Kohli's Reaction To Sledging Needs To Improve

hawkeye

Club Cricketer
Was Kohli's reaction to the chatter in the middle the correct one or was he just lucky to have survived. I think he was lucky.

It all started when Mitchell Johnson's aggressive attempt to throw down the stumps ended with Kohli being hit. The bowler apologized immediately, but Kohli seemed to think the throw actually achieved the throwers objective. He seethed. And he didn't care that it showed either.More crucially, Kohli appeared to lose some control. He was lucky to miss the very next delivery with an extravagant swish aimed somewhere on the offside; his left foot was nowhere close to where it should have been. Three balls later another loose drive found a path between third slip and gully on its way to the boundary.

Off the first ball of Johnson's next over, he offered a fairly simple catch to Shane Watson at slip, and was happy, along with all of India, to see it grassed. During Johnson's next over, the batsman was visited by fortune once again when he top-edged an ill-advised pull shot that just managed to elude a hard running Brad Haddin. All this time, the atmosphere was steeped in tension and thick with chatter. Kohli seemed content to take on anyone half-willing to engage, but he also seemed to lose focus, thereby playing right into his opponents hands.

It's Not Personal Kohli, It's Business

B

Bigby Wolf

Was Kohli's reaction to the chatter in the middle the correct one or was he just lucky to have survived. I think he was lucky.

Kohli is a BULLDOG attitude Player.I dont think its gonna affect his game nor he will have any regret.
He is giving Aussies the taste of their own medicine.They might call him spoilt brat or sook or anythink.
Ya he was lucky on both occasions and also stretched it bit too far by saying in media.
He needs to improve for the betterment of the game of cricket.

hawkeye

Club Cricketer
Kohli is a BULLDOG attitude Player.I dont think its gonna affect his game nor he will have any regret.
He is giving Aussies the taste of their own medicine.They might call him spoilt brat or sook or anythink.
Ya he was lucky on both occasions and also stretched it bit too far by saying in media.
He needs to improve for the betterment of the game of cricket.
You are arguing both sides.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer

Of course it was the right one. The Aussies always have a real go in their backyard, lions at home but gazelles away. I hate that about them, they lack a certain spine when things get too hot for them but they expect everyone else to take their crap in their house, that's not gonna happen. Players should be fined for making excessive comments, like "break your tweaking arm" and all that.

I can guarantee if it was the Aussies on the receiving end they'd file complaints, whine and moan and berate people on the media, good on you Kohli, wish he tells them how it is.

lion100lion

International Coach
Indian players don't know the art of sledging. They take it too personally imo.
We as Indians have seen the likes of Sachin, Dhoni, Gavaskar...etc who are all arguably greatest of their time. They all touched their peak (of course their team did too) without sledging and without responding to sledging.

mohit_dude10

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
We as Indians have seen the likes of Sachin, Dhoni, Gavaskar...etc who are all arguably greatest of their time. They all touched their peak (of course their team did too) without sledging and without responding to sledging.

I don't think sledging back is wrong and Kohli should do it but he often gets carried away. The way he spoke in PC about it seemed like he took it personally and that can sometimes cloud your judgement on field.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Indian players don't know the art of sledging. They take it too personally imo.

Not just Indian players. It can be generalized to Indians in particular. If you try to pull the leg of an Indian, most likely you will find him/her take it personally. Its happened with me.

S

Satan666

Not just Indian players. It can be generalized to Indians in particular. If you try to pull the leg of an Indian, most likely you will find him/her take it personally. Its happened with me.

Oh tell us something we dont already know ;)

ethybubs

International Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Anyone who has actually been involved in sledging should be able to tell you that, most of the, it's actually quite fun. Kohli should be welcome to sledge back if he wishes.

Jagar

Club Captain
Anyone who celebrates Kohli can not criticise Australian players for the same things without being a hypocrite. Wonder if his attitude (which is good for the game in my opinion) will be 'standing up' when India is playing Zimbabwe.

The team at the top is always criticised for their strategies as being against the spirit of the game, and the underdogs (and bizarrely dominant powers from yesteryear) are celebrated for using the exact same strategies. No-one remembers the name of the West Indian captain who bowled bodyline against the English, no-one remembers the ineffectual bowlers with Meckiff's action, Lillee and Thomson weren't as criticised for their aggressive short bowling as the dominant West Indian barrage, and more recently the Australians have been criticised heavily for sledging, whereas other sides have sledged both in the past and present.

I think it will be a great thing if India can use sledging to help make their side a dominant force, as I believe that it's called 'test' cricket for a reason, and that sledging is a valid tactic, (within reason, Harbhajan and Lehmann being examples of crossing the line).

themusketeer

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I don't think sledging back is wrong and Kohli should do it but he often gets carried away. The way he spoke in PC about it seemed like he took it personally and that can sometimes cloud your judgement on field.

On the First Glance I thought PC = PlanetCricket :p

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
As long as it is a banter and nothing too personal using expletives or abuses, it is totally fine. It should be taken as fun and replied using wit if you want to instead of getting angry. As a Keeper during my time growing up from school cricket to college, I have no shame accepting that i sledged each and every batsman while keeping. Sometimes it would be for distracting batsman, sometimes it would be because Its a long day in field and I'm getting bored, sometimes just because i feel like it, but never ever i got personal. I used to crack jokes, patronise batsman, mimic someone and stuff like this. Things never get out of control but on occasions i get too chatty and have been told by umpires to keep my mouth shut when some batsman complained. :p That means, mission accomplished, batsman is distracted ;)

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
LOL @ 'he shouldn't have said anything in the press conference'. I don't see how that makes any difference. He was asked questions about sledging, and he just told it how it was. It was a perfectly normal reaction. Nothing worth cribbing about. And he is not exactly the first guy to talk about it in the media.

Users who are viewing this thread