Journalism Competition: 3rd edition

What should the topic for the competition be?

• Has and will Twenty20 change the gameplan of ODI and test cricket?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cricket's bad boys

• Were the 2006-07 Ashes winners Australia's best ever team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Two editions of the PlanetCricket Journalism Competition have taken place within the past year, but due to Colin's work as a teacher, his social life and his work as an administrator here, he hasn't had time to create another one. I spotted this and sent him a private message asking if I could do it or not for now. He gave me his permission!

As before, everyone that enters an article in the competition will have it showcased at PlanetCricket. vCash and a User Title will be awarded to the winner though. This has happened to Puddleduck and Ronaldo777 in the past.

The competition will remain in the same format as Colin started it in:

1. Members nominate an interesting topic to write an article about.

2. Each nominated topic will appear in a poll in which members have a certain amount of time to vote in. The topic with the most amounts of votes on the deadline will be written about by the entrants.

3. Each entrant writes their article on the chosen topic to a maximum of 750 words and sends it to me through private message or through email. The entrants will have one week (7 days) to do this.

4. I will post each article without the author's name on it. This allows members to evaluate it without being influenced by their like or dislike of the author. Members will have one further week (7 days) to decide which one they think is the best and vote for it in a poll.

5. The author of the article that has received the most votes from the members after this one week period will be pronounced the winner of this edition and receive 1000 vCash and a User Title that will appear in all of their posts.

Terms and Conditions

All registered members of PlanetCricket are welcome to enter the competition. Entered articles should not exceed 750 words and it should receive care and attention with regards to spelling and grammar. If an entered article is not considered to meet basic standards of literacy, the organisers of the competition reserve the right to reject it. However, if English is not the author's first language, common sense will prevail. All PlanetCricket rules with regards to profanity still apply to entered articles and the organiser's decision is final.

In the event of a tie, another poll will be created with the articles that were involved included in it. Members will have a further two days (48 hours) to vote for the one which they feel is the best and break the tie. In the unlikely event of a further tie, a PlanetCricket administrator with no interest in the competition will be asked to choose which one wins.#

For now, all you have to do is suggest an interesting topic that you think you and/or other people might like to write about. I will edit this post with each sensible nomination and add them to the upcoming poll.

You have until Sunday 22nd July 2007 at 7:00pm BST to nominate topics.

Feel free to ask any questions about the competition and I will try to answer them as best I can.

Nominated Topics

Batting, batting, batting: What else is left in ODI cricket?
Who is currently the best captain in test cricket?
Who will replace Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne and Justin Langer?
Has and will Twenty20 change the gameplan of ODI and test cricket?
Australia's past 10 years: what an era for cricket.
Who will challenge the Aussies in the next five years?
WWE: Battle of the brands
Should technology become the new umpires?
Cricket's bad boys
Were the 2006-07 Ashes winners Australia's best ever team?
Corruption - in the way of cricket?

Last edited:

sd92

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
This looks awesome Lee, so can i pick any topic, write the article and then send it to you??

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
This looks awesome Lee, so can i pick any topic, write the article and then send it to you??
No... you nominate a topic and then the members vote for which topic they want to write about, then you write about the voted topic and then you vote about the articles that were written about the voted topic.

I nominate the following topic:

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

No, everyone can nominate topics to write an article on until Sunday evening. I will put all the sensible nominations made by this time in a poll for everyone to vote in. When the deadline comes, the topic with the most votes will be written about by all of the contestants.

If you were allowed to write about any topic that you liked, it would be difficult to compare them and make a fair judgement on them at the end.

No... you nominate a topic and then the members vote for which topic they want to write about, then you write about the voted topic and then you vote about the articles that were written about the voted topic.

I nominate the following topic:

Thanks for your nomination, I have added it to the first post.

tassietiger

International Cricketer
Should a dog's parents decide their name or should the owners continue to have the final say?

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
I'm just wondering, are we allowed to write an article if we don't nominate a topic?

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
I might join this.

My topic:Who will replace Glenn McGrath,Shane warne and Justin Langer?

Animator!

School Cricketer
I'm in.

My topic: Who has and will 20Twenty change the gameplan of ODI and Test match cricket?

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
I'll join. As I wanna be a journalist when I'm older.

Australia's past 10 years: What an era in cricket.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
I wanna be as well Gilly (apart from sport dreams of course). I'ld like to be a sports journalist cause you get to o and write about it and also go and watch it.

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
My Topic: Who will challenge the Aussies over the next 5 years?

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Should a dog's parents decide their name or should the owners continue to have the final say?

I said sensible topics!

I'm just wondering, are we allowed to write an article if we don't nominate a topic?

Yeah, everyone is welcome to write an article on the chosen topic.

Yay its back!

My topic : Who is currently the best Test Cricket captain?

I might join this.

My topic:Who will replace Glenn McGrath,Shane warne and Justin Langer?

I'm in.

My topic: Who has and will 20Twenty change the gameplan of ODI and Test match cricket?

It should be known that just because you nominated the topic doesn't mean that it is what you will write about. Everyone who enters will have to write an article on the topic that comes top of the poll.

I'll join. As I wanna be a journalist when I'm older.

Australia's past 10 years: What an era in cricket.

I wanna be as well Gilly (apart from sport dreams of course). I'ld like to be a sports journalist cause you get to o and write about it and also go and watch it.

My Topic: Who will challenge the Aussies over the next 5 years?

Thanks for nominating topics. All of the sensible ones have been added to the first post. Already it looks like there will be more than the three contestants from the last edition!

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
I dont want to enter lol I was just putting in a topic I would read

sd92

International Coach
My nomination is:

WWE-Battle of the brands!

Not that anyone will take my nomination seriously!

Users who are viewing this thread