India v England 2008

If we do win this game which we should from here,it would be one of the greatest run chases in test cricket history not because of the total but because the wicket on the final day has been far from a batting beauty.It did have a lot to offer for the bowlers and the English bowling attack is a very good one.

I hope this finally shuts up all the Sachin critics who said he could not contribute in pressure situations.In the past 5 tests, he has done that time and again.He rescued India from tricky situations in the Australia series and here again he has played a gem.
One man I do feel for is Dravid.The guy deserves a better farewell to test cricket than this.He has been the chief architect of our finest overseas and home wins in the past decade.

A 20 year old leg spinner? of course he could do worse than 3/150, especially against India. What's more is that you could alter his development at a crucial stage.

Even at this stage, I feel Rashid would do a better job than Monty. But I feel because Rashid is still young that Monty will get away with it. We can't keep saying Rashid is still in development forever and at some point he will have to be given a go.

if at all India wins, it will be amazing as after a long time i would see a team declaring and losing :D

The declaration was just academic.It was not as if he declared when he had 5 wickets in hand.

100 up for Monty. Has been one hell of a chase by India, the fully deserved it.

Looks like Sachin will get a hundred. I was wondering whether one o them would go for it.

sachin 100, well done you legend :clap

Geekery added 1 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

excellent play by India, absolutely brilliant

well played sehwag, sachin, and the so called micky mouse cricketer

How epic is this? Absolutely amazing, full credit to India, starting off with Sehwag and Gambhir, then Sachin, with Yuvraj making an awesome comeback. My hat is off.

Funny that the Indian batsmen's reputation for playing spin is so fearsome that teams are too scared to pick their best team for fear of having their young spinner slogged into obliveon.

It didn't really set back Shane Warne's career too badly did it?

When will be the right time for England to pick Rashid? On a non turning English pitch against Australia? Or maybe on a tour of Zimbabwe? Or will they dump a proven performer who is in good form just to accomodate Rashid on a tour of Bangladesh?

I think the Bangladesh one seems like the best option, provided it is a 3 test series and England are up 2-0 and can afford to stuff around in the final match without worrying about costing themselves the series.

I remember a quote from Wisden years ago about a 19 or 20 yr old Damien Martyn blasting 60 off 43 balls in an ODI in England, people in England marvelled at his talent for someone so young, and Wisden said that something along the lines of "it is not as if England don't have young players equally gifted, the difference is that Australia play them".

Surely a good performance in India by Rashid would give him a heap of confidence and accelerate his development.

Being wrapped in cotton wool and basically being told that "you are not good enough, we don't trust you enough to use you in any game that really matters" is only going to damage a players confidence and send him backwards by making him believe he is not good enough.

What a victory ! Amazing scenes. Great atmosphere at the Chepauk.
The crowd deserves huge accolades as well.They`ve proved that they are India`s best test match crowd which is why I believe that test cricket is still alive at the major centres in India.

Great win by India. Yuvi played well. I have never seen Tendu so happy getting his century. He is comparing this century with one of his best century.

Who will get man of the match though, will it be Sachin for his match-saving hundred, Sehwag for starting the innings well, or good ol' Levi Strauss for his double?

Who will get man of the match though, will it be Sachin for his match-saving hundred, Sehwag for starting the innings well, or good ol' Levi Strauss for his double?

Match saving? It was a match winning hundred!

I'm glad i'm not making the MOTM decision. Seems harsh to not give it to Strauss but he did end up on the losing side and Tendulkar's was in the worst conditions.

Has to be Strauss for scoring a hundred in both innings surely? Tendulkar may have played the key innings, but he didn't perform in the 1st innings. India won, fair enough, but Strauss has been the player of the Test without doubt.

Have to give it to India, they've outplayed us when it really counted, the final day. I didn't see much hope after Sehwag's slogging yesterday. We've not bowled well enough, Anderson was under-used as was Harmison, and Monty bowled poorly, which really didn't help things. Panesar has really taken backward steps since coming into the side. In 2006 we would see flight and some real rippers, I've not seen Panesar bowl one of those dynamite deliveries for a good year. He bowls too fast, especially after getting hit for a boundary, and Robo's right, Rashid would have done a much better job.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread