Journalism contest - Round 2 - "Cricket: A batsmans' game?"

Choose the second subject to be written about

• "Sporting culture in the UK and Australia. Why do Aussies win all the damn time?"

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • "OD cricket vs FC Cricket"

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • "Do the media have too much influence over team selections"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "Diving in Football"

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • "Over-appealing in cricket"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "Afridi: Brilliant hitter or mindless idiot?"

• "Cricket: A batsmans' game?"

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • "Andre Nel - love him or hate him? "

• "England's selection policy whilst touring, is it time for a change?"

• "Statistics: the be-all and end-all?"

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • "Twenty20: Good or bad?"

• "Cricket: A gentleman's game?"

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No, to put it simply Manee :p

Don't treat it as an essay. Put the most interesting point at the top and then put the facts down in the following pars. Don't put opinion in it if you can help it. As I said, it's not a blog. A little bit of discrete opinion is ok though.

Hmm, seems interesting. I'm not that good at writing, so I won't join in, but I'd like to see what people write on this.
My nomination for a topic, slightly obvious question, but "Why have England gone downhill since the Rugby World Cup 2003?"

Should drugs in cricket be taken more seriously, eg, harsher punishments?

JamesyJames3 said:
No, to put it simply Manee :p

Don't treat it as an essay. Put the most interesting point at the top and then put the facts down in the following pars. Don't put opinion in it if you can help it. As I said, it's not a blog. A little bit of discrete opinion is ok though.
I think personal opinions should be allowed to come into it. It'll be interesting to view the point of view of the author. This is not really a match report, so I don't really see why it should be unbiased.

Columnists in the Sun do earn a lot of money....

Yeah, there are no specific guidelines for what we're looking for other than an interesting, informed piece of writing. I don't think being over-dogmatic or polemical will really be a problem; plenty of journalists are in the broadsheets as well as the tabloids.

Depends though doesn't it James? You get some journalists that are tasked with writing an analysis or detailed report that is essentially their opinion. Whilst you also get a reporting journalist that is tasked with getting the facts across without their own bias.

edit - sorry typed this at 9pm and realised Spooks had started so had to run downstairs.. just came up and pushed post and seen that other people have sort of said the same thing.

It's like being at school - Colin's a qualified teacher isn't he?!

Skateboarder said:
It's like being at school - Colin's a qualified teacher isn't he?!

Not quite yet. Plus I don't want people to think of this like a school assignment. It's meant to be fun! (not that all the work I set in school isn't fun!)

barmyarmy said:
Not quite yet. Plus I don't want people to think of this like a school assignment. It's meant to be fun! (not that all the work I set in school isn't fun!)
lol. If I thought that every piece I write for newspapers in the future was a school assignment, I would go mad...

This looks brilliant, if it extends past 3 weeks from now I'd love to write something as my exams will just be finished. Good luck to everyone involved!

I have to write an article for something else I am doing, so I may as well give this a shot.

puddleduck said:
Depends though doesn't it James? You get some journalists that are tasked with writing an analysis or detailed report that is essentially their opinion. Whilst you also get a reporting journalist that is tasked with getting the facts across without their own bias.

edit - sorry typed this at 9pm and realised Spooks had started so had to run downstairs.. just came up and pushed post and seen that other people have sort of said the same thing.

Youre right. However these that put accross opinions are more often than not columists who are ex professionals/sportsmen who are not actually journalists.

Adarsh - I didn't say you couldn't put opinion in, but the best journalism comes from stating the facts, not using your own opinion.

I don't know, I disagree. I think putting your opinion across eloquently and persuasively (if need be) can be better than merely "stating the facts". But anyway, you're more experienced at this than I am...

These are the topics going into the poll at present:

"Fletcher's 'everyone must do everything' policy, right or wrong?"
"The idea of England playing two spinners"
"Jones vs Read"
"Money in Football"
"Why have England gone downhill since the Rugby World Cup 2003?"
"Should drugs in cricket be taken more seriously? eg, harsher punishments"
"Sporting culture in the UK and Australia. Why do Aussies win all the damn time?"

I'll take any further nominations until saturday pm (ish).

Could i put forward one?

If so, "Is it good for the Ashes with the friendliness of the teams?"

I havnt worded it well there, if you understand what i mean, could you re-word it to sound better Colin?

Simbazz said:
Could i put forward one?

If so, "Is it good for the Ashes with the friendliness of the teams?"

I havnt worded it well there, if you understand what i mean, could you re-word it to sound better Colin?

How about "Does the camaraderie that exists between the Australian and English teams add to or detract from the series as a contest?"

Users who are viewing this thread