Inzamam;A match winning player?

Pak_cricketer

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
We all know the famous stats about Inzi's hundreds being match-winning ones but his 97 vs England at Lahore made me wonder why that innings should be excluded?

After all we only beat England by 100 runs, if we didnt have those extra hundred runs then we would have had to bat again and perhaps drawn the test match. Inzi's 97 runs and the speed at which they were accrued surely played a part in turning this match from a drawn test into a test we won. Below are his percentages of matches won per score from 80 to 100...

74% ---> score of 100+
67% ---> score of 90+
65% ---> score of 80+

Inzi's percentages look excellent. It's clear that the more runs that Inzi scores the more chance there is of a Pakistani win. But what about the other two batsmen he is always compared to?

Tendulkar
32% ---> score of 100+
30% ---> score of 90+
30% ---> score of 80+

Lara
27% ---> score of 100+
30% ---> score of 90+
36% ---> score of 80+

Tendulkar and Lara's 80+ scores lead to about half the chance of a team win when compared to Inzi's.

In fact as Lara's contribution goes down from 100+ runs to 80+ runs the chances of his team winning go up by 9%. This suggests that when Lara scores really big the teams chances of winning plummet but when he gets out quicker there's a 9% better chance of a Windies win.

This is in contrast to Pakistan's 9% increase in the teams chances of winning the more Inzi goes on to score!

Inzi really is a phenom when it comes to inspiring the team with his bat and although recently he has been accused of selfish batting. It's clear to see that that isnt true!!

Inzi is an awesome batsmen. I agree he gives confidence to the other batters. Yousuf in particular bats well with Inzi.
There's not much comparision with Lara as his team hasn't been any good for a while. When he makes a big score its well over 50% of the teams score meaning other batsmen have failed and he has had to save the day.

Inzamam seems to be quite often underrated, he is an outright superstar. But I'd have to agree with what aussie said, you can't compare him with Lara as his team doesn't win very often regardless of what Lara does to inspire them.

I agree, Imzi is an amazing batsman. I remember watching him in the 96 world cup, i did not like him. Due to his physical limitations, particularly his running between the wickets, and his "lazyness", i often disliked him. But not after his recent exploits and even the stats reveal that he is agreat performer for Pakistan. I like his shots through the off-side, he plays them with less effort but the effect is superb!

Like Ravi Shastri once said "lazy elegance demonstrated by the big man".

Inzamam is an all time great but I do believe he is still not as great as Bradman,Sobers,Lara & Gavaskar.He has more match winning 100s than Bradman,Lara & Tendulkar which shows his class.He is a treat to watch.I hope he plays 5 years more for Pakistan & seve his team as much as he can.

I think India would find themselves drawing games more, that might account for Tendulkar, as India have been fairly successful.

Nevertheless, Inzamam is the greatest potato to play cricket.

INZY is better than lara and sachin.he proved recently in test matches in pakistan against england.so boys inzy is best all time of legend.he score only for pakistan.and lara and sachin score for own reputation not for team thar its true.everybody knows

Shoaib Ahmed said:
Inzamam is an all time great but I do believe he is still not as great as Bradman,Sobers,Lara & Gavaskar.He has more match winning 100s than Bradman,Lara & Tendulkar which shows his class.He is a treat to watch.I hope he plays 5 years more for Pakistan & seve his team as much as he can.
I don't think he has five more years left in him. His back problems will come in to play by the WC and he will most likely retire, which would be a sad day for Pakistani cricket. I would like to see him play long enough to get his 10,000 runs in tests, but I just don't see that happening.

BTW, aren't you a regular at CricketWeb?

Inzamam will always be a good player but I dont think he will make it to the greats list .

Simply because his "performance"(or non-performance) against the best ie the Australians.

Lara,Sachin,Dravid have done it and thats why they will perhaps be in that list.

Also Inzamam shies away from the rsponsibility it seems just because of his nos slot in the team.

For a batsman to be in the top bracket he has to be in the top order rather than middle and sometimes even lower order

I agree with ya ronny, Sachin, Dravid, Ponting, Border have all batted around 3, But then in inzamans defence pakistan havent had a rock solid top order so batting at 5 is like batting at 3.

If Inzy could run between the wickets like Collingwood or hussey, his average would be nearer 55.

Inzi has to one of them ost underrated players ever ..

He tends to perform his best while chasing big scores , invariably taking his team to a victory , which is not the case with Tendulkar .

ronny_kingsley said:
For a batsman to be in the top bracket he has to be in the top order rather than middle and sometimes even lower order
You've gotta be kidding me. Inzamam plays down the order for obvious problems with our top order. He plays no 5 so if the top men fail, he can come in and relieve some of the pressure off the batting, something that has worked so well over the years. If the guy has a top average and is a match winner for his country, then who cares what position he comes in at.

Although, I do agree that his average against Australia will be held against him once he retires, I hope he gets to fix that problem.

Inzy is best said:
INZY is better than lara and sachin.he proved recently in test matches in pakistan against england.so boys inzy is best all time of legend.he score only for pakistan.and lara and sachin score for own reputation not for team thar its true.everybody knows

Is that a joke?
Inzy is definitely a team player, a class-act in his own right. But please stop comparing players. I'm sure people here will come up with 100's of reasons why Lara or Sachin is better and this debate will continue until we all get tired.
Sachin and Lara score for reputation? Have you been watching international cricket other than pakistan matches?

Anyway, i don't want to be responsible for a debate here.

Inzy is a great player in his own way.

Users who are viewing this thread