Is Ganguly right in his outburst about his captaincy?

T20

Panel of Selectors
Ganguly was not right in going public with this. He had scored a century (yeah I know just Zimbabwe..) and should have kept quite as I don't see how Chappell could have 'suggested' him stepping down after it.
On the other hand probably Chappelle could have selected a better time or place to put across his 'suggestion'?

bharat

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Whatever it is I agree with Greg Chappel's point.
Eventhough I'm a Indian team supporter..I recomend Saurav to step down & give place to youngsters.

He's been out of form for years(or atleast months).That's too much.
Kaif is in excellent form so he dosen't deserve a place in the team?

if a player dosen't play well & also looses series after series after series as captain..naturally tends to get chucked out.

The past records are not going to win matches for the team..the performance on a day counts.

Also other players who are surviving on past records are Sachin & Laxman(though he played well in the 1st test..expect him to turn crappy again in the next test)

Mahesh Babu

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
bharat said:
Eventhough I'm a Indian team supporter..I recomend Saurav to step down & give place to youngsters.

if a player dosen't play well & also looses series after series after series as captain..naturally tends to get chucked out.

The past records are not going to win matches for the team..the performance on a day counts.

Also other players who are surviving on past records are Sachin & Laxman(though he played well in the 1st test..expect him to turn crappy again in the next test)
I agree but ...
Class is permanent and form is temporary :rolleyes:
Ok now if kaif is given a chance.What if he turns out to be another Ganguly?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Indiangod said:
Honestly I want Ganguly to stay, he had troubles before and right now, he had troubles in australia when he played his first odi, when the F****N Australian media was allover him, and when S wuagh wrongly critiscised ganguly, but As I now ganguly he took it personalley and hit back with a as a captain and walloped the aussies in 2001. In my views the australians have an what shall I call it a grudge on Ganguly, and S wuagh was not the first, now Greg an Idoit saying to Ganguly he should step down, I know is not in the best of form right now but he is improving and getting better.I know Sachin will back him, and so should dravid who was denied an axing in the Indian team in 2001 by Ganguly. Not the best of times for the Indian team if ganguly goes, then Our hopes of winning the world cup is shattered, its true. Dravids not the best captain and he his not better then Ganguly.

Somehow, I dont feel like agreeing with you! I have found the Aussies to be downright and outspoken, one who do not mince their words! Chappell could be one of those. And what agenda would he have against ganguly? Ganguly is known to have flown to Australia to seek batting lessons from Chappell (remember that 144 vs Australia in Brisbane 2003?). Chappell has always been in praise of the Indian skipper. But now that he is the coach, he gives more importance to the team than the individuals

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Wow, I want in on this discussion. I think Ganguly and Chappell will be able to sort out their differences. The media always has the propensity to blow things out of proportion--that's how money is made. Does anyone here think that both Ganguly and Chappell are immature enough to destroy a team that showed flourishes of brilliance and may be on its path to greatness? I don't think these guys are idiots. Ganguly, I'm sure, understands that the shrewdness of Chappell's opinion was not personal. As a human being and a successful contributor to Indian cricket, Ganguly has got to take a serious and mature look at the situation.

As for Dada's century, I didn't watch it but it did seem painstakingly slow. Cricket has now evolved and runs are being scored much quicker. Ganguly has seemed to absorb all the momentum of the Indian innings and kill it, in the past. Someone commented about Tendulkar 'maturing' with his new approach--one would notice that he did not change the momentum of the innings. Sourav has, in the past, batted so slowly that the run rate in a session has dropped from 4.5 to below 3.

Anyhow, both camps need to cool down and talk. I am sure a solution can be reached without bringing out the guillotine.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
sohummisra said:
Wow, I want in on this discussion. I think Ganguly and Chappell will be able to sort out their differences. The media always has the propensity to blow things out of proportion--that's how money is made. Does anyone here think that both Ganguly and Chappell are immature enough to destroy a team that showed flourishes of brilliance and may be on its path to greatness? I don't think these guys are idiots. Ganguly, I'm sure, understands that the shrewdness of Chappell's opinion was not personal. As a human being and a successful contributor to Indian cricket, Ganguly has got to take a serious and mature look at the situation.

As for Dada's century, I didn't watch it but it did seem painstakingly slow. Cricket has now evolved and runs are being scored much quicker. Ganguly has seemed to absorb all the momentum of the Indian innings and kill it, in the past. Someone commented about Tendulkar 'maturing' with his new approach--one would notice that he did not change the momentum of the innings. Sourav has, in the past, batted so slowly that the run rate in a session has dropped from 4.5 to below 3.

Anyhow, both camps need to cool down and talk. I am sure a solution can be reached without bringing out the guillotine.

Lovely post! The same thought lingered into me! But with our media being so bombing with new speculation that it wanders the mind of an avid reader!

Anyways, I agree! Both are mature individuals and would sort out their differences! I am sure the Board (BCCI) would first resort to trying to make both Ganguly & Chappell sort out their differences instead of picking up the knife to axe either one!

Jarryd

Club Cricketer
I think Ganguly should focus more on making runs against half decent opposition more than blowing something up far bigger than it should've been.

T20

Panel of Selectors
it was stupid to go public on the day of his 100..I wonder if he could have done that if he was out for 0. So should have kept quite. Same for Laxman who hit back after scoring a 100 against that attack. now both better put up decent performances in 2nd test and the bulk of odis that follow in India.
anyway hopefully things will calm down and everyone put their minds back on cricket.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
In light of new reports, I tend to agree with the people here who think that Saurav should've kept quite about this situation and resolve it afterwards between himself and his coach. By bringing it out in public he may have made matters worse.

T20

Panel of Selectors
I agree..btw what are the chances of changing that avatar :p :D

satish_lastride

Club Cricketer
bharat said:

i dont see why sourav shud step down..he's been the most successful captain in recent times..heck we went to the world cup finals under his lead..i understand that he has been out of form personally but his leadership has been top class..if ppl are asking ganguly to step down due to lack of form,y didnt they do the same when sachin was out of form himself as a batsman AND captain?...kinda biased i think..

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
the thing is even ganguly averages round about 45 since wc 03 as a captain.
Only thing lacking is consistent performances against good teams.
same took place with sachin.

satish_lastride

Club Cricketer
sachin averaged 50!!! ganguly 45??? man the numbers look good and kinda hard to believe..but i guess it was as iceman put it,they didnt deliver when it was needed of them..but again,ppl askd sachin to step down frm captaincy but never askd him outta the team,while sourav is askd to do both!!!

ndn_enigma

Club Cricketer
IMO, it's time for Ganguly to step aside and stop whining because even legendary batsmen such as Steve Waugh and Mark Taylor made ample way for other captains and still take pride and acknowledge how great their team has become today because of what they instilled in the team, and Ganguly should take pride in achieving what he has. In reality, he isn't a contender for the World Cup 2007 squad as it stands with his current form, he needs to take time on his mental and physical fitness and then accordingly be reconsidered by mid-2006. If he isn't reconsidered, so be it... at least it will encourage upcoming superstars in India to perform well since the placement on the team will finally be based on merit. 5 years ago, if Ganguly took proper physical measures, he could have been one of the best all-arounders in the world today, but it is sad to see his demise, but I would be ecstatic to see a new era in Indian cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread