Lanky Finn adds height to English bowling depth

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
MOST of the England players touring South Africa next month can expect to go to Australia a year from now for the next Ashes series. But three outsiders could force themselves in: Joe Denly, if one of the main batsmen fails; Craig Kieswetter, if Steve Davies looks out of his depth as a keeper batting at No.6; and Steve Finn.

England have always craved that young, tall fast bowler who can go to Australia and tip the balance, which is normally weighted in favour of the home side. In 1970-71, Bob Willis made a decisive difference aged 21, and, at around the two-metre mark, Finn will have the same age, height and pace by next November.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cricket/finn-adds-height-to-attack/2009/10/18/1255800504210.html

At 2m he will definitely have that McGrath like bounce, if he also adds speed he could have a Sharma like impact on us.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
From what I've heard Finn has a lot of potential, but he isn't anywhere near good enough at the moment. I've seen him play over the last year or so and he didn't look that impressive, he doesn't have that much pace. It would be nice to see England go in a different direction when picking fast bowlers, I just hope they don't pick him too early.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
pakistan have just come up with some 7 foot giant as well. it's about skill though, no use being tall if you have no technique thankfully.

an average of 30 is pretty good when you play all your home games at lords but he's not very fast from what I've seen.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
7 foot? He would be one of the tallest bowlers ever, do you know his name? Wouldn't mind reading his profile.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Mohammad Irfan, who is making his first class debut this season.

PakPassion.net had alot to do with him being uncovered; he's come from Multan.

Pakpassion.net - The Home of Pakistan Cricket

Start there, and work your way up from page 3 to 1 - its quite an interesting story about how one goes from the club cricket level to the first-class level in the matter of a few months.

He's 7 foot 2 inches reportedly, and has just taken 7/113 in the 2nd innings of the ongoing KRL v HBL game (to follow up with 2/61 in the 1st innings).

He is now the tallest ever player to play FC cricket.

Actually, he's 6 foot 10 inches, which still breaks the record I believe (Express News was reporting 7 foot 2 inches).

Last edited:

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
The BCA XI consisted mainly of teenagers and they struggled for consistency. However, Holder, who stands at six foot seven and is known as 'Little Big Bird' for his resemblance to Joel Garner, claimed both wickets to fall before lunch.

thats a quote from when England last came to the WI. Its from one of their tour matches when they played the Barbados Cricket Association President's XI.

here is the scorecard

Tour Match: BCA President's XI v England XI at Lucas Street, Feb 22-23, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

It would be nice to see him play for Barbados this year but bowlers like Best and Collymore will get in ahead.

Last edited:

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Will Jefferson, man he was a gigantic talent. He had huge potential, and wasn't afraid to use the long handle. Getting him out was a tall order. It was a shame he never reached the great heights his enormous talent promised.

Last edited:

manee

Chairman of Selectors
From what I've heard Finn has a lot of potential, but he isn't anywhere near good enough at the moment. I've seen him play over the last year or so and he didn't look that impressive, he doesn't have that much pace. It would be nice to see England go in a different direction when picking fast bowlers, I just hope they don't pick him too early.

Would agree with that. Finn is nowhere near ready for international cricket and would need a miraculous improvement to change that.

I do take exception to this part of the article...

Last week, Finn was selected in the B category of the England Performance Programme, but he has to be a better prospect than the two pace bowlers named in the A category: Mark Davies, who could not command a regular place at Durham, and Amjad Khan, both of whom are 29.

Noting that Davies cannot hold down a regular Durham slot is plain wrong more than anything else. He is injury prone, he has not been repeatadly dropped throughout the season, as it may seem from someone merely looking at scorecards. However, as his First Class record shows, he is a magnificant talent and a possible future England candidate.

TheGreemSim

International Cricketer
Will Jefferson, man he was a gigantic talent. He had huge potential, and wasn't afraid to use the long handle. Getting him out was a tall order. It was a shame he never reached the great heights his enormous talent promised.

Ba-dum tsch

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Mohammad Irfan, who is making his first class debut this season.

PakPassion.net had alot to do with him being uncovered; he's come from Multan.

Pakpassion.net - The Home of Pakistan Cricket

Start there, and work your way up from page 3 to 1 - its quite an interesting story about how one goes from the club cricket level to the first-class level in the matter of a few months.

He's 7 foot 2 inches reportedly, and has just taken 7/113 in the 2nd innings of the ongoing KRL v HBL game (to follow up with 2/61 in the 1st innings).

He is now the tallest ever player to play FC cricket.

Actually, he's 6 foot 10 inches, which still breaks the record I believe (Express News was reporting 7 foot 2 inches).

Cricinfo has him at 7 foot 1 inch, certainly is one tall guy going by the pictures. If he does make it to the next level he should prove a handful.

P

pcfan123

Cricinfo has him at 7 foot 1 inch, certainly is one tall guy going by the pictures. If he does make it to the next level he should prove a handful.

Cricinfo also says that Afridi is 29 :sarcasm.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Steven Finn has some potential. I don't think he's ready yet but if he takes wickets next year, he should get a call up. We need someone with pace and bounce since Harmison's career looks to be over.

Users who are viewing this thread