India v England 2008

Match saving? It was a match winning hundred!

I'm glad i'm not making the MOTM decision. Seems harsh to not give it to Strauss but he did end up on the losing side and Tendulkar's was in the worst conditions.
That's what I meant. :P

I reckon Strauss should get it, it's not often someone scores a double.

Sachin's best century. By far. But its his opinion not mine:D

Poor KP.

The man of the match should go to Strauss so that we can show zMario that a batsman can win the match for his team and not get a man of the match award. :rolleyes:

But, honestly, I'm amazed. I expected India to be skittled out under 300. Also, Dhoni is 4/4 in Test matches won.

Last edited:
India's pacemen were the difference as the Indian batsmen finally stood up and matched England's batting when it counted. Most of the bowlers found it to be a less than generous wicket, but somehow Zaheer Khan and Ishant Sharma managed to get a duopoly on both economy and strike power. England had the sword poised in the 3rd innings with hundreds to Strauss and Collingwood, but once Strauss relented, the quicks came and dragged England through 4 wickets for 49 runs. Although facing the task of completing a 4th highest run chase in Test history as well as a record chase on Indian soil, it was apparently far too little as India appeared hungry enough to take on an extra 60 runs.

The declaration was just academic.It was not as if he declared when he had 5 wickets in hand.

they still would have declared(had only 5 wkts would have fallen). no team would declare unless they feel they have a better chance than opposition have chance technically or confidence wise or any other reason.
if he would have been unsure he would have played last wicket.

since India batted too well in the second innings you can now say this. in declaration one has to give other team chance to go for it as well. in that sense it was perfect declaration.

2nd session yesterday was the one that cost England, only 2 boundaries and the loss of 6 wickets. If we'd scored 100 in that session India would have had 420/430, which still may not have been enough, but it would have given us a far better psychological edge. Bowling badly to Sehwag also cost us heavily as well, if we'd bowled properly at him we'd have had the edge going into the 5th and final day. Just a few small mistakes will cost you when playing a class side like India.

Rashid does naturally flight the ball unlike Panesar. As Slowcoach says, there isn't any point wrapping him in cotton wool and waiting for a tour of Bangladesh since that's not exactly a competitive test. I see no harm in giving him one test and then can reflect during the county season.

Sehwag gets it. Fair enough but if England had won Strauss would get it.

Wow, they stuffed that one up, Sehwag MOTM...I suppose he changed the course of the match a bit...but still, Strauss or Tendulkar...

We must thank the English side for first showing the will to tour India and now putting up a great show for the cricketing public.Take a bow !:hpraise This has done a lot to repair India`s image as a dangerous nation to tour and will certainly come up as a huge fillip to the test match game.

This game really had it all, gritty efforts from Colly and Struass. Excellent fast bowling from Zaheer,Freddie and Ishant. Some stuff of genius from Sachin,Yuvraj and belligerence from the Monk.Not to forget the contributions from Dhoni and Harbhajan with the bat and huge crowds for test match cricket.I loved the bit of banter between Freddie and Yuvraj !
Its been a dream test match and a reply to the cowards who thought life would come to a standstill because of their cowardly acts.

Last edited:
Cricinfo had this to say "So where did England lose this Test after dominating so much of it? When they scored some 57 runs in a session yesterday.".

What a load of bull, they lost it when Sehwag smashed them all over the park to make a generous declaration look like a stupid one.

Strauss and Collingwood not going on after scoring tons was probably another key moment, another 50 or 60 runs scored at a decent rate between those two would have made a big difference.

England's attack was made to look toothless, but India can do that to anyone, I know I bashed KP unfairly earlier, but really India were just too good, they won it rather than England losing it, I am just annoyed because now it looks like England have no hope of beating Australia in the Ashes.

Users who are viewing this thread