujara played in New Zealand hasn't been a point of debate, but will surely ignite one if at all he fails in the upcoming England series (which hopefully doesn't take place as it would mean a failure of someone who's already being seen as our long term asset).

this mentality to over emphasize on bating is whats letting us down, we need to concentrate on bowlers to win and that to no miracle will happen with current stocks, we need to build in long term, thats the only way our team can win matches.

batsman save matches, bowlers win matches.

batsman esp the the current gen has saved matches both in SA and NZ, but our bowling has failed to win any.

Sure they perform well when there's assistance of pitch but look listless when there is none.

----------

Rohit hasn't been consistent, but certainly not been very bad.
rohit sure has a lot talent, but its a long time since he is in the side, apart from that brief flash of briliance during aus, CT he is not consistent, how long will keep giving chance top a person not performing up to the level.

We have already invested so much time in him, so it wouldnt be wrong to may be persist another series but if he doesnt perform ,its time to invest in someone else.

If somebody has to be dropped, it should be Dhoni.
let me put it like this, that guy is the best finisher we have got for odi's and T20, a terrific batsman even in tests in SC, A captain that has achieved almost every achievement, has seen the peaks and lows, is handling a transition,,need to be replaced , with who?

one guy thas fit all time ,plays 3 roles in all 3 formats and still we want to dump him why?.

I do know there are problems with him
1.Defensive captaincy- Bowling stocks due to slightly biased selection not much its not like he is benching Dale steyn for ishant.
2. very stubborn selection like persisting with sharmas.may be he like us thinks the talent will come to fruition someday or believes in try out fully before showing door.
3.doesnt perform well outside SC as batsman only in tests, even then he is decent and has a higher probability of improving than rohit sharma.

that's a fair list of +ve and -ve points, weighing them i would still go by MSD everytime.

let me put it like this, that guy is the best finisher we have got for odi's and T20, a terrific batsman even in tests in SC, A captain that has achieved almost every achievement, has seen the peaks and lows, is handling a transition,,need to be replaced , with who?

one guy thas fit all time ,plays 3 roles in all 3 formats and still we want to dump him why?.

I do know there are problems with him
1.Defensive captaincy- Bowling stocks due to slightly biased selection not much its not like he is benching Dale steyn for ishant.
2. very stubborn selection like persisting with sharmas.may be he like us thinks the talent will come to fruition someday or believes in try out fully before showing door.
3.doesnt perform well outside SC as batsman only in tests, even then he is decent and has a higher probability of improving than rohit sharma.

that's a fair list of +ve and -ve points, weighing them i would still go by MSD everytime.

Completely agreed. But we're talking for tests as of now? I assume we are. And when it comes to unlimited overs, be it anywhere in the world, even in the sub-continent, Rohit Sharma will outweigh MSD (the batsman) everytime for me.

You've put the captaincy issue very well, when a team is loosing 2-0 in a 4 match series and if there is no flexibility in the selection and decision making, it makes us believe that there is a problem.

Again, talking about tests, Dhoni should be dropped ahead of Rohit. But we both know that none of them will be.

even in the sub-continent, Rohit Sharma will outweigh MSD (the batsman) everytime for me.
not for me dhoni is miles ahead of rohit in SC and can play at will like how he grinded against ENG with kohli in the last test and counterattacked Aus with that 234,but its your choice to each his own i guess.
But we both know that none of them will be.
thats true, agreed:yes

A captain that has achieved almost every achievement

Like winning a test series against England? Or winning a test series outside of India? India have literally won one test match outside of India since 2009, and that was against the West Indies in 2011. They're nowhere near best in the world at test cricket since they seem to forget how to play as soon as they are given a pitch that isn't a slow turner, or a road...

Like winning a test series against England? Or winning a test series outside of India? India have literally won one test match outside of India since 2009, and that was against the West Indies in 2011. They're nowhere near best in the world at test cricket since they seem to forget how to play as soon as they are given a pitch that isn't a slow turner, or a road...

obviously i have stated MSD needs improvement esp overseas tests.and you cant argue as he had put every cup in the cabinet for INDIA, also test ranking even if it was achieved by technicality it was a first for indian team, even the non SC team forget to play once they enter SC, only exceptions would be SA and SL to an extent.
ENG won in IND cause transition phase.

The case im making is neither MSD is the best captain in world or Indian team is best in the world,(right now there is no such thing as best team in world ).

What im saying is MSD is the best choice for indian team to go forward atleast until a few youngsters are groomed...

I think the main reason India doesn't perform well overseas is because they dont play domestic t20 tournaments overseas

Ummmm .. that is one of the least influential reasons for India underperforming overseas.

Playing domestic T20 overseas wont mean Shyte when it comes to performing overseas in Tests or even ODIs.

As @grkrama pointed out, more than the batting its the bowling that's the issue. On the dismal Aus/Eng tours, after getting the top order wickets our bowlers tend to lose their energy and bite. This happened a few times in the that series, and also in the NZ series. But I don't blame the bowling unit fully. No doubt they need to practice and hone their skills and be disciplined.

But a major part of the blame goes to MSD as well, especially in Tests. Like I have said many times before, you cannot go in with 4 bowlers including Jadeja/Ashwin and expect to get 20 wickets against top batting lineups. He can be ridiculously defensive and stubborn when it comes to picking the bowling attack and setting fields.

The whole argument of playing an extra batsman amounts to nothing when the other team is scoring 400+ runs every time. MSD needs to back his pacers and spinners, and give them the freedom to attack.

Last edited:
One against South Africa in the 10/11 season.

Two in FIVE YEARS isn't much better than one to be honest. When was India's last away series win?

The players need more time playing in the most foriegn of conditions: the only time that would logically fit into the international calendar would be April/May in the UK, but that is when the IPL is held. Playing more T20s or more games in India isn't going to help them at all!

Users who are viewing this thread