Indian board opposes Hair standing in Champions Trophy

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Cricinfo said:
The chances of Darrell Hair officiating in the Champions Trophy appear to have receded substantially with the news that the Indian board has written to the ICC asking that he not be allowed to stand during the tournament.

"Yes, we have written to the ICC," a senior BCCI official told Cricinfo. "There may be some unseemly incident as he is already in a controversy." An ICC spokesman confirmed that a letter had been received from the BCCI but reiterated that the decision over appointments for the tournament remained entirely with the ICC. The Indian board had earlier said that it would abide by the ICC's decision on umpiring choices.

Full article here: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/iccct2006/content/current/story/260620.html

--
What I don't understand is why India is playing ping pong with Hair. If they had supported the ICC when the whole fiasco has erupted, why are they changing sides now?

Interesting. I agree with Sohummisra. They supported ICC earlier so why the sudden change? Or do they fear something unwanted could happen off the field? Maybe he has received threats from somebody. Do not laugh at me. It does happen.

But I seriously doubt it as BCCI would have made it open, or even Hair , for that matter. Maybe they want the Champions Trophy to take center stage.

Last edited:
News channels say it is because he is already in so much controversy. As I said earlier I guess they want just the Champions Trophy to take center stage.

I really don't support the BCCI here.
I mean,they have nothing to do with the controversy,then why ?
Consider if India were playing England in that ill-fated test match,then yes,they have a reason to not to allow Hair to officiate.

Regd Hair's safety-I don't think that that is a problem actually.
We also do not know which member came out with this statement.

The less Hair, the less screwjobs. And it seems that the BCCI don't like to be screwed.

Darrell Hair who is disallowed to officiate champion trophy matches (Loss of many matches fee) and also might not supervise future matches to be played in India and Pakistan (Again Loss of many match fees for which that hungry man is sticking with his job and wants to remain ?in?)??? He was called boo boo (Greedy Person) in the public when he demanded $500,000 for his compulsory retirement as compensation in lieu of loss of match fees. This uncalled bahaviour might consider that he has taken bribes to put blame on Pakistan of ball tampering.

Dr. Mas most of what you have posted is pretty much untrue. One of the most bias posts I have read in a long time. There is nothing to suggest he won't umpire in future matches on Indian sole, indeed the BCCI have said they have nothing against him. He didn't "demand" ?500,000, he put it foward as a suggestion or offer. And noone has even considered, nor will any sane person, that has taken bribes to put blame on Pakistan for ball tampering...

Apart from that, your post is spot on :p

If you read the e-mail where he "demanded" the money to retire, it starts something like "As previously discussed". So in reality, the ICC essentially proposed that he received the money for retiring.

Users who are viewing this thread