keepcricketfree.com

tomcress2000 said:
Who ever said it was a problem Sky showing away test series?

We will see, I dont think cricket will die because its on Sky, infact the complete opposite i think it will grow. Sky is a massive company they will market it and use it as a way to get more subscribers, it wont be in their interests to just hide it away so no one knows its going on. Im certain they will be marketing it in a big way, better than BBC or C4 ever did.

I would like to think the people running the game know what they are doing and certanly have a greater understanding of the difficulties they face than people on a bulletin board, im sure they would have considered the pros and cons of choosing sky and without a doubt would have considered the issues you raise.

These petitions are a total waste of time, they are not going to suddenly cancel the contract with Sky. We will have to wait and see but im very confident that there is nothing to worry about.

Well it's nice that someone from the ECB is visiting the site but you're going to have to do better than that...

Also note that the only way Sky are going to be able to promote the game is by advertising on free to air TV Channels. And loads of people watch the adverts don't they?

And you still have not addressed the sponsorship issue.

Well they've advertised Sky+ on ITv and C4 before.

Can't see it benefiting cricket though.

Sureshot said:
Well they've advertised Sky+ on ITv and C4 before.

Can't see it benefiting cricket though.
I know they'll advertise it, my point is that adverts are not the best place to promote it, as many people now simply don't bother watching adverts.

It's not like football or rugby when it can be shown in pubs because cricket is still not popular enough to market a 5 day test match in a pub, especially if it is an away series which is on in the early hours of the morning.

This means that you need to subscribe to sky at home if you wish to watch cricket in England.

I don't have sky because I wouldn't use it enough to justify paying the subscription package, but now if I want to watch cricket I'm going to have to pay somewhere around 40 pound a month for it. Hmmmm but cricket won't be on every month so I'll be paying for nothing.

Ah well I guess if I don't subscribe to it then the 480 quid I'd save a year would be enough for me to go and watch most of the tests live at the ground!!!!

I just signed, good luck to all English cricket fans on this front.

I think a new free-to-air deal between Channel 9 and Cricket Australia was just signed a couple of months back (I seem to recall some controversy surrounding an agreement to show games in Melbourne live to the gate even when not sold out). Can any Aussies confirm this?

It was great to see SBS pick up the Ashes here in Australia (initially it was only going to be broadcast on subscription telly), and receive their highest ever share of the ratings durind the last Test!

Reider84 said:
It's not like football or rugby when it can be shown in pubs because cricket is still not popular enough to market a 5 day test match in a pub, especially if it is an away series which is on in the early hours of the morning.

This means that you need to subscribe to sky at home if you wish to watch cricket in England.

I don't have sky because I wouldn't use it enough to justify paying the subscription package, but now if I want to watch cricket I'm going to have to pay somewhere around 40 pound a month for it. Hmmmm but cricket won't be on every month so I'll be paying for nothing.

Ah well I guess if I don't subscribe to it then the 480 quid I'd save a year would be enough for me to go and watch most of the tests live at the ground!!!!

More like ?30, if you go with Sky i would never recommend anyone joining NTL if they were going to choose between the two. Had so many problems it's beyond a joke.

Sureshot said:
More like ?30, if you go with Sky i would never recommend anyone joining NTL if they were going to choose between the two. Had so many problems it's beyond a joke.
Some of us are stuck with NTL. I can't put a dish up where I live as I live in a listed building.

Although in just over a month I'm yet to have any problems with NTL.

Just another thought...... there will be some people who can't put a satelite dish up, and live an area not covered by cable TV. So how do they watch cricket next year?

They can't.

I didn't know you couldn't put up a dish in a listed building.

Is that a University?

Have a look at the recent signings...

Jon Hill Telecoms Engineer UK
Joseph Pereira Civil Servant UK
Tony Blair MP UK
Roy Keane Cock UK
Carol Vorderman Typesetter and Loans UK
stuart ellis veterinary surgeon UK
Shouvik Sen Sales Manager UK
Nicolette Tomkinson Valuer UK
Jeremy Chomeczko IT Consultant UK

Perhaps there is more support than we thought ;)

Sureshot said:
They can't.

I didn't know you couldn't put up a dish in a listed building.

Is that a University?
Not a University no, it's an old converted Warehouse. You can't change the outside other than to add security lights.

Wether you can put a dish up or not depends on what grade of listed building it is. On mine you can't.

andrew_nixon said:
Just another thought...... there will be some people who can't put a satelite dish up, and live an area not covered by cable TV. So how do they watch cricket next year?

They get to watch Channel 5's highlights programme. It's on in PRIME TIME!!! That should surely be enough.

Oh yeah. 30 mins of highlights in primetime. That definitely makes up for losing the rights.
I really hate test highlights; it's all boundaries and wickets. You don't get to see the build up of pressure, the play and misses, the individual struggles. Everything in short that makes Test cricket special.

denver82 said:
They get to watch Channel 5's highlights programme. It's on in PRIME TIME!!! That should surely be enough.

Also, not everyone in England can get Channel 5, so this crap about it being available to the whole country is untrue.

barmyarmy said:
Oh yeah. 30 mins of highlights in primetime. That definitely makes up for losing the rights. I really hate test highlights; it's all boundaries and wickets. You don't get to see the build up of pressure, the play and misses, the individual struggles. Everything in short that makes Test cricket special.

Couldn't agree more Colin.

Users who are viewing this thread