ITV's FA Cup Coverage

saladguy

PCPL Season 2: Outstanding Performer (Division 2)
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
If you have been following the FA Cup and been watching the highlights on ITV, then you will of probably of been disappointed. Did anyone see it yesturday??? Absolutely shocking in my opinion and it was a disgrace to football. Whilst searching the web this morning seeing if anyone else apart from me and my mates found the coverage complete crap, I came across a thread on Digital Spy that just summed it up perfectly. (Btw, did anybody else notice how crap the camera angle was at Fratton Park?)

Anyway, here's the article I found.

"How long do these sub-standard toss-pots have left on their current contract to show the FA Cup?

I hate them so much. They cannot do anything right.

When Match of the Day was on, you'd see equal coverage of every game, with its own commentator.

ITV has three of four games with commentators, and the rest are one-minute summaries, where you know the result from the first sentence spoken by the summarizer!!

"Crystal Palace lost here last season...and thoughts turned to those moments a year ago once Jay DeMerit fired his team in front (then we see the goal)."

Robbie Earle earns his money by giving non-commital answers to any questions he is asked, like whether or not the disallowed goal should have been allowed:

"Well, you know what Neil Warnock is like, ha ha!" - What an unprofessional response.

Every single thing about ITV smacks of second-rate. Even the camera angle on the first match (Portsmouth vs Swansea at Fratton Park) had a ridiculous camera angle, as though the gantry was closed and the cameraman had to film the match from the bench!

I know they need to show adverts, which means less time watching football, but they could have made the show longer and employed more commentators, and told Robbie Earle to give genuine analysis, instead of cocky, unhelpful one-liners.

There was no match analysis - it was all about how, "they played well," or how, "lower league sides have a tendency to try real hard." No goals were analysed, nor were any crucial decisions.

I miss the BBC. I miss Match of the Day. ITV can't get anything right!

Am I the only one who feels this way?"

Yeah it is pretty shocking. What I don't get is that they gave a proper pre-match coverage for Torquay vs Coventry and not for the big games (Utd vs Spurs etc). I mean if you're not going to do it equally for all of them, atleast spend more time on the bigger games instead of random matches. And how crap is that camera angle? They zoom right in so you can't see the flippin' pitch. Terrible coverage.

[/rant]

I've posted in that DS thread.

The camera angle at Fratton Park would have been the same if it was on BBC. But still, I can't wait until 2012 to get the BBC back.

It was shocking. I seem to recall in the united game that one of the commentators said 'Ofcourse Berbatov was part of the side that were defeated against Portsmouth here last year' which is just crap. Also the building up of Taarabt who according to them was like the best player ever who then went on to do nothing. Finally i was left genuinely laughing when the commentator almost orgasmed at 'A brilliant ball from neville' that went straight out of play only for the commentator to insist that it was still a really good ball because he kicked it really hard...

Oh and also the camera angles at old trafford were awful at times.

I've posted in that DS thread.

The camera angle at Fratton Park would have been the same if it was on BBC. But still, I can't wait until 2012 to get the BBC back.

I would of posted in the DS thread if I could be bothered to create an account :p

saladguy added 3 Minutes and 14 Seconds later...

Btw, if any of you have facebook join the group "ITV's FA Cup Coverage is Shite"

That was the worse coverage of a highlightsI have ever seen m and my family all thought it was terrible. This is why things should be left with MOTD they are easily the best.
The camera angles for some of the games which were being played at premiership grounds were awful, you can accpet that there might be a bit poorer highlights at teams like Kettering as they have smaller stands but ITVs coverage was abysmal, I'd go as far as saying that I don't think I'll watch the highlights again.

Didn't watch it because I knew it wouldn't be quality. But ah well, you can't have everything all the time, the best thing to do would be to give some constructive criticism to ITV on how to improve their coverage rather than blindly criticising it, because they've got the contract for the next few years whether people like it or not!

At least it's not ALL on satellite pay TV!

Yeah exactly Lee, that's the point Rhys was making, just be thankful that it can't happen.

Although with the Sports on TV list up for review, I wouldn't be totally suprised if it changed.

I thought that list being up for review was good and we might get cricket back on free to air telly. (just pray it isn't channel 5 because that would be worse for cricket than 5 :D).

Na it is good, and that would be good, I'm just saying it could potentially have negative consequences as well.

Only the FA Cup final has to currently air on free-to-air TV, so yes, it is still great that we have something on free TV for the masses!

Tbh, ITV's football coverage and especially the commentators and pundits they employ have always been pretty poor. Although honestly it doesn't bother me much, I don't listen to the pre/post/half time bumpf, I watch the game and turn over when the chat is on. Didn't watch the highlights of the Pompey match, but as I don't think it would matter who was covering it, surely that's down to the stadium design (or lack thereof) as to where the cameras can go. It could be much worse, you could be watching footie with five's football commentary team!

Didn't watch the highlights of the Pompey match, but as I don't think it would matter who was covering it, surely that's down to the stadium design (or lack thereof) as to where the cameras can go.

That would be a valid point if it weren't for the fact that Match of the Day always seem to be able to have good camera angles at Fratton Park.

Yeah, the camera angles at Fratton Park on the ITV coverage were completely different to MOTD's.

Users who are viewing this thread