India/Pakistan views on changing the World Cup

Associates in the World Cup?

• Total voters
The 03 format was better than the 07 format. Think about it, Ireland won only one game at the entire tournament, but were not knocked out for 10 matches.

If you ask me i think the top Associates need to play more games against the top nations. Maybe put Ireland in the NZ V Bangladesh ODI series and let them play a four day test against a test playing nation. For example Kenya v South Africa prior to the Windies series. Along with that the top 3 nations in the associates should play in the world cup. Maybe a qualification cup where the top 16 teams get into the world cup. So even the test nations fight for a spot.

Well England have just arranged 3 ODI tours to Ireland over the next few years. The number of sides in it is right, but the format needs sorting out. I'm fairly sure if it was my job and I had as much time as they do I could come up with a better one than they did for 07 though.

But they should go to places like Australia, SL, NZ, India and all those countries so they can experience away games but then its good England are preparing tours but i feel Ireland have justified their ability to play constant tours and they'll only prove making the wc even more exciting. I don't like the idea of reducing the number of teams from 16 to 14 unless test nations face axing.

Tom it was under Jagmohan Dalmiya reign that ICC adopted the approach to expand cricket to non cricket playing nations. To think that India will be opposing any expansion of cricket I think you are wrong there.

As fas as world cup goes. The more the teams the more the world cup will end up like West Indies 2007. I rest my case.

That had nothing to do with the amount of teams in the World Cup. As angryangy said above, the format didn't work as well as the 03 format.

Now I really wonder why these two don't want the smaller countries in the World Cup. Who knocked Pakistan out last time? Oh yeah. Ireland. If you want the best teams in it, you might as well just scrap the World Cup and just have one final between Australia and Sri Lanka/SA as they will be the one's in the final.

The more countries in the World Cup the better I feel as with cricket being a minority sport in so many countries it can only help improve Cricket in being improved. Maybe if it is such an issue for these big guns that they are scared of Ireland, Scotland etc perhaps an extra stage can be created like in the Football World Cup for these associates to qualify through to get rid of the rubbish countries like Bermuda who aren't up to the standard and need a few more years to improve.

Associates have to go through the qualification even now.
Secondly,you talk of having more countries-lets have 24 then.
It will not work in cricket.Let the Associates play in other tournaments,why the World Cup ?

Tom it was under Jagmohan Dalmiya reign that ICC adopted the approach to expand cricket to non cricket playing nations. To think that India will be opposing any expansion of cricket I think you are wrong there.

As fas as world cup goes. The more the teams the more the world cup will end up like West Indies 2007. I rest my case.

The format of 2007 was flawed.

I believe that the World Cup should be played between the 9 Test playing nations only.

Eh? It's a ODI tournament why should it be Test playing nations exclusive? That doesn't make sense.

Yeah they'll never grow unless they play against those greater sides...
and they shouldn't change the world cup there wasn't anything wrong with it.

I think the title of thread is utter rubbish.

1. Can I get a neutral source on this?
2. How can India be complaining about the previous World Cup when they were knocked out by a Test nation and scored 400+ against an associate country?

I do not think that it is rubbish to reduce the number of teams by two. In the case of the 2007 World Cup that would be eliminating Netherlands and Bermuda. Bermuda and Netherlands added nothing to the 2007 World Cup and were just lambs to the slaughter. Netherlands may have beaten Scotland, but that is neither here nor there in the case of the whole tournament.

Furthermore, to all those morons saying that India and Pakistan are jealous after losing to Ireland and Bangladesh...Ireland were 13th seed, so they'd have got in under the rules India/Pakistan suggested. Bangladesh are 11th seed, so they'd have got in too.

I agree with reducing the number of teams by two because it helps give the elite associates a chance whilst reducing teams who will not in a hundred years qualify for the Super Eights.

I preferred the 03 thing more. Sure, we had the associates, and we had the upsets. I think reverting to that format is for the greater good. Just compare it to the World Cup in the Caribbean <-It was trash. Too many teams, too many dead rubbers. I enjoyed watching Ireland play, but it was overkill. From a cricketing perspective, this is a good thing. But from a player's perspective, someone who may represent the United States when 2011 comes, this is bad.

Personally, while I agree that the format of the World Cup is wrong, I dont think there should be a cut in the number of teams. I for one greatly enjoyed watching some of the matches that the lower ranked teams played in. We have matches involving the test nations on a pretty much constant basis, its nice to see other teams and its especially nice to see little guys performing well against big arrogant countries.

I'd prefer the World Cup to be more like the football world cup. I know the amount of teams is nowhere near equivalent to what the football world cup has, but the group stage followed by a straight knockout tournament would be a lot better, and the tournament wouldn't last for about 6 months like it did last time.

Users who are viewing this thread