Kevin Pietersen

You are all talking about Flintoff and Pietersen together, wasnt it Pietersen replacing Flintoff in the ODI's when Flintof had the injury , thats if im right , and if I am right then Pietersen would not have played in The ODI's or he might have if the selectors give him a go !

Flintoff and Pietersen together is a frightening prospect. Especially if you are a bowler bowling against them!

Shevchenko said:
You are all talking about Flintoff and Pietersen together, wasnt it Pietersen replacing Flintoff in the ODI's when Flintof had the injury , thats if im right , and if I am right then Pietersen would not have played in The ODI's or he might have if the selectors give him a go !

Flintoff pulled out of the Zimbabwe trip because he didn't want to go, as did Harmison. But yeh, Pietersen may not have got his chance if Flintoff went, although it was too good a opportunity to miss in giving him (Pietersen) a chance at international level anyway. Although its debatable whether Zimbabwe are good enough, but thats a different topic.

Trescothick said:
That is exactly what he did in the 7th ODI on Sunday.

If he's sensible enough to do that in ODis, I'm sure he can manage it in test cricket too.

It must have been a good knock, the South African fans applauded him!

I think this is going the same very POM way . What Pietersen has achieved has been against a below 1st class bowling attack of Zimbabwe and a South African attack which can be best described as MEDIOCRE with the exception of the gr8 POLLOCK .

They said "Treescothick is the best new recruit in International Test cricket ". Now his carrear has shaped up into a mess.

Ditto for Vaughan. he was supposed to "be better than best". Now a situation has arrived that if in any case he looses captainship , he will loose his place in the team.

Hope Pietersen lives up to his hype.

ronny_kingsley said:
I think this is going the same very POM way . What Pietersen has achieved has been against a below 1st class bowling attack of Zimbabwe and a South African attack which can be best described as MEDIOCRE with the exception of the gr8 POLLOCK .

They said "Treescothick is the best new recruit in International Test cricket ". Now his carrear has shaped up into a mess.

Is this the same 'mediocre' South Africa attack that took them to a 4-1 series win in the ODI series? Does this mean Ntini and Nel are also 'mediocre' bowlers as you say with the exception of Pollock? I don't think so! Ntini, top class performer. Nel has potential at both test and ODI level. Boje, ok maybe not the best spinner in the world, but he's not bad. Pietersen has huge potential. The innings against SA in the final ODI was classy, the 100 off 69 balls was a supurb demonstration of hitting. He has the talent to play different styles of innings.

Trescothick's career is a mess is it? I think most people would be very happy to have the record he does. Ok, his record away from home isn't the best (31 matches 2057 runs @ 34.86 50's-9 100's-4) but his home record is supurb (28 matches 2373 runs @ 53.93 50's-15 100's-6). His career record at test level is:
Played - 59
Runs - 4430
H/S - 219
Average - 43.00
50's - 24
100's - 10

He averages over 45 against every team except Australia at home.

You call that a mess?

Last edited:
Trescothink has excelled himself at international level, if you look at his technique, its very flawed, no feet movement and his backswing comes down from about 2nd slip. If i saw someone batting like this i would doubt him at getting any runs at county cricket let alone averaging 43 at test cricket!!

I think either nixon and stevie have gone blind or they have lost their sense of English. They should go out there (forum where it was posted) and read out loud and they will understand it was a sarcastic loook at ASH... .Please someone else read for them and let them know the meaning

As far as Trescothick is concerned the word "MESS" was used comparing what he was supposed to achive.Anyway he is not good enough for a SUPER SERIES callup
and thats the botomline.

ronny_kingsley said:
I think either nixon and stevie have gone blind or they have lost their sense of English. They should go out there (forum where it was posted) and read out loud and they will understand it was a sarcastic loook at ASH... .Please someone else read for them and let them know the meaning

I like it, 'lost their sense of English' must give that to you, thats a good one.

ronny_kingsley said:
As far as Trescothick is concerned the word "MESS" was used comparing what he was supposed to achive.Anyway he is not good enough for a SUPER SERIES callup
and thats the botomline.

Who said anything about him being good enough for the super series?

If Trescothick played like he does at home, when he's on tour, we would be talking about one hell of a player! Whilst he didn't have the best tour, some innings were more like the Trescothick we know who plays in England. The 132 in the Durban test, then the fabulous 180 in the Jo'burg test.

Well Pietersen has certainly proved himself to be capable in the 1-day game, but that does NOT necessarily make him a test batsman. Look how long it has taken Flintoff to adjust to the longer form.

Playing Kevin in the ashes series would be a risk. For starters, who would he replace? Tres, Strauss, Vaughn & Flintoff are pretty much guaranteed places (fitness aside) as batsmen. This means he would have to replace Butcher, Key or Thorpe in the squad. Butcher and Thorpey have the experience essential for a battle with the Aussies, which, assuming Jones as keeper, Giles for spin, Freddie as all-rounder and 3 quicks, means he is fighting with Key for the 12th man duties.

Maybe he could play if a spinner were deemed unneccessary - again, do you go for Key as a true batsmen, or Pietersen coming in after Flintoff for quick runs? As long as those two don't start competing with each other, the middle order could be the strongest we've had in years. Or we could suddenly have 2 batsmen whose figures start reading "stumped 2nd ball for 6"

The 1-days in S.A. were perfect for him. He certainly has the mental temprament to deal with hostile crowds, and he had a huge point to prove. Remember, this was the country who told him he wasn't good enough to play for them.

Whether he will develop into a test cricketer remains to be seen. He certainly has the ability - but then so did Ronnie Irani, Nick Knight, John Crawley etc, etc.

I think we take out Key, and put Vaughan up to 3, with Pietersen 4. No doubt, on his, Rob Key is a very good player, but I don't think he's shown enough to warrant giving him a permanant place.

stevie said:
I think we take out Key, and put Vaughan up to 3, with Pietersen 4. No doubt, on his, Rob Key is a very good player, but I don't think he's shown enough to warrant giving him a permanant place.
Are you ruling out Butcher and Thorpe? Or is this a "future consideration" for after Thorpey retires which is going to be soon I would think. Interesting that you would have Pietersen higher up the order than Flintoff as well.

FishBowlMan said:
Are you ruling out Butcher and Thorpe? Or is this a "future consideration" for after Thorpey retires which is going to be soon I would think. Interesting that you would have Pietersen higher up the order than Flintoff as well.

I'm not ruling Thorpe out, but I am ruling Butcher out.

My team would be:

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Pietersen
Thorpe
Flintoff
G Jones
Giles
Hoggard
S Jones
Harmison - only if he's bowling like he did through most of 2004.

I think for Butcher, his international days are over, which i'm sad to say. To get injuries like he has is very unfortunate, but to go back to him could be a step backwards now. Had he not been injured, then I would be all for him being in that team in the number 3 spot.

The thing with Pietersen is he's a all out batsman, Flintoff is a all-rounder, and has a higher work load than Pietersen. I'm much happier with having Flintoff down the order, where he can play his way. Pietersen is a man who has shown himself to be able to play different types of innings. Say we're 20/2, i'd be much more confident about having KP coming in at that time than Flintoff.

Users who are viewing this thread