Is Ganguly right in his outburst about his captaincy?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Is Ganguly right in coming out to the media and pouring his heart out about some one asking him to step down from captaincy (Chappell?). Do you guys think he was right in coming out to the open and doing so?

Here are some viewer opinions (Courtesy: Cricinfo)

Soumya Bhattacharya
India

Ganguly was dead right in going public about the captaincy issue. Everyone is concerned about the fact of his choosing to drop the bombshell in the middle of the match. But the very fact he was asked to step down before the match justifies it. If somebody is right in asking him to step down just before the match, then he has the right to react to it according to his own convenience. The fact that India's past cricket captains always took it lying down caused the downfall of Indian cricket. Ganguly's century is being criticized as one against the worst bowling attack in international cricket. If it is so, why in the first place should we go there and play cricket?

Vimal Thareja
India

Everybody seems to have an agenda when it comes to commenting on cricketing issues in India. This includes your own Anand Vasu. How can a coach ask the captain of the team to step down? Chappell is trying to play god here. Let him first establish his credentials as coach before having a say in selection matters, let alone asking the captain to step down.

Buro Mitter
India

Ganguly's fans want him to speak his mind. His cricket does the talking often enough and now with experts, this website included, baying for his blood he should open up. Forget about team for the moment. Let citizen Ganguly air his views. Fans love a straight talking leader, one who hates nonsense.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/219435.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally agree with the comments of the guy called "Buro Mitter"! Ganguly has always been some one who has openly come up with his views in the media! And all those have not caused any rift between him and the team! Why criticise him for coming out this time? Chappell is not going to hold anything against Ganguly for speaking up in the media. Chappell in fact would love it. He is an Aussie and an outspoken guy! So he is not going to mind it! And the other guys in the team are also not going to care about this issue! So from where does the divide come within the team? And Dravid is also not going to have any problems through this issue. In fact, it seems it was Dravid who supported Ganguly during that controversial discussion with Chappell by saying that this is not the right time to bring up this issue!

So Saurav was right! And I wish the media doesnt make a big hullaboo over this! Nothing will happen with Team India! It just needs its players to come back to form. Once everyone gets back to form together, all will get sorted out and the unity would once again come to the fore!

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
there is something known as the saturation point.
ganguly has finally cracked open and it is a good thing that he's spoken out.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
iceman_waugh said:
there is something known as the saturation point.
ganguly has finally cracked open and it is a good thing that he's spoken out.

I agree! Also I would say that Ganguly has not crossed the line! Had he exclusively pinpointed on one individual (lets say Chappell!), then it would have been a problem really! But he hasnt really pinpointed on any one individual! So mostly its all going to be speculation by the media on who it is!

All the news so far are from the media and not from any reliable sources. So who knows what happened? Ganguly is still maintaining his silence on that individual but he is still a true professional cricketer and wont let all these things affect the team and his hunger for victories would still remain intact!

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Indiangod said:
Ganguly will come back hard, and make his critics all shut up.
I am really waiting for that to happen. Gets too much stick from the press.
But as of now, he still has a lot to do to warrant his place in the Indian side.

sid_19840

International Coach
I think he shd stay captain for now,if we lose another odi final(assuming that we get there),then the board shd seriously consider sacking him.

ronny_kingsley

Club Cricketer
I think Ganguly has reached that saturation point not just because of this.

Well to pass on to you all and inside information as to why Kaif was not picked in the I st. There are BCCI elections to be held very soon. Dalmiya wants Mahendra to retain his job as BCCI president. One another group which is gonaa take part in the elections is the IS Bindra group. IS Bindra is the head of Punjab Cricket Association for whom Yuvraj plays.
So getting Yuvraj to play was one of the pacifying moves for the elections.

Saurav didnt mind this (playing Yuvraj for Kaif) but Chappel supposedly told him that he(Ganguly) doesnt warrant a place in front of Kaif. This infuriated Saurav and hence he came out with it very conveniently on ESPN for whom he is a brand ambassador.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Either I stay or Ganguly stays

Guys, now this issue has become so serious that it is going to see the end of either Ganguly or Chappell's service to Indian cricket

Edit: I hope a hasty decision of sacking either one is not taken and after the current series is over, the board intervenes and tries to help these two sort out their issues! I dont want to see either Saurav or Chappell leave the team!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sourav Ganguly is right. He was indeed asked to step down by coach Greg Chappell. But he wasn?t supposed to talk about it. This was to remain amongst him, the coach and Rahul Dravid to whom a rattled Ganguly had turned for advice.
An incensed Chappell has now let it be known that he has had it with the skipper. ?Either he stays or I stay,? he is reported to have said.

So what made him ask Ganguly to step down? And why on the eve of the match? These decisions are surely not made just a few hours ahead of a game.

In a way, it seems, Ganguly asked for it.

The skipper had been in two minds for a while about a slot in the team ? whether to choose his favourite, Yuvraj Singh, or Mohammed Kaif, the man in form in the triangular series that preceded the Tests.

So he went to the coach, asking him for his opinion. Chappell told him either was fine with him and it was the captain?s call. But Ganguly insisted, asking for a ?frank opinion?.

Chappell should?ve warned him. But he didn?t. The ?frank opinion? was devastatingly frank: ?I think both should play as they?re in form and it?s you who needs to sit out as you?re out of form and you need to work on your game.?

This completely threw Ganguly. He sought out his deputy, Rahul Dravid, who rushed to the coach. ?This is not the way to take Indian cricket forward,? Dravid argued with the legendary Australian cricketer.

He even sought manager Amitabh Chowdhary?s help and finally everything was sorted out. Ganguly kept his place in the team, and he also went ahead and picked Yuvraj.

And everyone in the know agreed that not a word of this exchange should get out. Ganguly didn?t keep his end of the deal. And that has surprised insiders.

Those who know the two well, insist that the last has not been heard on the subject.

HTCricket.com

Last edited:

pal

International Coach
Ganguly is pathetic. Would someone who cares about the team bring these types of discussions into public light? If it was Australia or England, they would have solved it internally, instead of complaining like a baby. Now, Ganguly has forsaken the team for his own selfishness.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
After this tour, the BCCI has a choice.

It can no longer happen that that Chappell and Ganguly work together.

It is a win-lose situation..

Ganguly or Chappell?

What could happen?

Just look at this my way.. If Ganguly is lost, Indian cricket is gone down a long way, and may not even make it to another final, let alone lose it.

If Chappell is lost, Indian cricket will be at a huge downfall, as it just ruins their preparation for the World Cups of 2007 and 2011 possibly.

And try it this way, get rid of Chappell and Ganguly both, and Indian cricket will be at a downfall till 2015.

Keep them both, and its mayhem in the team.

Who knows what could happen?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
zMario said:
After this tour, the BCCI has a choice.

It can no longer happen that that Chappell and Ganguly work together.

It is a win-lose situation..

Ganguly or Chappell?

What could happen?

Just look at this my way.. If Ganguly is lost, Indian cricket is gone down a long way, and may not even make it to another final, let alone lose it.

If Chappell is lost, Indian cricket will be at a huge downfall, as it just ruins their preparation for the World Cups of 2007 and 2011 possibly.

And try it this way, get rid of Chappell and Ganguly both, and Indian cricket will be at a downfall till 2015.

Keep them both, and its mayhem in the team.

Who knows what could happen?

Stupid thoughts! How does getting rid of both Ganguly and Chappell make the team downfall till 2015??? do you think the BCCI are a bunch of jokers not to find a better replacement for both of them who will take the team forward?

We have four situations right now in front of us. Lets analyse it:

Ganguly and Chappell sorting out their differences

If this happens, fantastic for Indian cricket! I think Ganguly can do India a favor by going up to Chappell and speaking his heart out! I dont think Chappell would continue being stubborn about leaving if Ganguly tries to sort things out! Chappell is not going to come to Ganguly trying to sort things out! Ganguly should do it. He has done the mistake of speaking out in the public when it was decided that the matter should be amongst those involved. So he has to go and make up with Chappell

Chappell being sacked from the team

If this happens, a tragic end for Chappell who had great visions of taking this team forward! But the board cant be discounted to bring in a suitable replacement. But with Chappell gone, I dont see India storming the world with superlative performances. It will remain the same - a team with streaks of brilliant individual performances but collective failures!

Ganguly being sacked from the team

Definitely much better option than the above second option! He has committed the sin of spilling the secret in the public and most probably would be the one to pay for it with his rejection from the team! In fact, this wont harm the team at all as replacements are readily available with Yuvraj and/or Kaif available!

If this happens, then one positive would come out - the team is more important than the individual! And it would send a signal to the rest of the world that India is more concerned on its collective brilliance!

Ganguly and Chappell both being sacked

This is the most unlikely option that can happen! But still India wont lose anything. A replacement coach can surely be brought in. And since the stubborn individual (Ganguly) is sacked, the others in the team would feel that individuals are not important and so they would perform better!

bharat

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Ganguly is an a$$.

I was really unhappy after reading the reports on this issue on newspapers-The Hindu & Indian Express.

Greg was right..he planed for the future.Kaif is in excellent form & Ganguly is the only Indian player who is not in form.So there is nothing wrong is replacing a player for the welfare of the team.

If I had power to manage the team I'd keep Ganguly as super sub for ODIs.
i.e Sachin will bat & when the team fields Saurav will come as the s-sub.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
bharat said:
Ganguly is an a$$.

I was really unhappy after reading the reports on this issue on newspapers-The Hindu & Indian Express.

Greg was right..he planed for the future.Kaif is in excellent form & Ganguly is the only Indian player who is not in form.So there is nothing wrong is replacing a player for the welfare of the team.

If I had power to manage the team I'd keep Ganguly as super sub for ODIs.
i.e Sachin will bat & when the team fields Saurav will come as the s-sub.

Why have Saurav in the team when he doesnt bat? I think Saurav would instead retire from cricket if he is not allowed to bat?

Indiangod

International Coach
Honestly I want Ganguly to stay, he had troubles before and right now, he had troubles in australia when he played his first odi, when the F****N Australian media was allover him, and when S wuagh wrongly critiscised ganguly, but As I now ganguly he took it personalley and hit back with a as a captain and walloped the aussies in 2001. In my views the australians have an what shall I call it a grudge on Ganguly, and S wuagh was not the first, now Greg an Idoit saying to Ganguly he should step down, I know is not in the best of form right now but he is improving and getting better.I know Sachin will back him, and so should dravid who was denied an axing in the Indian team in 2001 by Ganguly. Not the best of times for the Indian team if ganguly goes, then Our hopes of winning the world cup is shattered, its true. Dravids not the best captain and he his not better then Ganguly.

Users who are viewing this thread